Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting a horse box

Options
  • 06-01-2017 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm looking into the idea of converting a horse box into a catering unit, have seen a few examples and the are very eye catching. My question is to any electricians on boards, would it be a big/expensive job to put a power supply in it, it would need lighting, hot water, a few power points for refrigeration and cooking appliances and an extraction fan. Any help would be great as I'm clueless when it comes to electric's!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

A power supply? I take it you mean a generator, these range in price. You are going to have to calculate your load and work out what size you will need! A catering van will be fairly heavy on load so it won't be cheap.
    First and second fixing is another job then. I suppose 2 or 3 days labour plus fittings

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

If you go for a gas cooker you will need a smaller generator, prob get away with a 4-5kva, but if you go electric your talking much bigger

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

Thanks for the replies, I understand it would run of a generator but what I'm hoping to find out is a rough cost of getting the trailer wired, sorry for the confusion.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

TheBully wrote: »
    If you go for a gas cooker you will need a smaller generator, prob get away with a 4-5kva, but if you go electric your talking much bigger

My thoughts exactly.
    To reduce the electrical load further you could also go for gas powered fridges (no im not joking).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

Just out of interest is this a brand new horse box or one that has seen a bit of use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

hesker wrote: »
    Just out of interest is this a brand new horse box or one that has seen a bit of use?

I'd like to buy an older trailer with a sound structure and do most of the work myself apart from the electrics and/or gas.

Advertisement