Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone still waiting for stuff from China?

Comments

Where are you getting the information that it arrived in Ireland three days after it left China ?

I'd be amazed if it did, especially with christmas in between.

The tracking here:

https://t.17track.net/en#nums=RB430136440SG

Anyway it's panic over as it seems they've finally processed it:

https://track.anpost.ie/TrackingResults.aspx?rtt=1&items=RB430136440SG

:)

Glebee wrote: »
    Arrived this morning.:D How come it took since the 12th December to reach my home address? Is it customs? Just curious.
    It may not have genuinely come to Ireland on the 12th. A lot of the tracking from places like Gearbest is fake
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103558683&postcount=568

(two Gearbest parcels from two different months. The time it takes to go from one leg of the journey to the next is identical for both parcels to the nearest minute. I have half a dozen tracking #s with same behaviour. If you didn't know better you would think it was 'sitting' in Ireland for weeks when in reality it was probably still on a boat somewhere)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

My latest experiences with An Rust..were a registered package (which had served it's time in An Post prison) was then given to somebody with a totally different name in a town about a hundred miles away.
    When I contacted An Rust 'customer service' I got a reply 2 weeks later saying sender must have given me wrong tracking number and to contact them :rolleyes:

last week arrived home to find a letter for a local company in my postbox..which I then had to deliver to them.

So situation is An Rust giving my post to others and I delivering post for them here.
    You couldn't focking make it up :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you didn't know better you would think it was 'sitting' in Ireland for weeks when in reality it was probably still on a boat somewhere

For christs sake. None of this stuff comes by surface mail. It comes by air. No ship can do Shenzen to Portsmouth in 9 fecking days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

ED E wrote: »
    For christs sake. None of this stuff comes by surface mail. It comes by air. No ship can do Shenzen to Portsmouth in 9 fecking days.

You're assuming that mail destined for Ireland is taking the same route as mail destined for the UK and perhaps it is or perhaps not. As far as I can see nobody in this thread can definitively state what the transit route or routes used are.

Surface mail exists.

In any case 'slow boat from China' is a tongue-in-cheek phrase referring to things which takes months to arrive.

There are various routes and postal options from Asia to Ireland. Sometimes involving multiple hops and distribution centers. Sometimes involving a mixture of surface and air. Anything involving lithium batteries is very hard to ship via air lately.

Sometimes you can choose, sometimes you are simply given the option of free 'standard shipping' and it comes however it comes.

I've already shown that some Chinese shippers give fake tracking data. You are assuming your packets come from China to Ireland in 3 days based on some Chinese website and then are sitting around in Ireland doing nothing for a month. I'm simply pointing out that may not be the case.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Surface mail exists.

In any case 'slow boat from China' is a tongue-in-cheek phrase referring to things which takes months to arrive.

There are various routes and postal options from Asia to Ireland. Sometimes involving multiple hops and distribution centers. Sometimes involving a mixture of surface and air. Anything involving lithium batteries is very hard to ship via air lately.

Sometimes you can choose, sometimes you are simply given the option of free 'standard shipping' and it comes however it comes.

I've already shown that some Chinese shippers give fake tracking data. You are assuming your packets come from China to Ireland in 3 days based on some Chinese website and then are sitting around in Ireland doing nothing for a month. I'm simply pointing out that may not be the case.

There is a post going back a bit on this thread, where An Post admit that they may take a month to deliver parcels. Personally I believe it can be a combination of both.....slow shipping and/or slow delivery.

I would trust the Chinese any day before I would trust anything in Ireland...after all the Chinese are not trying to impress anyone with BS...they are simply trying to get their merchandise to the customer as quickly as possible and get paid for it.

The Chinese have a culture of getting things done...not a culture of substituting scutter talk for real work like Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

Here I some recent order I made and the waiting times.

