Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should these wires be left as is,

Options
  • 06-01-2017 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

These wires are going into outdoor lights in my house, should the have conduit around them,??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

ronn wrote: »
    These wires are going into outdoor lights in my house, should the have conduit around them,??

It would take more than conduit to make those look good. What height are they at? Are you asking about conduit for mechanical protection or aesthetics?

It might be one of these cases:
    SiVn1t.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

They are not UV resistant so something needs to be done with them. Sometimes it is possible to have the cables coming into the back of a junction box (so that no cables are seen at all).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

aido79 wrote: »
    It would take more than conduit to make those look good. What height are they at? Are you asking about conduit for mechanical protection or aesthetics?

It might be one of these cases:
    SiVn1t.jpg

The flood light is high but the other light is above a door, the cable comes out right behind a soil pipe,
    I just want to know if they need to be protected from the elements,

There's no cure for stupidity or laziness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

For the bulk head you could disconnect the cable, and put a black flexible copex with correct gland over it. It will give it uv and mechanical protection, just an idea.

What's the orange looking thing behind the light?

Tuco88 wrote: »
    For the bulk head you could disconnect the cable, and put a black flexible copex with correct gland over it. It will give it uv and mechanical protection, just an idea.

What's the orange looking thing behind the light?

Don't tell me you don't recognise expanding foam, he he, :-) :-)

I'll trim that when I'm covering the wires,
    What about the garden lights, he's armoured cable running around the garden then has white 3 core cable going into the lights and one of the sockets,
    Here's some pics,
    Thanks all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Don't tell me you don't recognise expanding foam, he he, :-) :-)

I'll trim that when I'm covering the wires,
    What about the garden lights, he's armoured cable running around the garden then has white 3 core cable going into the lights and one of the sockets,
    Here's some pics,
    Thanks all

Was any of this work actually done by an electrician? If it was he should be reported.

It doesn't look like he has even used a gland for those lights(but it may just be angle the picture was taken) The cables should have mechanical protection.

If he was going to do it that rough he could at least have clipped the cables to the wall:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Are the lights on the socket circuit or plugged into the socket?

There's a junction box that the wire from the lights goes into which is connected to the SWA, and the lights have a rubber gland on them,

What's mechical protection,

The lights and sockets are on there own switch on the main fuse board,
    Reci came to check the house while the sparks was doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Cable outside does not need extra mechanical protection if it is insulated and sheathed as in the pictures. The sheath provides the mechanical protection in this instance. Containment would only be required for non-sheathed cables.

However, as stated earlier, T&E will not be UV-stable so isn't appropriate for external exposure, although in practice it may survive for very many years in such a state. So it's definitely a poor installation method but there is no sense in overstating the problems with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

All those photos look absolutely shocking though - pardon the pun.....

May not be a safety issue, but I'd prefer to take the lights off the wall than have them look like that. Putting any type of copex or conduit on that won't make it look any better IMO.

Can you see if you can reposition the cables or lights to hide the cabling better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

how did they drill behind the soil.
    make sure there isnta hole in it .

totally shocking work all arond

The soil pipe wasn't in when the hole was drilled, I've to get a (decent) electrician back to fix some switches, I've a triple switch that does the outside the hall and landing, he has the outside close to the stairs the hall in the middle and the landing is the furthest away from the stairs, and then the triple switch on the landing is arse ways aswell, I end up switching on all 3 to find the light I'm looking for,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

2011 wrote:
    They are not UV resistant so something needs to be done with them. Sometimes it is possible to have the cables coming into the back of a junction box (so that no cables are seen at all).

In all fairness that was possible here.

I've to do a job on my own, I've them off at the moment but the guys who did the external insulation left them in a jock.

I've two of them bulk head lights, miraculously the other one the goes into the back of it,
    Just laziness pure and simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

For the outside sockets and lights on the wall would it be possible to use 20mm pvc pipe and say a straight through box and an end box to hide the cables and mount the lights and sockets onto the Boxs? It will raise them off the wall slightly but it's the best way I can think of off the top of my head to tidy up the wiring and make it look like the sparks cared

Advertisement