Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disabled graphics by accident. No solution?

Options
  • 05-01-2017 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭

I bought a new custom made desktop computer about a week ago and everything was working great until I went to play a game on it. As the game wouldn't load (I had a Geforce GTX1050ti) I realised that it was attempting to use the on board intel HD graphics which stopped the game from even starting.

Long story short I messed up big time and disabled the intel graphics and my screen went blank. Even though the computer boots up fine theres no way to see what I'm doing.

After searching online I tried a few solutions but none of them worked.
    I opened up the desktop and found the CMOS prongs. There was no jumper on the motherboard so I used the screwdriver to try and short the prongs for a few seconds hoping it would reset the BIOS and revert back to the integrated intel graphics but no luck. It still won't display.

I even removed the battery for 10 minutes and tried to short the + and - metal clips holding it in place but when I put the battery back on it didnt reset the display settings.

I'm really stuck now as these are the two most common solutions I can find online and I haven't found a poster who tried it and it didn't work. They all seemed to have 100% success rate except me :(

Anyone have any tips? Just a quick note, when I removed the battery and shorted the CMOS prongs, I plugged it back in and it turned on for a second or two and then shut down and restarted. I thought this meant that I had reset the BIOS successfully but it still didn't display anything.

Thanks in advance, sorry for the long post I'm at my wits end considering I spent over 800 for the computer and something as simple as a disabled graphics card seems to have made it useless.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

It's just windows you have problem with right? Just boot into safe mode and it will probably fix itself. Press f8 when windows is starting to get menu for this. Or just go into bios and re-enable it? It's not clear whether you can actually see anything when booting.

Check that your gtx1050 is hooked up right, have you got the auxiliary power connected etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭cml387

What is the monitor plugged into, the main board or the graphics card?

lol I think you nailed it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

If you've a Windows professional machine you might be able to use remote desktop to get in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

I can't boot into safe mode as I'm using Windows 10 and it boots too quickly.

The HDMI is plugged into the motherboard, I can't plug it into the graphics card as the HDMI is too fat and won't slide past the panel to go fully into it.

Either way it's not the worst problem. I suppose I can always search for a slimmer HDMI haha.

I can't change much around inside as the screws are in a horrible position and pulling the motherboard out is not an option. I may try to somehow move the panel stopping the HDMI cable from going into the graphics card but it'd a lot of effort considering CMOS was apparently all I needed to reset (according to the internet)

Thannks for the quick replies everyone.

• Advertisement

Of course you can boot into safemode, just spam the key. Similarly with bios.

The graphics card probably has a mini-hdmi port, get an adapter. Alternatively use a DVI cable or displayport (if monitor supports).

Sound like your graphics card is really badly installed, you will need to fix this anyway. You can't use the gtx1050 unless you plug a cable into it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭cml387

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    I can't boot into safe mode as I'm using Windows 10 and it boots too quickly.

The HDMI is plugged into the motherboard, I can't plug it into the graphics card as the HDMI is too fat and won't slide past the panel to go fully into it.

Either way it's not the worst problem. I suppose I can always search for a slimmer HDMI haha.

I can't change much around inside as the screws are in a horrible position and pulling the motherboard out is not an option. I may try to somehow move the panel stopping the HDMI cable from going into the graphics card but it'd a lot of effort considering CMOS was apparently all I needed to reset (according to the internet)

Thannks for the quick replies everyone.

Quite simply you have to plug the monitor into the graphics card or you'll get no display.
    I don't understand how you have a pc where you can't plug the monitor into the graphics card, it should be poking out the back of the box. Pic might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

srsly78 wrote: »
    Just boot into safe mode and it will probably fix itself. Press f8 when windows is starting to get menu for this. Or just go into bios and re-enable it?

I thought the F8 disappeared with Win8? You actually have to get into windows to tell it to boot into safe mode (logical or what? :confused:).

No f8 still works, but the fast boot means you have to mash the key :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Tenner says you're trying to put HDMI into DP....

• Advertisement

20170106_005231.jpg
    Cmos panel with no jumper in sight

20170106_005009.jpg
    You can see the little panel blocking part of the HDMI input. Would need slim HDMI to fit that.

Thanks ED-E you owe me a tenner haha

I thought the F8 disappeared with Win8? You actually have to get into windows to tell it to boot into safe mode (logical or what? :confused:).

Apparently it did. I remember doing this year's ago by accident when windows 7 was new. Thought it was the end of the world until f8 saved me. Apparently Microsoft value 3 seconds of startup speed more than basic software troubleshooting

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

That's a regular HDMI port. What's a slim HDMI anyways?

Can you loosen the card a little and move it so the HDMI will fit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

3 words for you: Remote Desktop Connection.

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    3 words for you: Remote Desktop Connection.