For me the times are typical for An Post compared to other years.
    The odd time I've got an item in about a week, and I even waited nearly a year once.
    • 7 Nov - 8 Dec
      31 Days
    • 7 Nov - 12 Dec
      35 Days
    • 13 Nov - 12 Dec
      29 Days
    • 25 Nov - 18 Jan
      54 Days
    • 29 Nov - 4 Jan
      36 Days
    • 4 Dec - 9 Jan
      36 Days
    • 4 Dec - 15 Jan
      42 Days
    • 4 Dec - 12 Jan
      39 Days
    • 4 Dec - 12 Jan
      39 Days
    • 5 Dec - 9 Jan
      36 Days
    Still Waiting
    1. 2 Dec
      54 Days
    2. 4 Dec----52 Days
    3. 5 Dec----51 Days
    4. 2 Jan----23 Days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭sunbeam

My package dispatched on 26/12/17 and sent to airline on 31/12/17 finally arrived by An Post registered mail today 5/2/18 -41 days

Edited to say that the tracking number only showed up on An Post's website today. I had checked both it and aftership last night and there was no indication that the package had reached Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

One arrived today - 48 days in limbo.

Waitingfor 3 more still...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,552 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I have a package that apparently left china on the 16th of December. It arrived in ireland yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Finally got my package. Two weeks to arrive from China to Ireland. One month for an post to deliver it to me… not bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭flintash

joujoujou wrote:
    One arrived today - 48 days in limbo.

joujoujou wrote:
    Waitingfor 3 more still...

50 days now and still counting....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭taytobreath

ordered one of those xiomai robot hoovers on gearbest on jan16th, still waiting for it to be dispatched

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Previous one delivered in 48 days, another one in just 28. What a surprise!

But it's an exception rather than improvement, I'd say. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

I ordered something on Gearbest on Monday. This morning I received a text from DHL stating that the package was due for delivery today. I wasn't expecting it until monday. Anyway a few minutes later I received a text stating that there is Customs DUTY , VAT and Administration fees due on it. As I wasn't expecting this until monday the earliest I don't have that cash today to pay them.

The reason why I wasn't expecting this until monday was that the tracking emails I received from Gearbest and DHL indicated that the package was due on or after monday. What is the situation here. Will they allow me to pay this on monday and deliver the package on monday or will they deliver the package today and allow me to pay on monday?

Steve30x wrote: »
    I ordered something on Gearbest on Monday. This morning I received a text from DHL stating that the package was due for delivery today. I wasn't expecting it until monday. Anyway a few minutes later I received a text stating that there is Customs DUTY , VAT and Administration fees due on it. As I wasn't expecting this until monday the earliest I don't have that cash today to pay them.

The reason why I wasn't expecting this until monday was that the tracking emails I received from Gearbest and DHL indicated that the package was due on or after monday. What is the situation here. Will they allow me to pay this on monday and deliver the package on monday or will they deliver the package today and allow me to pay on monday?

You don’t pay the delivery guy. There will be an invoice and you have something like two weeks? To pay. I think you can pay at the post office or the bank. It will tell you everything you need to know, on the invoice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭5500

DHL dont deliver and give you 2 weeks to pay, its either at the door or online or they wont handover the package.

You either need to pay the DHL guy at the door or put your tracking number/waybill into dhlpayments.ie and it will take you through the process to pay by card. If you do it online make sure you write down the authorisation code to give to the driver otherwise they wont hand over the package.

5500 wrote: »
    DHL dont deliver and give you 2 weeks to pay, its either at the door or online or they wont handover the package.

You either need to pay the DHL guy at the door or put your tracking number/waybill into dhlpayments.ie and it will take you through the process to pay by card. If you do it online make sure you write down the authorisation code to give to the driver otherwise they wont hand over the package.

Is that so? Admittedly my experience was with fedex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭5500

Yep the opposite of fedex who'll leave the package and then invoice you afterwards. UPS is also the same, they look for charges at the door or wont leave it with you, but I've never actually gotten a text to say X amount is due, and they dont appear to have a link to pay online like DHL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I ordered something on Amazon on the 15th Jan, thinking it was coming from America as the seller details and address were American.

Turns out it is coming from China :mad:

Apparently it has been sent / tracked by dht express. The dht tracking website has it arriving in Ennis on the 26th Jan and it then says 'Item being handed by local courier, tracking ended. estimated delivery 7-15 days' I presume it has been handed over to An Post? Why on earth would An Post sit on it for another week or two? That must only increase the chance of the parcel becoming lost (and it was only a small things I ordered). Does anyone have any experience with dht express?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

mel.b wrote: »
    I ordered something on Amazon on the 15th Jan, thinking it was coming from America as the seller details and address were American.

