Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBOX storage

• 06-01-2017 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi my son asked me to get a storage thingy for the Xbox one. He has deleted loads of stuff but has not much storage left. He has the first Xbox One so it has 500g storage only. Does anyone know what I should get. Have googled and am afraid I will get the wrong one. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced one and where to buy. TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Just make sure it's over 256gb and USB 3.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Best to get a 1TB, wont have to worry about storage again any time soon IMO. Also make sure to get a USB 3.0 HD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Best to get a 1TB, wont have to worry about storage again any time soon IMO. Also make sure to get a USB 3.0 HD

I'd definitely say get 2TB of this drive for the sake of it.

I've 4.5TB (2x2TB + 500gb) on mine and I am happy enough but only about 1TB or less freely. When I bought it day one, I thought 1TB but they fill up fast.

Argos was very cheap before Christmas too. Here is the 2TB, better more space that you might not need yet than needing space when you don't have it.

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2489935/Trail/searchtext>Seagate.htm

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Hi my son asked me to get a storage thingy for the Xbox one. He has deleted loads of stuff but has not much storage left. He has the first Xbox One so it has 500g storage only. Does anyone know what I should get. Have googled and am afraid I will get the wrong one. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced one and where to buy. TIA

I'd go with a 2TB USB3 drive if you can, the price difference between the two won't be huge, and it'll last him a lot longer.

Also, I prefer the 2.5 inch drives to the 3.5 drives, they're smaller and they also don't need a separate plug for it to run, you just need to plug it into the xbox.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

amadablam wrote: »
    I'd definitely say get 2TB of this drive for the sake of it.

I've 4.5TB on mine and I am happy enough but only about 1TB or less freely. When I bought it day one, I thought 1TB but they fill up fast.

Argos was very cheap before Christmas too. Here is the 2TB, better more space that you might not need yet than needing space when you don't have it.

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2489935/Trail/searchtext>Seagate.htm

I've been contemplating buying a new external hard drive (mainly for movies). From what I could find, there wasn't a huge difference in price between the 1TB and 2TB so definitely think you are worth getting the 2TB.

I like the look of the above, thanks amadablam. I was contemplating this from Currys, but the above is better value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Some people say we should stay away from Seagate.
    Unless you're pressed for time, you should always avoid Curry's, there's much better value in online stores like Komplett and Elara.

I have a 2TB Toshiba Canvio similar to this one. On the other hand, this is powered separately, and some people prefer the USB-powered portable HDDs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

JoyPad wrote: »
    Unless you're pressed for time, you should always avoid Curry's, there's much better value in online stores like Komplett and Elara.

I have a 2TB Toshiba Canvio similar to this one. On the other hand, this is powered separately, and some people prefer the USB-powered portable HDDs.

I am planning on buying it with a One 4 All gift card so it has to be a bricks and mortar shop unfortunately.

I have an old external hard drive, must be 10 years old, it's 256GB and mains powered. I will never buy another mains powered hard drive, it's such a pain to have to plug it in and it makes things very awkward

BDJW wrote: »
    I've been contemplating buying a new external hard drive (mainly for movies). From what I could find, there wasn't a huge difference in price between the 1TB and 2TB so definitely think you are worth getting the 2TB.

I like the look of the above, thanks amadablam. I was contemplating this from Currys, but the above is better value

I have three of them here and they are all going well. Argos had the 2TB before Christmas for 79 but they can be got online for less. Amazon mainly

Some lads are buying the 4TB ones but personally, I wouldn't risk losing that much data if it corrupted. Bad enough worry about 2TB :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

JoyPad wrote: »

Id say a lot of folk on here jumped on the 2tb seagate drives that were reduced in argos about 2 years ago, haven't noticed many complaints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I am planning on buying it with a One 4 All gift card so it has to be a bricks and mortar shop unfortunately.

I have an old external hard drive, must be 10 years old, it's 256GB and mains powered. I will never buy another mains powered hard drive, it's such a pain to have to plug it in and it makes things very awkward

well then Argos is your best bet

if you dont mind having to use an extra power socket

3tb for 100 is pretty good

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1434716/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%2C+PCs+and+phones%7C14418968/c_2/3%7C19780850%7CHard+drives%2C+USBs+and+data+storage%7C14419053/c_3/4%7Ccat_14419053%7CExternal+hard+drives%7C16528298.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

the seagate portable expansion ones are the best recommended,

also no need to buy the xbox branded one its the same drive in a green enclosure and a bigger price tag,

also if you are going to get a different model do a google search to see how others get on with the drive as some require more power then the xbox usb port puts out and although it will work it will disconnect randomly that's why the seagate ones would be my recommendation they are good value too, i see argos jacked the price up usually a 2tb one is $80

also just to add the power issue was with the old black xbox one, not sure of the situation of the xbox one s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,314 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

You can convert One 4 All vouchers to Amazon credit now - https://www.one4allrewards.co.uk/amazon.html

emmetkenny wrote: »
    You can convert One 4 All vouchers to Amazon credit now - https://www.one4allrewards.co.uk/amazon.html

That's pretty awesome lad! I usually hate getting those vouchers.....☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

emmetkenny wrote:
    You can convert One 4 All vouchers to Amazon credit now -

That is savage news! Nice one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

Groupon have a deal for a Samsung D3 Station External Hard Drive
    The 2TB is €80

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Bit late here, but you should consider getting a solid state drive. I got an internal 500Gb SSD for about €120 on amazon. You can get a USB 3.0 adaptor for about €10.

