Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk price

Options
  • 06-01-2017 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

I can't believe the difference in milk prices from store's own label to branded labels. My husband picked up some milk yesterday (I asked him to get the Super Valu one and he came back with Dawn. The Super Valu one is 75c the Dawn one was 1.19, both same size. Crazy. I would assume that one of the major milk companies make the milk for Super Valu?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

Yeah major milk suppliers produce the majority of milk in Ireland. Major retailers use it as a loss leader - that is sell it under cost. That is why it's much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Less advertising costs too. I would not be familiar enough with costs to know if its below cost. Some sizes of own brand are not nearly as cheaper per litre. I read M&S pay their famers more for better quality milk.

A green grocer near me used to sell branded milk from NI a lot cheaper than tescos cheapest. I very much doubt it was a loss leader as he had no restrictions and I saw people walking out with gallons of the stuff and no fruit or veg.

Some other products have higher price difference and probably cost around the same to produce, regardless if you think they taste better or not. e.g. tesco have an own brand diet cola which is 55cent for 2L, coke zero is the only one I prefer over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

You can tell which dairy produced the milk by checking the "Approved Food Establishment" code against the list from the Food Safety boys
    https://www.fsai.ie/food_businesses/approved_food_establishments.html

The code is in an oval printed on the label. Here's a UK one (couldn't quickly find an IE picture online):

ID%20mark.png

You get the same mark on meat and poultry.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The vitamins and other supplements added to the 'super milk' and similar (usually red) cartons varies by brand. For example Avonmore Super Milk has roughly double the Vitamin D (mg/100ml) as the own brand equivalent in Lidl. The own brands can also have more fat in the 'reduced fat' cartons than what's in the major brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Dunne;s often have the 2 for E4 on the 3 litre packs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Nobody is supplying stores at a loss in liquid milk. You are simply paying for a brand and the milk possibly coming from the same cow.
    Farmer gets the same for either.
    Auviro from Connacht, Arrabawn from Tipperary, Glanbia from Kilkenny, Donegal Creameries and Strathroy from NI tender bid for own brands.
    Just note Strathroy milk could be from a farm in Wexford.

It really tells you the price of a brand.

Advertisement