Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for knowlegeable posters re: mortgages

• 05-01-2017 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

(I ramble a bit, so feel free to skip to the paragraph in bold at the bottom of this post.)

So my cousin is thinking of selling up his rental property (as soon as he has got shot of the current tenants, which is very much expected to happen this year).

He has specific buyers in mind: a married couple he's known forever. She's a doctor and he's a manager in a recession-proof industry. Manager is going to be moved back to the Dublin office from the UK for a promotion late this year.

My cousin got excited about selling them the house. These people are extremely good friends. When my cousin was fighting cancer, they often flew over specially to spend time with him, sometimes not even visiting anyone else while they were in Ireland. My cousin really loves these people.

So they got talking around beers, and they did their calculations on the back of an envelope, and thought they had it all sorted. They were working from the Central Bank mortgage rules. Her dad is giving her a six-figure gift, and that alone is over a quarter of the asking price!

So they calculated the amount they are both able to borrow based on his salary as the primary income, and the multiple is comfortably within the couple's range. The repayments would be way less than 40% of their likely income.

But apparently the banks don't see it that way! :(

The couple have spent the last few years paying off their debts early. Their savings arent that high. The banker they approached (a friend) said "Sorry, guys, it doesn't matter that her dad is gifting the deposit. The banks have a rule that if the deposit doesn't mostly come from the individual's savings, they would usually decline the loan. Even if the repayments are really low and the loan to value ratio is great, it doesn't cut any ice with the banks. The Central Bank rules are only a part of it, the banks themselves demand stricter conditions than the Central Bank"

Is this true? Like, if I was to get a major gift from my parents (fat chance!) would the banks tell me "we don't care how big the gift is, all that counts is what you've saved by yourself".

At the end of the day, do banks really act as if a Euro that one saves oneself is worth much more than a Euro that was gifted to you by Mammie and Papa?

I'm so financially illiterate, it seems to me that a deposit is a deposit whether it comes from a gift or not:rolleyes:. Obviously, if a couple were to have no savings at all, that's a bit of a warning flag. But they have saved several months' salary, and they have a big monster deposit from a gift, and the loan to value ratio is good, why wouldn't the bank make the loan?

Anyway, I shouldn't rant. I just want to know, from people who deal with this kind of thing: how do present-day Irish banks decide whether or not to issue loans to people who have large financial gifts which are significantly begger than their actual savings?

TL:DR: It seems the banks are likely to turn down a couple we know for a loan. They have a huge financial gift from a parent, very good jobs and salaries, but a few months' salary saved from their own income. Affordability isn't a problem, but still no loan.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What percentage of their net income are the repayments?

They should meet a few banks and then see what they say. But they will want to see a history of saving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

I think the couple should put a real mortgage application into several banks and stop doing rough calculations and asking friends for a quick opinion. Just put in a whole pile of formal applications and some of the banks will come up trumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭erudec

Wesser wrote: »
    I think the couple should put a real mortgage application into several banks and stop doing rough calculations and asking friends for a quick opinion. Just put in a whole pile of formal applications and some of the banks will come up trumps.

Is that really good advice?

When you make a formal application, and it gets turned down, I think that might affect your credit rating.

Dónal wrote: »
    They should meet a few banks and then see what they say. But they will want to see a history of saving.

If you feel like it, I'd love to know what do you have in mind when you say "history of saving"? A few hundred Euro per month, or more like four figures?

And how long would you think your average bank would want them to save? Given that they already have a really big deposit, it seems a little on the unnecessary side, to my untrained eye.

Again, you're not the official spokesman for the banks, and you don't owe me any insights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Ayuntamiento

erudec wrote: »

When you make a formal application, and it gets turned down, I think that might affect your credit rating.

I don't think this is the case. It will be noted on your record that your credit rating was checked X number of times but I don't think the decision as to whether to grant you credit or not is recorded.
    If they have some savings and they can make up the deposit then they will be fine. I'd imagine the only thing that could go against them is that they have no record of working in this country. Banks usually like to see you've been in your current job for a year at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

And how long would you think your average bank would want them to save? Given that they already have a really big deposit, it seems a little on the unnecessary side, to my untrained eye.

The bank will mostly care about 3 things - the central bank rules, the deposit, and their repayment capacity.

