Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan CES Press Conference in an hour... place your bets....

• 06-01-2017 12:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭

Will it be the Gen.2 Leaf... the EV Micra..... another bloody concept.... the e-power Note or something entirely different. YOU DECIDE!

Note: what you voted for will be recorded publically.... and I'll take a screenshot at midnight... so no cheating!

What will Carlos "Danger" Ghosn announce at CES? 9 votes

A New Mk.2 Leaf
    0%
    A New EV Micra
    55%
    Soarermacnabcros13Deedsiejprboy 5 votes
    The e-power Note coming to the US/Europe
    0%
    Another bloody concept
    0%
    Something completely different
    11%
    Kristopherus 1 vote
    All of the above
    33%
    kala85SatrialeD0NNELLY 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

A New EV Micra

A New EV Micra
    I bet on Leaf Mk.2 But I think that will just be an aside.... I think the big deal will be ProPILOT...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭positron

Leaf 2 with slightly better batterypack. Two versions 40kWh first and a 60kWh version to follow later in a year or two (no actual date).

A New EV Micra
    There is also the possibility he might keep his wick dry on the Leaf Mk2 until his keynote at the Detroit auto show on the 9th Jan. Stick it to GM's Bolt in their backyard.

But I suspect the Detroit show will see the Qashqai launch in the US instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭Soarer

A New EV Micra
    Imagine a 40 kWh Leaf, with the same advances in effeciency as the Ioniq. She'd be a dinger.

• Advertisement

40 Kwh Leaf, no way, they got to do better to compete with the Bolt, AKA , Ampera-E.

Hybrid Note, shame on you Nissan !

How boring is this ? a fecking hybrid , hybrids are old skool Nissan ffs , nothing new here, move on !!!

FFS now some chief of E-Power has to come out and talk crap about a fecking hybrid ? OMG !

A New EV Micra
    So... that was a waste of everyone's time.

• Advertisement

Yep and what did I say about Detroit and who was saying I was full of Shyte ? bla bla, we'll see !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

why are people expecting anything else. Car manufacturers do not announce soon to be introduced models , as all it does is stymy sales of the existing model. They leave it as late as they can to finalise details

A New EV Micra
    BoatMad wrote: »
    why are people expecting anything else. Car manufacturers do not announce soon to be introduced models , as all it does is stymy sales of the existing model. They leave it as late as they can to finalise details

Leaf stocks are low worldwide, that's often an indication of a new model launch.

What might turn many potential U.S MK II Leaf buyers off is this statement.

And he confirmed that the next Leaf would continue with an air-cooled battery pack, saying changes in cell chemistry had "significantly reduced" concerns over battery durability.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1108175_next-nissan-leaf-propilot-self-driving-included-200-mile-range-or-more-confirmed/page-2

This means most likely reduced Life for the U.S and for Ireland at least, reduced range in colder weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

BoatMad wrote: »
    cros13 wrote: »
    Leaf stocks are low worldwide, that's often an indication of a new model launch.

Limited editions are usually a sign of end of life for a current model. They already announced a limited edition to run from Mar-Aug this year which suggests a run of new Leafs from Aug+ for delivery in 2018. Thats my crystal ball...

http://insideevs.com/nissan-leaf-black-edition-revealed/

I dont think they will announce anything about 2018 (i.e. Leaf II) until the summer. UK forums say that the Sunderland plant are currently working on 40kWh packs. Maybe Leaf II will have 40, 48 and 60kWh options.

Nissan have announced they are getting out of the battery business and will most likely buy larger packs from third-party suppliers such as LG chem. Nisson have stated that this is the only way they can keep costs down .

Nissan will continue to make smaller packs in the Sunderland factory until they sell their shares in AESC

It will be interesting to find out what happens over the next couple of days

And he confirmed that the next Leaf would continue with an air-cooled battery pack, saying changes in cell chemistry had "significantly reduced" concerns over battery durability.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1108175_next-nissan-leaf-propilot-self-driving-included-200-mile-range-or-more-confirmed/page-2

A few other interesting statements in that link...

"And he echoed earlier comments by Nissan executives that for heavier electrified vehicles, the cost equation made far more sense with a smaller battery pack and some form of range extender."

