Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best coffee

• 05-01-2017 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭

Hi
    What's the best coffee for filter machine...got one as a gift at Christmas and would like to give it a go...will be working from home a good bit over the next few months so don't want to go mad on my current machine which takes capsules...would it be better getting my own grinder ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

A lot of it's down to personal taste. Try a few from different companies to test them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭dball

recently roasted coffee tastes best - easy and cheap option.

grinder = €€€€€

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I've posted it here before but the M&S Columbian beans I think off the top of my head are nice. Light to medium roast. Generally roasted quite recently and only about €4 a bag.

They do a few different bags of beans so make sure it's the brown matte feel bag your getting.

Other than that your look at €7+ for a bag in the likes of 3fe or coffeeangel etc but you'll have a huge range there and they can grind if you need it done.

I'd say get a grinder though. Nothing beats freshly roasted, freshly ground coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭harr

Thanks for the replies...think I might invest in a mid priced grinder seems like the better option..now to find a grinder for around €100 quid 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Conba

I've really gotten to like the Sumatra in Tesco (Finest). Dark roast, which I don't usually go for, but it's got a really good flavour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭harr

When grinding my own ...how course or fine would I need for a filter brew ...I take it wouldn't be as fine as for say an espresso

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

harr wrote: »
    When grinding my own ...how course or fine would I need for a filter brew ...I take it wouldn't be as fine as for say an espresso

You want it feeling something like table salt, maybe slightly coarser. Sandy rather than powdery, then work from there. You'll start to learn the taste of overextracted (harsh aftertaste) and underextracted (sour) taste and the delicious sweet spot!

Hario Mini is a great little hand grinder ideal for filter.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

harr wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies...think I might invest in a mid priced grinder seems like the better option..now to find a grinder for around €100 quid 🤔

I've got a Baratza Encore grinder going for €100?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Baratza-Encore-Conical-Burr-Grinder/dp/B007F183LK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483727008&sr=8-1&keywords=baratza+encore+grinder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭dball

interesting or just plain biased anti hario bullsh1t

Advertisement