Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Boxer to Beefcake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Week 12 Session 2

Today was a bit of a let down on the bench but happy on the chin-ups and the squat. I've introduced a light squat day midweek which is 75% of Monday's total. I just can't be dealing with heavy squats three times a week anymore I'll end up collapsing.

Light Squats
    20kg x 5
    50kg x 4
    65kg x 3
    80kg x 2
    82.5kg 3x5

Grand job here, form was lovely if I say so myself and the bar was super quick coming up.

Bench Press
    20kg x 5
    40kg x 4
    55kg x 3
    65kg x 2
    73.5kg 1x5, 2x4

This was a ball-ache to be honest. I took my new micro-plates for a test drive but hadn't a hope of making this on the first go. The last reps in the second two sets were a horror, only the will of God got them up I swear. This is a balls like, I'm starting to think the old linear progression is on the way out. I'm disappointed as I wanted to get past body weight for reps.

Dumbbell One Armed Rows
    36kg 3x6

Chin-ups
    2x10 1x8

This is a grand job now in fairness, seeing definite progress on these.

All in all a handy enough day bar the press, I'm away on holiday next week so looking forward to a week off.

Week 12 Session 3

"Ah heor! Will ya leave it bleedin' ou!"

Jesus what a banger. I'm actually battered from that session today, I've a deep ache everywhere and I'm just plain knackered - really hard work that took it out of me. Again a game of two halves, the squats and Press were very good but the deadlift was hard graft and knocked me for six really. I'm working hard every day on mobility and foam rolling but my piriformi are permanently tight these days, I need something harder than a tennis ball now I think. Shoulder is holding up and have the MRI on the 23rd,

Squat
    20kg x 5
    55kg x 4
    75kg x 3
    100kg x 2
    112.5kg 3x5

Handy stuff here, good speed under the bar. The only thing that bothered me was I twisted slightly coming up on two reps, that's something I definitely need to watch and dial back on in future. Pushing the rest periods a bit too makes a huge difference, I'd say I had at least four minutes for the last set.

Press. Deload #1 complete
    20kg x 6
    30kg x 4
    40kg x 3
    47.5kg 3x5

Speed and form was better than it was the last time I made this weight so going microloading from here on in.

Pull-ups widest grip
    1x8 1x8

Neutral pull ups
    1x10

Deadlift
    70kg x 5
    100kg x 3
    115kg x 1
    140kg FAIL
    140kg x 2 PR
    140kg x 1
    100kg x 4

Christ above this was torture, I was bloody dizzy after the warmups. Maybe I lack True Grit but this wasn't coming off the floor for five reps for love nor hamstrings. I never thought I'd be pulling 140 and this is a massive PR for me regardless. I was about to leave it off but horsed through two reps, waited sixty seconds and pulled a last one. I have a base now I can work up to 150 from. Really happy.

So there we have it, three months in. I didn't miss one session in 12 weeks and to be honest I'm proud of that level of consistency. I must post up a photo of myself. Ive lost fat around my waist, gotten a hell of a lot stronger and am in such a better mood. I'm going on holiday now to Algeria for a week next week which I think is well deserved. I'm tempted to test maxes before I leave on Tuesday.

Progress;
    Weight 76kg to 75kg

Squat 40kg 3x5 to 112.5kg 3x5
    Deadlift 60kg 1x5 to 140kg 1x2
    Bench 40kg 3x5 to 73.5 3x4
    Press 25kg 3x5 to 50kg 3x4

Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,600 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Well done.

Getting a level of consistency is huge and sets you up!

When you're nearing your max at squats and doing 3x5, it'll take a toll on your CNS so it's no surprise the deadlift suffered after.

Big improvements!

Well done.

Getting a level of consistency is huge and sets you up!

When you're nearing your max at squats and doing 3x5, it'll take a toll on your CNS so it's no surprise the deadlift suffered after.

Big improvements!