* Not enabled by default
    * Only avail on Pro etc

What case is that? The steel fold is in a crappy position. Most cases have a flat border to allow for just this instance.

If you grab a HDMI cable with a longer male protrusion it should fit dandy. Or if you mobo supports it move the slot up/down one slot.

That's a regular HDMI port. What's a slim HDMI anyways?

Can you loosen the card a little and move it so the HDMI will fit

I'm using a HDMI I got with my PS4, so it is thicker than others, not the metal part but the block where the wire begins. I seen slim HDMI cables before where the metal connector is only slightly smaller than the other part.

I cant loosen the card as it's screwed into place with 6 separate screws on 2 different panels. If I loosen both panels the motherboard looks like it will come out aswell.

Just took out the battery again, going to leave it out for an hour and see what that does.

I'm using a HDMI I got with my PS4, so it is thicker than others, not the metal part but the block where the wire begins. I seen slim HDMI cables before where the metal connector is only slightly smaller than the other part.

I cant loosen the card as it's screwed into place with 6 separate screws on 2 different panels. If I loosen both panels the motherboard looks like it will come out aswell.

Just took out the battery again, going to leave it out for an hour and see what that does.

You're looking at the wrong screws Jamie.

That card can be held in by a maximum of 2 screws, probably thumbscrews, that are inside the case. It may also be held by a plastic PCIE retainer(where the card slots into motherboard).

supp_graphics3.jpg

Have a look inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Furasta

Ok so you wont be able to play anything using the 1050ti till you are able to plug a cable into the back of the card so I would recommend that you get a new cable asap.

As for the disabled graphics, when you are removing the cmos battery do you have the system unplugged from power and have you discharged power from the system by holding down the power button for 5-10 seconds after you have unplugged it from the wall?

Also newer motherboards might have a button on the back panel beside the USB ports that will reset the cmos without having to use a jumper or *cringe* using s screwdriver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

It looks like you might be able to get a dvi cable on by the looks.Either way you will need to sort something with the hdmi and Dp access anyway.I would just strip it and try and get the card to sit better anyway.I cant believe someone sold that machine to you like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

ED E wrote: »
    * Not enabled by default
    * Only avail on Pro etc

Nope, both my desktop and tablet are Win10 Home and have it.

• Advertisement

Or get a sharp knife and shave the plastic off the hdmi connector on the cable.

Looking at it again,the 1050 has just moved a bit,it should be possible to level it up by adjusting the screw.

20170106_015415.jpg
    This is just after I removed the panel holding the Graphics card in place. Notice how the hole lines up.

20170106_020759.jpg
    Finally got the HDMI cable in after moving the card and steel panel slightly.

20170106_021025.jpg
    However, now the holes are completely misaligned so I can't screw back in the panel because it just won't fit back into place and judging by the looks of it I cant screw the graphics card back into place either.

I'm tempted just to turn it on as is, and then try re enable the Intel graphics card as a short term fix. Il probably have to get a dvi-d cable or some sort of dvi to hdmi adapter in future so I won't have the panel missing

20170106_015415.jpg
    This is just after I removed the panel holding the Graphics card in place. Notice how the hole lines up.

20170106_020759.jpg
    Finally got the HDMI cable in after moving the card and steel panel slightly.

20170106_021025.jpg
    However, now the holes are completely misaligned so I can't screw back in the panel because it just won't fit back into place and judging by the looks of it I cant screw the graphics card back into place either.

I'm tempted just to turn it on as is, and then try re enable the Intel graphics card as a short term fix. Il probably have to get a dvi-d cable or some sort of dvi to hdmi adapter in future so I won't have the panel missing

I would put the 2 screws back in,the flange on them should hold the card fine.

Are you saying the case wont now go back together because you have moved the 1050?

That does look like a very thick hdmi cable connector!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Where did you buy the machine?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

The way the mobo is sitting in the case is a bit off I reckon.

Not the entire case. Just the small panel that covers just above the graphics card inputs.

I know...what's even worse is that HDMI is the smallest I have so to be fair to the guy who sold it to me he probably didn't know I was still stuck in 2010 with HDMI cables.

I bought it on adverts. The guy selling it had over 150+ positive reviews and no negative reviews. I had a look through all his ads and they were all custom made computers so I doubt he misaligned the panels on purpose...still the little black thing jutting out and obstructing the HDMI to begin with should have no place on a case at all. It does absolutely nothing but cause headaches.

Is it workin!

• Advertisement

20170106_023947.jpg

It's working again!
    Yayyyy hahaha
    Thank you all for your input and sorry for not figuring this out myself sooner. First time owning any piece of kit worth more than 800 so you can't really blame me for being a bit tentative.

Again, many thanks. Lifesavers ye are!

Advertisement