Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of getting a .22 LR treaded?

Options
  • 06-01-2017 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

The fella said it's usually 100 euro but he'd do it for 60 euro What do ye think of that? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

The fella said it's usually 100 euro but he'd do it for 60 euro What do ye think of that? Thanks

Becareful who your going to....make sure he is known for it or he could mess up your rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Crow Pigeon and Pheasant

Becareful who your going to....make sure he is known for it or he could mess up your rifle.

He's a gunshop! Don't think he will!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I could open a gunshop. Doesn't mean I know how to thread a barrel properly.

Don't get me wrong, your gunshop lad might be brilliant but get a few opinions off guys first.

I've never had to get a barrel threaded so I'm no use to you. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

If you seen some of the gunsmithing service carried out by some gun shops you'll realise how silly that comment is.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

What part of the world are you and lads might be able to make recommendations

• Advertisement

Bad_alibi wrote:
    What part of the world are you and lads might be able to make recommendations

I'm in kildare the place I was going to get it treaded was Atlantic Shooting and Fishing in Carlow

Go down to Dominic Byrne in Kiltealy Co. Wexford.

Does he do it himself or send it off?

Does he do it himself or send it off?

He is a gunsmith. domscustomrifles.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Most gunshops send their firearms away to have it threaded as they lack the knowledge and equipment to do it.

Just ask the gun shop who does their work for them.

Another point to remember is gun shops are bound by legal restraints so they cannot just send guns down to someone without an RFD license. They must record what guns they have, what guns they work on, and be available for inspection at all times.

So in reality most gunshops use the same couple of gunsmiths to do their work.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

Cass wrote:
    Another point to remember is gun shops are bound by legal restraints so they cannot just send guns down to someone without an RFD license. They must record what guns they have, what guns they work on, and be available for inspection at all times.

Cass wrote:
    Just ask the gun shop who does their work for them.

Cass wrote:
    Most gunshops send their firearms away to have it threaded as they lack the knowledge and equipment to do it.

Cass wrote:
    So in reality most gunshops use the same couple of gunsmiths to do their work.

Thanks yes they said they send the guns to someone in Hacketstown!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Tommyaya4

Paul Halloran has a lad in kilsheelan he dose all the rifles supposed to be very good 50 euro is what I was told

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

John Lambert Camolin is the only one i'd go to ,the guy that dose his work has a CNC lathe worth in excess of 100k ,Blaser barrels are around E900.00 a piece,and he dose a lot of them !Should cost slightly less than E100

Tommyaya4 wrote:
    Paul Halloran has a lad in kilsheelan he dose all the rifles supposed to be very good 50 euro is what I was told

John Lambert Camolin is the only one i'd go to ,the guy that dose his work has a CNC lathe worth in excess of 100k ,Blaser barrels are around E900.00 a piece,and he dose a lot of them !Should cost slightly less than E100

Thanks! I'll see!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

All people that work on firearms should have an RFD license.

So if the RFD you drop your gun into decides to send it on to someone without an RFD because they are close by or cheap, they are committing an offence and if caught you chance loosing your gun.

Hence the reason i said above to ask where each RFD sends their stuff to get done.

Dominic Byrne is not the only smith in the country and while his work is top class he works from a system. Meaning he has a list of jobs and regardless of the complexity of the job (threading a suppressor to full build) you get your gun done in the order he works from. Now last i checked he wanted the guns left with him so when he gets around to doing the work its there. However that could mean leaving the gun with him for weeks, for what is essentially an hours work.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭daleshooter

got a 22 done in Lakeland shooting cost e60 I think he sends them to someone to be threaded perfect job

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Captainaxiom

Last time I'd it done it cost €70

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭smallfry

Last year I got a barrel threaded. I went to RFD and he showed me some of the threading his gunsmith had done. Perfect I said, I'd like an invisible thread cap.No problem he replied, that will cost €95. Agreed.!
    Got a call 2 weeks later to let me know job done, come and collect.
    That will be €150 he declares when I arrive.
    Needless to say there was a fine argument to follow and eventually we settled somewhere in between. He won't be having my custom again.
    Careful who you deal with.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

smallfry wrote: »
    Last year I got a barrel threaded. I went to RFD and he showed me some of the threading his gunsmith had done. Perfect I said, I'd like an invisible thread cap.No problem he replied, that will cost €95. Agreed.!
    Needless to say there was a fine argument to follow and eventually we settled somewhere in between. He won't be having my custom again.
    Careful who you deal with.....

Next time, get the deal in writing on headed paper. And make a formal complaint to the local chamber of commerce in the town in which this crook is located.

tac

• Advertisement

smallfry wrote: »
    ................... that will cost €95. Agreed.!
    Where possible, pay on the spot and get a receipt. Can change their mind all they want after that.

Advertisement