Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tedious poster killing discussion

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭jameorahiely

Again, in almost all of the examples of this I have seen, Poster B has been the one in the wrong, even if other lines of discussion continued in the thread at the same time or after.

Even though the question had been answered and discussion has moved on, it is somehow manadatory for poster B to answer it with the "right answer" for poster A's satisfaction or else tedious badgering is allowed until poster A is satisfied.

Other posters have accepted the answer given and moved on. What's so special about poster A, that they need a special answer?

Why should poster A be allowed to dodge the questions put to them? What special authority have they ?
    Would you conduct a conversation in that manner off line?

ANSWER ME :D
    ANSWER THE QUESTION :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Even though the question had been answered and discussion has moved on, it is somehow manadatory for poster B to answer it with the "right answer" for poster A's satisfaction or else tedious badgering is allowed until poster A is satisfied.

Other posters have accepted the answer given and moved on. What's so special about poster A, that they need a special answer?

Why should poster A be allowed to dodge the questions put to them? What special authority have they ?
    Would you conduct a conversation in that manner off line?

ANSWER ME :D
    ANSWER THE QUESTION :p

Again, in almost all of the examples of this I have seen, Poster B has been the one in the wrong, even if other lines of discussion continued in the thread at the same time or after.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭jameorahiely

See, in this thread you are now being poster B, dodging and refusing to answer the questions. I could spend the next 10 pages badgering you for not answering.

(but I won't, I'll accept your opinion and move on! )

looksee wrote: »
    I don't think you can expect mods to read and analyse every thread to the extent they would have to in order to moderate this kind of behaviour. They at least need to have attention drawn to it. It would not reasonably become an issue unless an individual was doing this continually, and again, this would need to be pointed out to mods.

Even then the poster would have to have been pulled up on this kind of behaviour previously before it would be reasonable to sanction. (This is personal opinion, not mod rules)

Mostly a poster will be pulled up by other posters and the topic moves on. Just occasionally a poster is too stubborn or focussed or single-minded (or trolling) to react to these kind of nudges and continues to go round in circles repeating their mantra.

I think it is reasonable to expect a mod only to act after being made aware of it and after giving the poster in question a chance to improve.
    But how much notice is needed and how many chances should they get?

And how should the notice be given? If the poster in question is especially subtle, it may not be very easy to pick a single post as a good of example of their persistently tedious style. Reporting posters might have to reference multiple posts to justify the report, and mods might need to read a lot more posts before acting - all tedious work for everyone. Most posters, as you point out in the OP, will just be driven away from the thread or forum (or even site), which is a win for the tedious poster. Even if the posters stay, but put the tedious poster on ignore, new posters wont know that and the tedious poster will still be visible to them or to anyone not logged in (not to mention still visible in quoted posts). All of which drags down the forum, another win for the tedious poster.

I mentioned about mods using Ignore Function statistics (if they can see them) to help make decisions faster. I don't like the Ignore Function (and don't use it) because of the possiblity of creating echo-chambers, but it could be helpful in this regard in that it would at least move things along. A poster who was only recently actioned in the A&A forum (public notice put in the feedbeack thread about it) for tedious posting has had complaints against them for 18 months if not more. That is a long time for it to be going on, driving posters away.

See, in this thread you are now being poster B, dodging and refusing to answer the questions. I could spend the next 10 pages badgering you for not answering.

(but I won't, I'll accept your opinion and move on! )

What questions have I dodged or refused to answer? I've countered any addition you made to your claim that the problem is posters not accepting other posters answers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,481 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think it is reasonable to expect a mod only to act after being made aware of it and after giving the poster in question a chance to improve.
    But how much notice is needed and how many chances should they get?

And how should the notice be given? If the poster in question is especially subtle, it may not be very easy to pick a single post as a good of example of their persistently tedious style. Reporting posters might have to reference multiple posts to justify the report, and mods might need to read a lot more posts before acting - all tedious work for everyone. Most posters, as you point out in the OP, will just be driven away from the thread or forum (or even site), which is a win for the tedious poster. Even if the posters stay, but put the tedious poster on ignore, new posters wont know that and the tedious poster will still be visible to them or to anyone not logged in (not to mention still visible in quoted posts). All of which drags down the forum, another win for the tedious poster.

I mentioned about mods using Ignore Function statistics (if they can see them) to help make decisions faster. I don't like the Ignore Function (and don't use it) because of the possiblity of creating echo-chambers, but it could be helpful in this regard in that it would at least move things along. A poster who was only recently actioned in the A&A forum (public notice put in the feedbeack thread about it) for tedious posting has had complaints against them for 18 months if not more. That is a long time for it to be going on, driving posters away.

I agree, but there is no 'one size fits all' solution, and in fact I am not sure there is an easy solution at all. That's not to say they should get away with it indefinitely.

Advertisement