Thanks mate your advice has been much appreciated along the way too.

FTA69 wrote: »
    Thanks mate your advice has been much appreciated along the way too.

It's just my experiences....doesn't mean it's valid for you but if it was of any use, all well and good!

But definitely, building the habit is a big deal. There are times where progress stalls. You just need to persevere and look for what to change!

• Advertisement

Interim Session

Decided to squeeze in a last session before going on holiday, mainly I wanted to hit the bench Press I missed last week. I hate lifting in the mornings though I always feel tight as f*ck and slightly weaker.

Light Squats
    20kg x 5
    50kg x 4
    60kg x 3
    70kg x 2
    80kg 3x5

Handy out.

Bench Press
    20kg x 5
    50kg x 4
    60kg x 3
    67.5kg x 2
    73.5kg 3x5

The last reps on the last two sets were hard work but otherwise felt strong. Glad I nailed this before going away.

Dumbell Bent Over Row
    36kg 3x7 each side

Chins
    1x10 1x8 Fail 1x5

Ran out of gas here, I inadvertently went to failure on the second set and that wrecked me for the last.

Live from Algeria. There's not much to do in the evenings where I am so doing some body weight to stave off the DOMS. When I'm home.

100 squats
    100 push-ups.

Now today I need to find a bar...

Week 13 Session 1 - Bridging Session

So back from my holidays and had to drag myself into the gym today I was so wrecked. There wasn't a huge amount of boozing going on but my sleep wasn't the best and I was eating pure sh*te. Pastries and croissants for breakfast like, I don't know how the French took over half of the world with nothing but fags and pains au raisins and coffee for breakfast, they must have spent half their time on the jacks. Basically taking two sessions this week and Monday I hope to pick up where I left off.

Squats
    20kg x 5
    50kg x 4
    70kg x 3
    90kg x 2
    102.5kg 3x5

Brutal, but then again I had two fails on this weight not so long ago and I managed to get it today's after no sleep. Form was crap.

Bench Press
    20kg x 5
    40kg x 4
    50kg x 3
    60kg x 2
    70kg 3x5

Handy enough, MRI on the old shoulder now tomorrow.

Dumbell Row
    36kg 3x7

Chins
    1x10, 1x8, 1x4

Week 13 Session 2 - Bridging Session

This was a bit crap to be honest, I feel wiped and weak after that 8 days off and it's mad how losing that bit of time can sap your momentum in a sense. Squats were really tough and I struggled with form due to lack of mirror and people up my arse due to the gym being rammed. Was experimenting with the press and I felt weak but very happy with pull ups and deadlift. I had my MRI yesterday so fingers crossed.

Squats
    20kg x 5
    55kg x 4
    75kg x 3
    90kg x 2
    107.5kg 3x5

I chanced a few high bar reps and no way was it happening. Generally ok weightwise and I should be ok to pick up where I left off on Monday. I'm going to microload my heavy squat sessions so I'm adding 2kg a week.

Press
    20kg x 8
    30kg x 4
    45kg 3x5

I was watching Omar Isuf the other day and he was advocating a much narrower grip on the bar than I had previously, I gave it a bash and it felt a lot harder but maybe I'm leaning back less so my form is better? I'll stick with it a while and see how it goes. Felt weak.

Pull-ups
    1x9 2x8

Getting there.

Deadlift
    70kg x 5
    100kg x 3
    130kg x5

This was easy as pie. Way better than when I tried it last. Looking forward to next Wednesday now to see how I get on with 140 again.

Takes time to get back in the groove.

Grip width is something you need to find yourself. Really narrow grip is fine if your shoulders are up for it. Had a slight issue around my tricep before comp and had slightly wider grip - maybe 1.5" wider than normal and it was a sh*t show. No support on my back. Too narrow and i ended up in a slightly different position.

Just need to try a few and see what works.

• Advertisement

Week 14 Session 1

"They say underneath his beard, there is no chin. Simply more biceps."

