Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Boxer to Beefcake

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Cycle 4 Week 3 Session 3

Woke up today half hungover after four cans (joker, I used be cool) and sleep deprived. Came home from work after a 13 hour day at 9pm and just sucked it up and went. Screaming with DOMS from squat day and up at the crack of dawn now tomorrow for deadlifts before work or they won't get done. Living the life of a champion is hard.

Press
    22.5kg x 5
    27.5kg x 5
    35kg x 3
    42.5kg x 5
    47.5kg x 3
    55kg x 1 (+4) PR!

Big personal record here for me. The fourth rep was surreal, it literally locked in place half way through completion, just above my head and I had to kind of visualise myself as a hydrolic Press to get it pushed out. The fifth I paused for ten seconds and horsed it. Banging.

BBB Bench Press
    47.5kg 5x10

Increased the weight here again, no bothers at all.

Pulls and Chins 4x8

Screw you guys, I'm goin' home.

Cycle 4 Week 3 Session 4

Crap this morning. Woke up tired and hungry on an empty stomach and decided to squeE in deadlifts before work. I'm not going doing heavy deads anymore first thing; I'm too stiff and weak for it and don't have the time to properly mobilise for it.

60kg x 5
    72.5kg x 5
    87.5kg x 3
    107.5kg x 5
    122.5kg x 3
    137.5kg x 1 (+2)

Not my best here at all. Got really light headed and dizzy and felt my back tightening so cut it short. Probably had only one poor form rep left anyway. Darted off to work then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

FTA69 wrote: »
    Cycle 4 Week 3 Session 4

Crap this morning. Woke up tired and hungry on an empty stomach and decided to squeE in deadlifts before work. I'm not going doing heavy deads anymore first thing; I'm too stiff and weak for it and don't have the time to properly mobilise for it.

60kg x 5
    72.5kg x 5
    87.5kg x 3
    107.5kg x 5
    122.5kg x 3
    137.5kg x 1 (+2)

Not my best here at all. Got really light headed and dizzy and felt my back tightening so cut it short. Probably had only one poor form rep left anyway. Darted off to work then.

Do you find early morning workouts different to day or night get time any better or easier? I do all my lifting at 6am on an empty stomach but I've actually never lifted much later than that so I've nothing to compare against

• Registered Users Posts: 24,588 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Do you find early morning workouts different to day or night get time any better or easier? I do all my lifting at 6am on an empty stomach but I've actually never lifted much later than that so I've nothing to compare against

The key is to get a proper warm up in. When I used to squeeze in sessions ahead of work, I kept it to accessory days (when I had the extra day to do those). I've had heavy deadlifts and squats done before 8am and they went well but because I had had a proper warm up under my belt.

Spot on Alf. If I'd twenty minutes for foam rolling, stretching and a bit of an auld jog I'd be laughing but I didn't at all. Likewise I'd little sleep. Huge contrast between this morning and an afternoon weekend session after a big feed of fish and spuds.

I'm going through a mad period in work but just glad to keep the consistency going and squeezing in a main lift is better than sacking a session off altogether.

• Advertisement

Cycle 5 Week 1 Session 1

Jesus lads the heat over here, shorts stuck to me they are. I've miscalculated the dates for my holiday. I'm going to start this cycle, deload next week (as I won't be able to do much with work) and then finish the cycle just before my holiday on 16th July.

All in all ok today, nothing special.

Bench Press
    35kg x 5
    45kg x 5
    52.5kg x 3
    57.5kg x 5
    65kg x 5
    75kg x 5 (+2)

Bodyweight for seven reps, happy days here and had another one or two in the tank maybe. Capped it a shame I'd no spot and my shoulder is feeling a bit odd today.

Press BBB
    30kg 5x10

This was harder than last week.

Kroc Row
    28kg 5x10

This is getting easier I'll increase next week.

Chin ups +10kg
    3x6

Getting much harder now

"I could have been a contender..."

Cycle 5 Week 1 Session 2

Well it's finally happened, picked up a tweak in my back. The squats were lovely, no bother. Then doing the volume deadlifts I felt a twang on the first set out of bloody nowhere, the form must have been way off. Concentration is so important like. Shelved the rest of the session bar the pull ups but think I'll be ok soon. It hurts just above the hip hinge as I bend forward.

Squats
    50kg x 5
    62.5kg x 5
    75kg x 3
    82.5kg x 5
    95kg x 5
    107.5kg x 5 (+4)

Delighted with this, great effort there on the last set and a rep PR definitely.

Deadlift BBB
    67.5kg x crippled for life

Pull ups
    3x10

Also if that messer Dtp1979 thinks he has me beat, think again. I'll be like Batman inside in the prison cave after his back was broke - doing loads of pull ups etc til I'm better and burst back on the scene with a monster squat.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,588 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Also if that messer Dtp1979 thinks he has me beat, think again. I'll be like Batman inside in the prison cave after his back was broke - doing loads of pull ups etc til I'm better and burst back on the scene with a monster squat.

I saw a 'my' between 'burst' and 'back' the first time I read that.

Ha. I swear by difene. Got me through some terrible injuries. High rep deadlifts really are a recipe for disaster sometimes.

• Advertisement

How's the back?

Advertisement