Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

convert 30yo giant steel racer to fixie

Options
  • 06-01-2017 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭

looking at prism to get wheels pink 50 bucks(flip/flop) and crankset blue 20 euro(current bike is square taper).
    chain and brake lever is all I am missing.
    or am I missing something else?
    thanks
    fixie conversion virgin!!!

original bike is pink with blue livery.
    ideally blue wheels but prism don't have them.
    thanks
    john

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

seanin4711 wrote: »
    looking at prism to get wheels pink 50 bucks(flip/flop) and crankset blue 20 euro(current bike is square taper).
    chain and brake lever is all I am missing.
    or am I missing something else?
    thanks
    fixie conversion virgin!!!

original bike is pink with blue livery.
    ideally blue wheels but prism don't have them.
    thanks
    john

I'd be very surprised if a new set of wheels at €50 would be anything but junk ... same applies to a €20 crank! Possibly ok if you're just using it to go the shops but not for any real use!
    I commute daily on a steel SS and love it but it takes a fair hammering!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭seanin4711

0xgSTcW.png
    to
    LTAIrrz.png

still on A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

0xgSTcW.png
    to
    LTAIrrz.png

still on A

I much prefer A;)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 GasBrakeHonk

0xgSTcW.png
    to
    LTAIrrz.png

still on A

Hard to say definitively but from the picture it looks like the rear dropout is vertical rather than horizontal. This will make it difficult to set the chain tension correctly. There are some options to run a chain tensioner of the derailleur hanger but these look awful IMHO.

You'd need to ensure that the frame is suitable before worrying about wheels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Frame isn't suitable for fixed with those dropouts. Have you considered refurbishing and rebuilding ? Would be a more worthwhile project IMO.

In the meantime you could pickup a steel fixed gear frame cheaply and build it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭happytramp

Bike A is lovely. If you are converting it you'll need a 'chain tensioner' they only cost about €15.... just don't cut off any of the braze on's since it means the bike bike can never be rebuilt as a road bike and it'll make the frame worthless.... I know it sounds mad, but some people actually do it to make a road frame 'look' more like a track frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭happytramp

Actually that bike might have 'semi horizontal' dropouts. Sometimes you can get away without a chain tensioner with those ones.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Don't convert, its beautiful as it is.
    Look for a cheap frame and start from there.
    That is too nice to bastardise.....

bike stripped of components currently.
    correction its going to be a single speed (conversion kit on 10speed freehub).
    I have all the components to convert it back to a racer again.
    may get proper vintage groupset as it was a bit of a frankenstein.
    There could be a limitation(as stated) about rear dropouts not having enough scope to tension chain etc.
    just a winter project as it was collecting moisture in the shed .

original story about frame (Giant Team) was it was bought for 70 euro,wheels were a write off and quill stem & seatpost seized(alu).
    put regular wheels on but width offset never matched up(wheels would slip no matter how much i clamped them with quick release.

hi
    whats the best course of action?

clamp the sh~te out of rear wheel with turbo qr skewer.
    or buy dedicated fixie wheelset.
    either way i need a chain tensioner(ordered).

this is a fun summer bike nothing more not a working daily commuter.
    cheers
    j

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Thud

clamp the sh~te out of rear wheel with turbo qr skewer.
    Not ideal

You'll need to measure the drop out spacing vs the wheel.

Some steel frams can be cold set others can't, depends on the tubing.
    Drop outs need to be parallel otherwise it will cause uneven wear and mess up your wheel.

Alternatively sometimes axel spacers can work others you may need to re-dish the wheel.

have a read:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

If you're going single speed with sloping dropouts you should avoid QR wheels. The clamping force is not as high as you would get with a solid axle and bolts.

Advertisement