Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nest owners - scheduling & temperatures?

• 06-01-2017 12:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭

Nest owners - I have my schedule set up with a minimum of 9º & max of 21º What do you have yours set for & is it better to have a closer range so that the temp drops are fewer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,741 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It really depends on the insulation.

When I'm away the heating is off and comes on as I approach the house.
    So unless your comfortable in the house at 9deg I don't see the point in having it that low.

Also I don't think a house that is being used daily will go as low as 9 deg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

OU812 wrote:
    Nest owners - I have my schedule set up with a minimum of 9º & max of 21º What do you have yours set for & is it better to have a closer range so that the temp drops are fewer?

9 degrees is too low in my opinion, you'd be well past the dew point and the place could get damp and possibly mouldy as the air won't hold water at 9 degrees

Most hotels and student accommodation rooms I've worked on we'd have a setback temp of 14-15 if it dropped below that the heat comes on to top it up. When occupied 21,22 23 degrees is usually the max.

Sleeping below 12 and above 25 degrees isn't good practice in some people's books

I have it at 16 in my place the heating rarely has to stop it dropping below that but I've good insulation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭OU812

Yeah, I was going to bring it up to fifteen (default was six!). Insulation is in the process of being upgraded on a room by room basis so there will be heat loss.

There's someone in the house during the day right now so its never dropped to 9. I'll bring it back up to 15 & 22

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

To give you an idea of how much difference good insulation can make, I've been away the past month, with the heating off * and no one home. According to my Netatmo Thermostat (and confirmed by the Thermostat in my Canary) the lowest temperature has dropped in the last month is just 15.5c

* The Netatmo Thermostat is set to turn on if it drops below 14, the place just hasn't gotten that cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Are you sure the default of 6 wasn't some kind of frost protect mode when you were away on holidays or long term away from the house for some other reason?
    The Hive I have has a frost protect mode of 10C out of the box, but it only sets it to that in holiday mode.
    I think the default value for day to day use was 15C when out.

I've set it to 18C when out. It's only set so high as I believe the thermostat is slightly over reporting. It is always about 2 degrees above the temp sensor in the Philips Hue motion sensor about two feet away from it.

If it kicks in at all when we're away it only comes on for a max of about 15 minutes.

Insulation is good and the house settles at about 15C during very cold weather if I leave the heating off for a few days.

All that said the reason I went for a smart system in the first place was for comfort and convenience rather than to save on oil or gas. So my settings are dialed in with that in mind. YMMV!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

ted1 wrote: »
    When I'm away the heating is off and comes on as I approach the house.

Don't have mine yet but how are you controlling this, something like IFTTT, or is it part of the Nest suite?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

9 is very low.

My range is pretty narrow. Kept at 14 when the house is empty (though there's always a dog at home!), 17 overnight and 18-19 during the day. 21 would be stifling IMHO.

If we've been there in the morning and then been gone all day, I've never seen the temperature drop below 16 degrees, even when it's negative temps outside. So the minimum has never had to kick in yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,741 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Don't have mine yet but how are you controlling this, something like IFTTT, or is it part of the Nest suite?

Via the nest app. They added geofencing a few months ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Wondering if anyone is using smart TRVs in conjunction with NEST? If so, what are you using, or could someone recommend a smart TRV.

I have only one heating zone, with separate hot water. I'm trying to make a sensible decision on what "smart heating" approach to go with - NEST seems to tick the boxes. A nice simple/cheap solution that happens to work with Google Home. I will be doing some work on the house soon and could possibly look at putting in two heating zones: upstairs and downstairs.

However, even with these 2 zones, we'd have 2 downstairs rooms never in use in the mornings, and less in use in general than the open plan family areas. So I am thinking about getting smart TRVs in these rooms that would be part of downstairs, but only kick in on weekday evenings, and perhaps evenings and nights on weekends. I don't need them to be too integrated, if I can set a schedule on an app (or something), and maybe adjust/override manually then I will be happy.

Can anyone recommend something reasonable for my requirements. If I was happy with them I could add more - e.g. spare bedroom etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Anyone use http://www.devolo.co.uk/ at all - it would seem to fit perfectly with my requirements, whereby you can have zones on/off, but control individual elements within the zone separately.

• Advertisement
Advertisement