I wonder what they consider heavier vehicles? Are they talking about commercial or just any vehicle with larger batteries? I didnt think they would be looking more at range extenders than pure EV.

Charging....
    "Finally, Asami noted that the company was preparing for DC fast-charging at rates up to 150 kilowatts, though he questioned the practicality of higher rates for mass-market electric cars."

That would be welcome but I'd say it will be a very long time before we see the required infrastructure in Ireland.

Interesting he said he didnt think higher rates were practical which begs the question why are they installing 350kW chargers across Europe? Is he simply wrong or are they just for larger commercial vehicles like buses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

KCross wrote: »
    Interesting he said he didnt think higher rates were practical which begs the question why are they installing 350kW chargers across Europe? Is he simply wrong or are they just for larger commercial vehicles like buses?

350kW? That's just for toys!

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/812708946225963008

I see leaf 2 is a facelift and 38 kWh on launch , bit of a yawn. Perhaps by 2018 Hyundai will step up and give us a decent choice

No the facelift is just a facelift not Leaf II.

Nissan said Leaf II is is around the corner so does that mean it will be announced in the Summer ? who the hell knows at this stage.

• Advertisement

No the facelift is just a facelift not Leaf II.

Nissan said Leaf II is is around the corner so does that mean it will be announced in the Summer ? who the hell knows at this stage.

well a facelift is often 2-3 model years , so maybe gen2 Leaf is some distance away

Oh, at this stage it's anyone's guess, perhaps they're waiting to see what Trump does in the U.S, the car companies are lobbying heavily now to have emissions and fuel limits "considerably" reduced so that they can continue to make billions of profit in making of ICE's. And under trump this is highly likely, whatever his views on anthropogenic warming are he simply can not ignore the environmental consequences of running cars on fossil fuels and the damage to human health due to poor air quality.

The "near future" could mean anything, 2-3 years, next year, either way they are falling behind now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭Soarer

A New EV Micra
    So what's the story?

Has Nissan actually confirmed this facelift and 38kWh battery? Can't find a link to it anywhere.

No they haven't confirmed anything other than the New Model Leaf is due in the "near future" !

A lot of people are expecting a facelift 38 Kwh which hasn't been confirmed. So it could mean Leaf II will be announced in Q3 or 4 of 2017 and available 2018 and there probably won't be a facelift, I wouldn't rule out a larger battery yet in the current model but again, I am sure this would have been confirmed by now.

I wouldn't be buying any new EV now, if I had to have an EV now then I'd buy a 2nd hand Leaf from 2014+/

A New EV Micra
    So nothing in the 11:30 ET presentation from NAIAS.

Carlos Ghosn has a keynote at 15:00 (2 hours from now):

I'm fairly certain he's announcing the Qashqai entering the US market but electric mobility is mentioned repeatedly in the promo materials so there is a chance...but it may just be the Vehicle-to-Grid crap that's a dead duck in the US before it even hits the market.

After that there's nothing until Geneva in March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Soarer wrote: »
    So what's the story?

Has Nissan actually confirmed this facelift and 38kWh battery? Can't find a link to it anywhere.

Facelift yes, 38kw battery no.

As facelifts are usually mid life it could be quite a while until there is a substantially bigger battery.

I don't remember Nissan actually confirming a facelift other than what I read on a website.

cros13 wrote: »
    So nothing in the 11:30 ET presentation from NAIAS.

Carlos Ghosn has a keynote at 15:00 (2 hours from now):

I'm fairly certain he's announcing the Qashqai entering the US market but electric mobility is mentioned repeatedly in the promo materials so there is a chance...but it may just be the Vehicle-to-Grid crap that's a dead duck in the US before it even hits the market.

After that there's nothing until Geneva in March.

A new US "truck" and a concept vehicle is all I've seen so far. Vmotion 2.0 or some crap like that.

Was there anything around EV at all?

I think VW's EV Bus ?

• Advertisement

A New EV Micra
    KCross wrote: »
    A new US "truck" and a concept vehicle is all I've seen so far. Vmotion 2.0 or some crap like that.

Was there anything around EV at all?

Yeah the vehicle to grid stuff got a look in.

Ghosn was asked about the Gen2 Leaf on stage... he smiled and proceeded to answer a different question.

Advertisement