Sounds like the first two are covered. If they have been paying rent for the past 6 months or so this will count toward their repayment capacity. Likewise, if you can show they have been repaying other loans (which are now cleared) by X amount this will also count as repayment capacity.

Call into a bank and talk to a mortgage advisor - they will go over the figures and let you know how its looking before a mortgage application is officially submitted.

No it does not. A history of non repayment of loans results in a poor credit history. Not a failed application.

Please don't ask for advice from strangers on the Internet and then accuse people who give it for free of poor advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Tell them to speak to a good mortgage broker who can tell them the what they need to do to best present themselves as a good prospect for a mortgage.

The bank will mostly care about 3 things - the central bank rules, the deposit, and their repayment capacity.

Sounds like the first two are covered. If they have been paying rent for the past 6 months or so this will count toward their repayment capacity. Likewise, if you can show they have been repaying other loans (which are now cleared) by X amount this will also count as repayment capacity.

Call into a bank and talk to a mortgage advisor - they will go over the figures and let you know how its looking before a mortgage application is officially submitted.

I'm not going into any bank, cos I'm not buying!

You've got to remember that they have to take days off work to fly to Ireland for a bank meeting. So it's not something they'll do on a whim, most likely.

Yeah, they are renting in the UK. And he's working with the same company for ages now, here and in the UK. She expects to pick up at least part-time stand-in work quite quickly, as the agencies seem to have a good number of places to fill.

So if their savings are just a few thousand euro, and the gift deposit is well north of 25%, and their joint net salaries (assuming she is very unlucky in how many hours she gets) will only take a 30% hit per month from the repayments ...

... does that mean that some of the major banks would be willing to give the loan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I'm not going into any bank, cos I'm not buying!

You've got to remember that they have to take days off work to fly to Ireland for a bank meeting. So it's not something they'll do on a whim, most likely.

Yeah, they are renting in the UK. And he's working with the same company for ages now, here and in the UK. She expects to pick up at least part-time stand-in work quite quickly, as the agencies seem to have a good number of places to fill.

So if their savings are just a few thousand euro, and the gift deposit is well north of 25%, and their joint net salaries (assuming she is very unlucky in how many hours she gets) will only take a 30% hit per month from the repayments ...

... does that mean that some of the major banks would be willing to give the loan?

She doesn't have a job in Ireland so they aren't going to take into account any income for her.

bee06 wrote: »
    Tell them to speak to a good mortgage broker who can tell them the what they need to do to best present themselves as a good prospect for a mortgage.

OK, thanks for that and if anyone else feels like going into more detail, I'm very curious.

bee06 wrote: »
    She doesn't have a job in Ireland so they aren't going to take into account any income for her.

She'll have the job for a while by the time they apply. They're moving back in with family for a few months before they move into their own place.

If she's a doctor then she will walk straight into a full-time job over here in any hospital. She doesn't need to do agency work. She can just send her CV to a few hospitals in her area and she'll be sorted. She'll probably regret it when she sees how dire the working conditions are but that's a different story...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

30% of their income on the mortgage would be high enough

How many children do they have under 18?

Stheno wrote: »
    30% of their income on the mortgage would be high enough

How many children do they have under 18?

Is 30% high? Our upcoming mortgage will be 25% of our net monthly income which I thought would be pretty standard/affordable.

Is 30% high? Our upcoming mortgage will be 25% of our net monthly income which I thought would be pretty standard/affordable.

Im not sure of the figure but when stress testing i think 35 would be the max so 30 is high enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

If I was lending what would jump out at me is:

If she is a doctor and he is a manager in recession proof industry why are their savings so small?
    Why do they need a six figure sum as a gift?
    Are their new jobs stable? They will be subject to probation periods in new jobs

bmwguy wrote: »
    If I was lending what would jump out at me is:

If she is a doctor and he is a manager in recession proof industry why are their savings so small?
    Why do they need a six figure sum as a gift?
    Are their new jobs stable? They will be subject to probation periods in new jobs

It's the same employer for him, though, like he's worked with his to-be boss before. They put all their money after essentials into paying off loans early, which doesn't seem irresponsible, so their savings currently only account for a few months income.

I find it interesting that so many people are interested in the fine detail.