Today was tough old going, I'm down to 74kg, I must be the only f*cker ever to go on holiday and lose weight. No MRI results yet, hopefully my shoulder doesn't look like the Somme inside. Rest periods are now 3.5 and 4 minutes. I'm back where I started now and will be microloading lifts, perhaps another month of linear progression? I think LP is coming to an end though and I'm pondering 531 to get used to volume work. Anyway, carts and horses.

Squats
    20kg x 5
    55kg x 4
    75kg x 3
    100kg x 2
    112.5kg 3x5

Hard graft here now, last reps were torture and the low bar placement is tough on the wrists no doubt. I think the depth is suffering ever so slightly, for the life of me I need a video.

Bench Press
    20kg x 10
    40kg x 4
    50kg x 3
    70kg x 2
    73.5kg 3x5

Horrendous. Bar moved at a snails pace the last rep and everything went a bit white. Bloody goosed from that I am. Bodyweight for sets and reps, huzzah.

One armed Row
    36kg 3x8 each side.

Chins
    3x8

Week 14 Session 2

"And then they banished the lemon tree to Springfield. Because it was haunted!"

Delighted with today now, was off work today so got in early and took my time. Hit a PR on the deadlifts, no hassle with the press. My only worry was that I was able to shift heavy deadlift because it was light squat day and will I be able to replicate that next week when heavy squats fall on the same day? Or do I need to move off this program altogether? Aside from that, happy days. I'm off for a victory nap.

Light Squats
    20kg x 5
    50kg x 4
    65kgx 3
    80kg x 2
    85kg 3 x 5

No strain here really. Glad of the rest.

Press
    20kg x 5
    35kg x 3
    42.5kg x 2
    47.5kg 3 x 5

I think the narrower grip is paying off and allows me to stack more and engage my lats better while keeping me more upright. I'll play around with it and hopefully progress past 50kg.

Pull ups
    2x9 1x6

Deadlift
    70kg x 5
    110kg x 2
    140kg x 5

Smashed this. Pure buzzing, as soon as the first two reps were done I knew I had it in the bag. If I'm doing this weight for five reps then double bodyweight must be achievable I'm thinking. Delighted. As I said above, only concern now is will I be able to do this on Monday after hitting heavy squats.

Week 14 Session 3

Pure gammy lads, total horror show from start to finish. Was working all day today and although I ate and slept well I just didn't feel on point going in there. Squats were crap, bench was mediocre. My piriformis was hard as a rock and although I spent time on it I felt it twanging on my warmups even. Whether I popped it deadlifting I don't know, not a strain as such but I wouldn't be doing a lot on it. Mobility is so important as you progress I,m discovering. I think I'm going to move on to 531 next week like, this constant adding of weight and heavy squatting/deads every day is doing me in.

Squats
    20kg x 5
    55kg x 4
    75kg x 3
    100kg x 2
    113.5kg 1x5 1x4 1x3

Dogsh*t really, form was abysmal, wrists screaming from lowbar, piriformis tightness preventing depth and General weakness. Maybe I need a deload for form's sake or maybe I'm just having a bad day I'm not sure.

Bench Press
    75kg 3x4

This wasn't the worst in the world in fairness, I imagine another couple of sessions I can pull it off.

Dumbell onearmed Row
    38kg 3x5 each side

Chin ups
    2x10 1x8

Much better.

All in all I'm feeling dissatisfied to be honest, the squats really bugged me today and I think I need to mind my back better. I do have disc issues after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Starting 5/3/1 myself next week. Our stats and numbers aren't too far off each other so I'll keep an eye on your progress

Week 15 Session 1

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology."

Had my MRI and am booked to see a consultant in 4 weeks. On my notes it said my shoulder "tested positive for the O'Brien test". I don't know what that is but it sounds sinister. On top of that my back is still slightly tweaked and I'm not taking risks with it for the sake of ego in the gym. I've taken a deload on the squats and deadlifts for the time being. Aside from that, today was good formwise - progressing nicely on the press.