Result load times halved...boom

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Bit late here, but you should consider getting a solid state drive. I got an internal 500Gb SSD for about €120 on amazon. You can get a USB 3.0 adaptor for about €10.

Result load times halved...boom

This just showed up on Groupon, its only 128GB and 256GB but would it work the same way?
    https://www.groupon.ie/deals/verbatim-vx450-external-solid-state-drive-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

This just showed up on Groupon, its only 128GB and 256GB but would it work the same way?

Complete waste of time buying one that small, and price is a rip-off.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The 256GB would actually work, but as McGovern said, it's pretty small, and not that great a price. You'd only fit a few games on there, maybe two or three large ones.

You can get 512GB external drives for not much more, I'd go with one of those first.

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    The 256GB would actually work, but as McGovern said, it's pretty small, and not that great a price. You'd only fit a few games on there, maybe two or three large ones.

You can get 512GB external drives for not much more, I'd go with one of those first.

I got my 500GB ssd, and enclosure from amazon in the cyber monday sale for €105.

The difference it makes to load times is tremendous. Its a must have for battlefield 1 (you generally are the first to spawn, and you get your pick of the vehicles while everyone else is loading in) and it made halved the load times for the witcher 3 for me.

I have a 2TB where I keep games that arent too loading intensive or played often, but all the current stuff goes on the SSD.
    After an Elite Controller, and Decent headset, it should be next on the upgrade list for most people IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭tripperman

I got my 500GB ssd, and enclosure from amazon in the cyber monday sale for €105.

The difference it makes to load times is tremendous. Its a must have for battlefield 1 (you generally are the first to spawn, and you get your pick of the vehicles while everyone else is loading in) and it made halved the load times for the witcher 3 for me.

I have a 2TB where I keep games that arent too loading intensive or played often, but all the current stuff goes on the SSD.
    After an Elite Controller, and Decent headset, it should be next on the upgrade list for most people IMO.

Is that correct it halves the load time's on game's like battlefield 1 and improved the connection for playing it?, battlefield load time's are to long for me at the minute, everyone else is gone when I get in so I'm left behind running to objectives
    a new guy at work was on about it yesterday didn't know if he was for real or talking bs, said he got a 2tb one for 90 two week or 3 weeks ago, would it be the best one to run a game off?

tripperman wrote: »
    Is that correct it halves the load time's on game's like battlefield 1 and improved the connection for playing it?, battlefield load time's are to long for me at the minute, everyone else is gone when I get in so I'm left behind running to objectives
    a new guy at work was on about it yesterday didn't know if he was for real or talking bs, said he got a 2tb one for 90 two week or 3 weeks ago, would it be the best one to run a game off?

the stuff below is from my post when I originally installed the drive

Witcher 3, from start screen to save game loaded
    Standard 1 minute 19 seconds
    Solid state 37 seconds

Battlefield 1, from server browser to squad join on the ballroom blitz map
    Standard 1 minute 58 Seconds
    Solid state 43.6 seconds.

I'm very very impressed.

Drive , enclosure and parcel motel came in at just under €110

Is it possible to link us to the drive you got Stone please?

A 2TB SSD for €90? Yeah, that's BS, or most likely, he doesn't really know what he's talking about. A 2TB HDD would be about €90, so that's most likely what he's got.

That being said, almost all external drives are faster than the internal drive, due to the internal drive being limited to using the SATA2 protocol.* A 7200RPM external drive will have a slightly faster load time than the internal drive, but it's much of a muchness really, SSD is where it's at. Going to wait for 1TB SSDs to become cheap before I spring for one.

*This was true for the original Xbox One, not sure if it applies to the S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,314 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

A 2TB SSD for €90? Yeah, that's BS, or most likely, he doesn't really know what he's talking about. A 2TB HDD would be about €90, so that's most likely what he's got..

I was thinking the exact same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭tripperman

A 2TB SSD for €90? Yeah, that's BS, or most likely, he doesn't really know what he's talking about. A 2TB HDD would be about €90, so that's most likely what he's got.

That being said, almost all external drives are faster than the internal drive, due to the internal drive being limited to using the SATA2 protocol.* A 7200RPM external drive will have a slightly faster load time than the internal drive, but it's much of a muchness really, SSD is where it's at. Going to wait for 1TB SSDs to become cheap before I spring for one.

*This was true for the original Xbox One, not sure if it applies to the S.

Wouldn't have a clue between SSD and HDD myself, just his talk of how quickly it would load into game's struck me when I was playing last night and I realised I was nearly last all the time, but I think this is the one he could be talking about which is only HDD I think (hope this link work's I'm on the phone) it's a Seagate

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2489935.htm

Thats the one I got 2 years ago in Harvey Norman, was only €60 back then

• Advertisement

Wouldn't have a clue between SSD and HDD myself, just his talk of how quickly it would load into game's struck me when I was playing last night and I realised I was nearly last all the time, but I think this is the one he could be talking about which is only HDD I think (hope this link work's I'm on the phone) it's a Seagate

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2489935.htm

Yeah, that's almost certainly the one, or at least, something similiar. For an external drive to work on the Xbox One, it needs to be at least 256GB, and USB3. From a price/size point of view, 2TB is the usually best in terms of space per euro. An SSD is slightly different in that it's amazing fast, but amazingly expensive when you look at it from the size/price point of view.

Advertisement