Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ankle injury

• 06-01-2017 12:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

Mods not sure where to post this so move if necessary. Apologies in advance.
    So being overweight by about 2.5 stone I decided to join a local gym place last year - type you'd find in an industrial estate. Few trainers on at any given time to tell you what circuit to follow what to do next kinda thing. Knew a few people going there so thought I'd try it a try
    Few issues from the start - wasn't happy with the way information on an old shoulder injury which I documented on my membership form was never taken into account when trainers were giving me weights etc to lift
    I had thought the idea of the gym was more hands on with the trainers but in reality I was very much left to myself and wasn't always entirely sure I was doing things properly. Pulled a muscle in my neck/top of shoulder one night I reckon as I couldn't turn my head for several days and ended up missing a week but it resolved itself. However I also hurt my ankle which I didn't take much notice of at the time but in hindsight blame it on a leg press machine whereby I was told to extend it out using just one leg at a time instead of two.
    Anyway a few more things about running the gym bothered me like a Transition Year student working there as a trainer after school (not work experience related) and I finally left March last year. Ankle continued to bother me and eventually said it to gp who said I may have sprained it or pulled ligaments. She suggested an anti inflammatory gel and ankle support. I had to wear the ankle support throughout the summer when engaged in any sports or walking on any uneven surfaces. But it settled down eventually and I thought no more of it. Went back to a bootcamp style thing before Xmas and less than a month in had to give it up as my ankle flared up again. And it's continued to give trouble to the point I'm back wearing ankle support all the time. I've had to compromise what shoes I wear to work. I find it tender when walking on my (stone chip) driveway or any uneven surface and when driving

Guess I'm wondering where do I go from here? Should I go back to gp? Or would a physio be more appropriate? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Im not convinced that the leg press caused the initial injury.

Sounds like you have an ATFL tear, or an 'inversion sprain' of your ankle (google ATFL ankle).

Don't waste your time with a GP and seek the assistance of a good Physiotherapist.

Seriously I could go into an ATFL injury here at length but you're best off googling it, then getting in touch with a physiotherapist and start a proper rehab on that ankle.

GP's are mostly a waste of time with sprains, they'll just a little support dressing on it (at best) and some anti inflam's.. Go see the physio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Im not convinced that the leg press caused the initial injury.

Sounds like you have an ATFL tear, or an 'inversion sprain' of your ankle (google ATFL ankle).

Don't waste your time with a GP and seek the assistance of a good Physiotherapist.

Seriously I could go into an ATFL injury here at length but you're best off googling it, then getting in touch with a physiotherapist and start a proper rehab on that ankle.

GP's are mostly a waste of time with sprains, they'll just a little support dressing on it (at best) and some anti inflam's.. Go see the physio.

Thank you. Is this something that fully resolves typically? Any rough estimates how many sessions would be needed - I know I'm probably asking how long is a piece of string but have never used a physio before but remember it being €50 a pop when hubbie needed one years ago.

Advertisement