Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for elderly parent who owns car but others drive it?

Options
  • 05-01-2017 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

What is the best situation to manage Motor insurance if the elderly parent who owns the car, stops driving it, but now her grown up children drive her in it?
    Other vehicles are not suitable to drive her in.
    Should the elderly parent still insure it, and have the other drivers named?
    Or should one offspring insure the car as the main driver, but be a non-owner (if that's possible), and have the other offspring named on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Do the other drivers have insurance of their own?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Take ownership of the car and insure it for whomever looks after elderly parent surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

You can keep the insurance in you parents name, just get them excluded from driving it and get open driving or get added as a named driver, I have done this, car and insurance in my father's name open driving so other people can drive him and my mother as a named driver (because open driving doesn't cover you over 75)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,253 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Normally insurance companies insist on the policy holder being the registered owner. Easiest way is probably to get specifically added as a named driver on the registered owner's policy.

Might be worth talking to the insurance company too as they might have special dispensation for circumstances like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

ml100 wrote: »
    You can keep the insurance in you parents name, just get them excluded from driving it and get open driving or get added as a named driver, I have done this, car and insurance in my father's name open driving so other people can drive him and my mother as a named driver (because open driving doesn't cover you over 75)

This is the correct answer.

This would be a common enough request, it arises if the policy holder is not able to drive any longer for medical or other reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Shorty69664

Does the elderly parent need to maintain their full license or would their be insurance issues if it wasn't renewed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Does the elderly parent need to maintain their full license or would their be insurance issues if it wasn't renewed.

If they are excluded from driving there shouldnt be an issue but it would be best practice to get confirmation from the insurer directly, preferably in writing as the Ts and Cs can differ.

Advertisement