Turns out it is coming from China :mad:

Apparently it has been sent / tracked by dht express. The dht tracking website has it arriving in Ennis on the 26th Jan and it then says 'Item being handed by local courier, tracking ended. estimated delivery 7-15 days' I presume it has been handed over to An Post? Why on earth would An Post sit on it for another week or two? That must only increase the chance of the parcel becoming lost (and it was only a small things I ordered). Does anyone have any experience with dht express?

Further back up the thread An Post admitted in an email that they may take up to 4 weeks to deliver parcels after arrival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

whiterebel wrote: »
    Further back up the thread An Post admitted in an email that they may take up to 4 weeks to deliver parcels after arrival.

I went to my local An Post parcel collection depot today on the off chance that my parcel was sitting there. Turns out it wasn't, but the guy also admitted the above to me. He said what happens is that all of the parcels coming in from China are put aside and opened/sorted gradually when they have time (basically after all the other parcels from other countries have been done). He said it was because An post is making no money on the parcels coming in from china.

They can't even deliver the registered packets now it seems....I have another one now that they seem to be trying to deliver to the wrong address.
    A couple of weeks ago they gave one to guy about a hundred miles away...this one at least has made it to my local town and they have allegedly made an attempt to deliver it according to tracking...but it wasn't to me they attempted it :rolleyes:

Anyhow I see on senders snapshot parcel has my name address Eircode and phone number on it correctly...plus my name is an extremely rare old Anglo Saxon name, certainly nobody else in this area with it and probably not even anywhere else in Ireland.

So how the hell do they pick somebody else to try to deliver too :confused:.

There seems to be a lot of shenanigans going on in An Post lately.

archer22 wrote: »
    So how the hell do they pick somebody else to try to deliver too :confused:.

They didnt attempt, its a driver skiving off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Delivered today. Ordered 1st December. It required a signature as well so not the cheapest service either.

Bad Service from both seller and An Post. Went into Postal system in China on the 9th December.(slow to even post it) and to receive it on the 13th December is pretty poor form from An Post.

They didnt attempt, its a driver skiving off.

Spot on...another postman filling in for the usual one who is off sick apparently.

I collected the package myself early this morning..he was not going to bother delivering it today either...I guess more lies about "attempted delivery" would appear on tracking in the evening.
    It looks like I was never going to get it if I had not chased after it..probably have gone into An Posts 50,000 'non deliverable' items a week or been given to the first random person prepared to sign for it like the other one.

Your one behind the counter was complaining about all the Chinese Post coming in....looks like An Posts war on Chinese post isn't stopping the flow :)

Jan 12 - 32 days 

Jan 9 - 35 days

Keeping an eye for these. Probably get them around the end of Feb :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭flintash

Its unbelievable! And with more Chinese sites like Wish its gonna get even worse. Half of the stuff im buying is hard to find in b&s, depressing....

• Advertisement

flintash wrote: »
    Its unbelievable! And with more Chinese sites like Wish its gonna get even worse. Half of the stuff im buying is hard to find in b&s, depressing....

If it’s true about the minimum value for VAT on imports from outside the EU being dropped, it won’t be long stopping the imports from China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭briany

whiterebel wrote: »
    If it’s true about the minimum value for VAT on imports from outside the EU being dropped, it won’t be long stopping the imports from China.

I assume that means they'd be bringing in a basic rate of VAT to collect, then, no matter the cost of the item, because it's hardly going to be worth Revenue's while to collect a percentage on 1.47 or whatever some of these small parcels from China will sometimes cost.

briany wrote: »
    I assume that means they'd be bringing in a basic rate of VAT to collect, then, no matter the cost of the item, because it's hardly going to be worth Revenue's while to collect a percentage on 1.47 or whatever some of these small parcels from China will sometimes cost.

Drop the threshold from €26 to collect down to €10 say, then €10 items cost €2 in VAT and €10 in AnPost fees. That way people just stop ordering, which is probably what they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭briany

Drop the threshold from €26 to collect down to €10 say, then €10 items cost €2 in VAT and €10 in AnPost fees. That way people just stop ordering, which is probably what they want.

