Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pasta Making - flour types?

Options
  • 06-01-2017 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering what type of flour other people here have been using to make pasta from? I haven't tried making my own before so I'm completely new to this.

Can't find durum flour locally or in any Irish online shops I've checked so will semolina flour do as a replacement for recipes where it is used and is the grind fine enough in what we typically get here?

I also see mention of the 00 Italian flour in some recipes with eggs, is there a similar easy to find odlums or alternative brand?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Tesco definitely stock Tipo 00 flour (Tesco Pasta Flour)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭pawrick

Tesco definitely stock Tipo 00 flour (Tesco Pasta Flour)

thanks didn't spot that last night online, must have been sleepy when looking on their site and only search for the durum type there. Local store doesn't have it so must just be out of stock.

Is the durum type a necessity or am I good to go with the 00 type on it's own?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

We just started making in the pasta few weeks (sorry). Have just used tipo 00 and turning out lovely pasta. Beef filled ravioli last time - a lot of work and very nice. Normally tagliatelle and cooks in a couple of minutes. Our roller came from Aldi/Lidl. The only issue is it doesn't cut every strip completely but tends to leave them in pairs. We end up using double width pieces or tearing the partially cut strips by hand.

cool thanks for the info, was going to give ravioli a try also once I get used to making the dough and using the machine but with start off with tagliatelle until i get the hang of it. Bought a marcato atlas 150 roller/cutter with the ravioli add on over Christmas and been looking forward to giving it a shot. it seems to be pretty much the same as the aldi/lidl type one but I missed that last time it was for sale.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I make pasta rarely, so I just use whatever plain flour we have in the house, always turned out grand.

The pasta roller is great, just make sure you let your sheets dry a bit before trying to turn them into tagliatelle.

• Advertisement

tried making the tagliatelle tonight with the tesco pasta flour and it turned out perfect imo. Went as far as setting No 5 on the roller to get the thickness I thought was best. It was an awful lot simpler than I expected. next mission is to try more complicated types. thanks for all the advice given:)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

I find the 00 too soft and spongy. I like to use a rougher flour, a semolina. This is what I use

IMG_7239-500x500.JPG

Advertisement