Squats
    20kg x 5
    55kg x 4
    75kg x 3
    100kg x 2
    100kg 3x5

Really nice. My wrists are knackered from the low bar squatting so went high bar for these; the depth was ok and I was moving well under the bar. Back is still a bit delicate so didn't want to push it. I still feel a little "off" though; I've been working flat out 7 days and I think I need a rest.

Press
    20kg x 5
    30kg x 5
    40kg x 4
    48.5kg 3x5

Handy number this. Felt really good and only struggled the last rep of the last set. The closer grip makes a massive difference. Omar Isuf is a genius.

Pull-ups
    3x8

Deads
    70kg x 5
    100kg x 4
    142.5kg Fail
    100kg 3 x 5

Just didn't have it here, felt a twinge and dropped it as it came off the ground. Maybe it would have been good maybe not. I'm not risking it though!

Week 15 Session 2

Now we're playing hurling. Grand session today, flew through the bench, squat form was nice and felt strong enough. Being honest I'm starting to get a dull ache in my discs again. Now I don't know is this a natural reaction from doing loads of lower back stuff three times a week or is it a harbinger of horrific sciatic death pain around the corner. It's constantly had a bit of an old ache for nearly a year now but I'm going to increase the weight slowly again on the lower body stuff.

I've decided I'm going to move on to 531 next week, I want to start working in some extra volume and I think I've come to the end of my tether at LP on the major lifts.

Light Squat
    20kg x 5
    50kg x 4
    60kg x 3
    70kg x 2
    80kg 3x5

Lovely, great speed under the bar and good form; felt nothing in my back and let the quads do all the work.

Bench Press
    20kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    60kg x 3
    70kg x 1
    75kg 3x5

Smashed this, the only rep I had to push through was the very last one and I think that was down to lack of concentration more than anything.

Bent over Dumbell Row
    38kg 3x6 each side

Chins
    1x9 1x8 1x7 1x4 1x2

Decided I'm going to do 30 minimum per session for the Gunz.

Big day today, starting 5/3/1 and hoping to run it for 6 months with three of those months featuring the Boring But Big assistance in order to acclimatise to volume. My training maxes are:

Bench Press: 77kg
    Overhead Press: 50kg
    Squat: 107.5kg
    Deadlift: 135kg

With a bit of luck in six months I'll have hit my goals of:
    1) Overhead Press 60kg
    2) Squat 1.75 bodyweight
    3) Bench 1.2 bodyweight
    4) Deadlift 2.0 bodyweight for reps.

Mesocycle 1 Week 1 Session 1
    Bench Press
    Warm-up 40kg 2x5
    50kg x 5
    57.5kg x 5
    65kg x 5 (+4)

Piece of p*ss this, I was on the p*ss in Paris all weekend and still had no bother here. I'm hoping playing the long game will pay off because this felt easy.

BBB
    Overhead Press 25kg 5x10

Jesus I'm not used to this volume lark, super pump.

Dumbell Row
    24kg 5x10

Chins
    3x6

Literally no strength left in my arms after all that volume caper. Bad form.

Big day today, starting 5/3/1 and hoping to run it for 6 months with three of those months featuring the Boring But Big assistance in order to acclimatise to volume. My training maxes are:

Bench Press: 77kg
    Overhead Press: 50kg
    Squat: 107.5kg
    Deadlift: 135kg

With a bit of luck in six months I'll have hit my goals of:
    1) Overhead Press 60kg
    2) Squat 1.75 bodyweight
    3) Bench 1.2 bodyweight
    4) Deadlift 2.0 bodyweight for reps.

Mesocycle 1 Week 1 Session 1
    Bench Press
    Warm-up 40kg 2x5
    50kg x 5
    57.5kg x 5
    65kg x 5 (+4)

Piece of p*ss this, I was on the p*ss in Paris all weekend and still had no bother here. I'm hoping playing the long game will pay off because this felt easy.