If what I heard were true, banks wouldn't want to go into detail and just say "computer says no" because a hard-wired rule has been adopted that bans deposits composed of gifts.

• Advertisement

It's the same employer for him, though, like he's worked with his to-be boss before. They put all their money after essentials into paying off loans early, which doesn't seem irresponsible, so their savings currently only account for a few months income.

Is he leaving his current company and starting in a different company?

If so he will need to be there six months before the banks will entertain an application.

For each child they have the bank will deduct an amount off their net income each month.

So they could come back rent from your cousin save for six months and then apply

She will need a contract to get approved even a fixed term contract will do. Agency work will not.
    It is very difficult to mortgage approval from abroad so that will also need to be addressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

I find it interesting that so many people are interested in the fine detail.

If what I heard were true, banks wouldn't want to go into detail and just say "computer says no" because a hard-wired rule has been adopted that bans deposits composed of gifts.

The devil is in the details as they say. Of course they will want the finer details, look at the amount of arrears and defaulting going on.

Stheno wrote: »
    Is he leaving his current company and starting in a different company?

If so he will need to be there six months before the banks will entertain an application.

For each child they have the bank will deduct an amount off their net income each month.

So they could come back rent from your cousin save for six months and then apply

The UK branch is wholly owned by Dublin HQ. Literally same employer, same company. Very established.

No kids. Bit of an age gap and she's in no hurry.

bmwguy wrote: »
    look at the amount of arrears and defaulting going on.

I'm not picking on you, but is that comparison valid for the majority of mortgage defaulters?

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the bubble was mostly related to people borrowing extreme multiples (6-plus) of their salaries, dishonestly counting one-off bonuses as base salary, and all of that jazz.

If we were to look carefully through the personal finances of the people who ended up defaulting, isn't it likely that the defaulters are going to usually be people who borrowed more than 5 times their income?

I mean, normally in any list of defaulters, those who owe the most relative to their income tend to be a majority.

I just think that this couple are very different to the profile of people who end up defaulting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

It sounds like this house won't even be ready to be sold for 6mths at least. If they were to save around 1,600 per month for the next 6mths and they had their work situation sorted the bank would have no problem lending to them.

....... wrote: »

There's a letter declaring it a gift from the parent, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

I hope the following will be of assistance to them:
    • Lender will indeed look for the finer details in so far as they will need to submit 6 months most recent current, savings and Credit card statements, P60's for 2016, 3 months payslips, salary certificates, 12 months statements on any short term borrowings they have or recently completed.
    • His employer will also have to submit a letter confirming that he is being transferred from UK to Ireland and it would be best if he had one payslip from the Irish Branch before applying for a mortgage. As a Doctor she should easily find employment but best advice would be to apply to HSE etc. before returning home and prior to making application.
    • Under Central Bank Regulations they can borrow up to 3.5 times joint income if only one has employment then it would be 3.5 times his income.
    • Lenders stress test mortgage repayments and you must prove repayment capacity by having saved the stress tested repayment over the past 6 months or/and paid rent/paid off loans. For example if the stressed repayment is €1000 per month you must show savings/rent and loan repayments for this amount.
    • After stressed repayments are deducted from net monthly pay a couple must have €2,050 net disposable income. Example net monthly pay €3500 stressed repayment = 1k - Net disposable income = €2,500 so qualifies under net disposable income.
    • When living and working in the UK you will have to provide a credit rating report from Experian so would advise to check this beforehand in order to ascertain that they have a good credit rating.
    • I don't see a big issue in not having saved a huge deposit as more than likely they may have cleared car loans instead of saving and this will be taken into consideration.
    • When you apply to a lender for a mortgage it will show up on your Credit Report as an enquiry but will not affect your credit rating however the lender will see who you made a most recent application to.
    • There is no problem in a lender accepting a gift as part of the deposit. You just need to provide a gift letter stating it is non repayable.
    • My advice would be for them to contact a good mortgage broker (many do not charge fees) and they will be able to process their mortgage application and get them 'An Approval in Principle'.
    • There is also a possibility of borrowing up to 70% of the purchase price and buy as a Holiday Home before returning to Ireland.
    I hope the above helps as there is a lot of incorrect statements made.
    Trish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Advertisement