Thing is that there is still a lot of stuff you can buy out of China for under a tenner, and that's with postage included, so if An Post wanted to really choke parcel traffic from the far East, they'd want to drop the limit even further. Problem with that is that it then becomes a very obviously cynical move, and the kind of thing the EU should be handing down a directive on.

Really the UPU agreements should be paying AnPost to do the job. Its not due to the in/out bias. They should be renegotiating through the UPU so CNPost end up paying more and pass on 50c or so to them and thus the customer.

Would also be good to do 2 delivery days a week in ultra low density areas to reduce AP costs but thats for another thread.

An Post dont set the threshold. That is up to revenue.

As far as I am aware An Post is a state owned service...they certainly get funding from the state.

So in that case we are already paying them to provide a universal postal service...we owe them nothing for delivering parcels from the far east..we the taxpayers are already paying them and paying them well to do just that.

As far as I am aware An Post is a state owned service...they certainly get funding from the state.

So in that case we are already paying them to provide a universal postal service...we owe them nothing for delivering parcels from the far east..we the taxpayers are already paying them and paying them well to do just that.

but you're not paying an post anything for them. You pay china post a pittance who pass little or nothing on.

An Post dont set the threshold. That is up to revenue.

Yes but as a semi state entity that employs 9800 people they have lobbying clout.

We pay individual employees well but because we don't live in clusters like the rest of the sane world our posties spend ages driving instead of delivering.

• Advertisement

Yes but as a semi state entity that employs 9800 people they have lobbying clout.

We pay individual employees well but because we don't live in clusters like the rest of the sane world our posties spend ages driving instead of delivering.

What makes you think they would want it lowered? They would like to reduce the number of parcels arriving but not at the expense of generating more work for themselves.

An Post is not a private sector business...it is funded by the state to provide a service to the citizens.

An Post seems to be the only postal service in Europe that has issues with providing this service...all the rest just seem to accept the reality and get on with the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭styron

China obtain postal subsidies to encourage economic development - the UPU are meant to compensate national post services. The rate struck is wholly inadequate as this volume of traffic/consumer industrial exports was never envisaged.

Looks like Swedish customs are pressing to eliminate their import VAT threshold entirely.

but you're not paying an post anything for them. You pay china post a pittance who pass little or nothing on.

China Post move the items at least 7000 miles...An Post only carry it the last few miles, so they might only get a small share of the tiny fee China Post charges but then they only do a small share of the work...so in that case they get their fair share of it.

China Post move the items at least 7000 miles...An Post only carry it the last few miles, so they might only get a small share of the tiny fee China Post charges but then they only do a small share of the work...so in that case they get their fair share of it.

you may only pay china post a pittance but their service is heavily subsidised by the UPU. they can afford to only charge pennies. An post dont have that luxury.

you may only pay china post a pittance but their service is heavily subsidised by the UPU. they can afford to only charge pennies. An post dont have that luxury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

An Post is not a private sector business...it is funded by the state to provide a service to the citizens.

No it isn't .

It's core business of delivering letters , packets etc is funded by the price it charges for stamps and by fees it receives for delivering other countries post for Ireland .

The state does pay for some services like some rural post offices but that's not a huge amount .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

I ordered an item from China on the 4th of February and it arrived today via AddressPal (12 days later) and it must have been delivered in the U.K. 2-3 days ago before AddressPal sent it over from St. Albans. That was pretty impressive for something from Shenzhen in China. If I had elected to send it direct to Ireland I probably wouldn't see the packet for another month or two due to An Post slow delivery of Chinese parcels.

From next June Cathay Pacific will launch a direct flight from Hong Kong to Dublin and this might allow for more opportunities as even though it's a passenger flight I'm sure there will be a certain amount of air cargo transported also between Dublin and Hong Kong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,462 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Ordered from AliExpress on 11/01. Ordinary post from hongkong arrived on 23/02.
    Six weeks

48 days, small packet from Shenzen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gred42

I placed an order on <SNIP> in 1st,Feb. It is from HongKong to South Africa (my home).But now 28 days pass already,i can not see any tracking news update.How can i do that?

• Advertisement
Advertisement