BBB
    Overhead Press 25kg 5x10

Jesus I'm not used to this volume lark, super pump.

Dumbell Row
    24kg 5x10

Chins
    3x6

Literally no strength left in my arms after all that volume caper. Bad form.

How come you're doing bench and ohp on the same day?
    Edit. Sorry just realised it was your assistance excersise. Thought you were doing 2 main lifts on one day.

Chicken pox and a 2 year old has held me up from starting this. Hopefully I'll be starting day 1 on thursday. It should be interesting to see what kind of progress we make in the same timeframe.

Looks like we have a competition here, lads ;)

He's got ten kilos on me so I demand a handicap in this race of the gym horses. As I said I came back from Paris yesterday with a box of patisserie cakes so I ate them all after training; the way I see it I'm better off having one day of immense cake rather than having a bit every day. I regret nothing. There's at least 8g of protein in a mega eclair.

Because my discs and shoulder aren't knackered I'm alternating assistance and main lifts so as that I'm not overloading a specific body part every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Never regret cake.

The French diet would make you sick. How these lads conquered half of Africa on nothing but a crossaint and a fag for breakfast is beyond me. They must have been on the jacks more often than not.

Looks like we have a competition here, lads ;)

Oh it's on. ;)
    I'm looking forward to seeing if two lads, similarish stats can make similar progress. I've 10 kilos on him, my 1RM are a small bit higher, but we should make the same gains %wise in theory.
    Let the games begin

"Cash me ouside, how bow dah?!"

Cycle 1 Week 1 Session 2

Everything easy bar the pump from the volume. Volume deadlifts are the devil.

Squats
    20kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    65kg x 3
    70kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    92.5kg x 5 (+5)

Flew through this to be honest, I think my form was much better than it has been previously and I'm concentrating on a straight vertical path for the bar while keeping a highbar setup. (Thank you Alan Thrall). The last set was hearty stuff and I'm not at all equipped for volume.

BBB Deadlift
    60kg 4x10

Jee-zus, some faces pulled here like. My f*cking forearms are in bits. This better pay off.

Leg Curl Seated
    27.5kg 5x10

Again not used to this caper so cramps kicked in after two sets but horsed through it. Some faces pulled I can tell ye. I'm bate with DOMS from yesterday,

"Cash me ouside, how bow dah?!"

Cycle 1 Week 1 Session 2

Everything easy bar the pump from the volume. Volume deadlifts are the devil.

Squats
    20kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    65kg x 3
    70kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    92.5kg x 5 (+5)

Flew through this to be honest, I think my form was much better than it has been previously and I'm concentrating on a straight vertical path for the bar while keeping a highbar setup. (Thank you Alan Thrall). The last set was hearty stuff and I'm not at all equipped for volume.

BBB Deadlift
    60kg 4x10

Jee-zus, some faces pulled here like. My f*cking forearms are in bits. This better pay off.

Leg Curl Seated
    27.5kg 5x10

Again not used to this caper so cramps kicked in after two sets but horsed through it. Some faces pulled I can tell ye. I'm bate with DOMS from yesterday,

What's BBB?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    What's BBB?

Boring But Big. One assistance method in 531 is doing 5x10 in the big lifts at 50% of your training max. A lot of people swear by it so I'm going to give it a bash for three months.

Jee-zus, some faces pulled here like. My f*cking forearms are in bits. This better pay off

You think Dtp will be talking like this?

Jussayin

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

This is great craic

Starting to feel the pressure now :)

• Advertisement

Catastrophically injured young athlete whose dreams were ruined making a comeback against all the odds to take on a stronger opponent. They'll make a film about me yet.

Also the other lad hasn't even started for f*ck's sake. All talk. I had builders around and bought them muffins they didn't even eat so I'm having a final cake day.

Advertisement