Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed vans

• 06-01-2017 12:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭

I was under the impression that bikes don't get caught by speed vans as there is no way for them to get the number plate but then I have seen someone posted that they got done by a speed van, can anyone confirm this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Of course they can be caught. If you have seen somebody post about it is that not confirmation that they work? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

bikes can be caught by speed vans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

A bike can only be caught going AWAY from a speed van, in other words on the other side of the road, and only if the tax disc hasn't slipped down. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭Stillnotworking

I have been caught by a Speed Van! Embarrassed but didn't slow down fast enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm under the impression they can catch you riding away from them, if your tax disc hasn't slipped down or if you've forgotten to wash your reg plate in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I'm under the impression they can catch you riding away from them, if your tax disc hasn't slipped down or if you've forgotten to wash your reg plate in years.

They can :( They definitely can. :( I got caught but still don't know exactly where. I imagine he was tucked into a lane hiding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Bikes have an advantage over cars when it comes to speed vans, if you are approaching a speed van over the limit and the rear of the van is facing you, they have detected you are speeding but don't have your numberplate yet, the numberplate is pictured via a camera at the front of the van as you drive away. I know someone (ahem, not me your honour) that was very over the speed limit approaching a speed van and managed to stop the bike before passing the van, hoped off, took the numberplate off the bike and carried on his way until away from the van and refitted the plate, never heard anymore about it.

If you are approaching the van and the front is facing you, if you can manage to slow down before passing the van you should be ok as the speed an only has speed detection at the rear, this is the same whether you are in a car or on a bike.

If you fly past at the speed of sound and don't spot the van in time or at all you are fcuked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,129 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

rustynutz wrote: »
    Bikes have an advantage over cars when it comes to speed vans, if you are approaching a speed van over the limit and the rear of the van is facing you, they have detected you are speeding but don't have your numberplate yet, the numberplate is pictured via a camera at the front of the van as you drive away. I know someone (ahem, not me your honour) that was very over the speed limit approaching a speed van and managed to stop the bike before passing the van, hoped off, took the numberplate off the bike and carried on his way until away from the van and refitted the plate, never heard anymore about it.
    Surely a more practical approach for such an antisocial miscreant is to carry a big white sticker the size of your numberplate that can be applied in seconds and torn off further up the road.

Unless having a sticker is more of a crime than missing a numberplate.

Lumen wrote: »
    Surely a more practical approach for such an antisocial miscreant is to carry a big white sticker the size of your numberplate that can be applied in seconds and torn off further up the road.

Unless having a sticker is more of a crime than missing a numberplate.

Yes, he now carries a roll of duck tape with him for future occasions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If you are approaching the van and the front is facing you, if you can manage to slow down before passing the van you should be ok as the speed an only has speed detection at the rear, this is the same whether you are in a car or on a bike.

If you fly past at the speed of sound and don't spot the van in time or at all you are fcuked!

or just turn around and drive slowly the other way :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Sounds like you fell for a spoof right there.

And as for the camera at the front of the van, they're purely for crew?van protection and not a speed detection camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Sounds like you fell for a spoof right there.

And as for the camera at the front of the van, they're purely for crew?van protection and not a speed detection camera.

He sure did. Front camera is for the crew and security. ONLY the rear camera of the van takes both speed and picture. So yes you need to be traveling away from the back of the van to be caught. But as said, a tax disc sorts that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,129 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

goodlad wrote: »
    But as said, a tax disc sorts that
    Does it really? I've seen droopy tax disc holders and they only cover a couple of digits.

Given the low number of bikes to cars it can't be hard to get a unique match on a bike.

Perhaps I'm expecting too much of our justice system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Lumen wrote: »
    Does it really? I've seen droopy tax disc holders and they only cover a couple of digits.

Given the low number of bikes to cars it can't be hard to get a unique match on a bike.

Perhaps I'm expecting too much of our justice system.

In theory yes. But could/would they really be able to use this against you if they did match a partial reg with a bike?

If its a gosafe van then anything without a clear and full plate is just disregard.

If its a police van in theory if the cop was that bothered he may do some investigation work to narrow it down but really i cant see anyone being arsed.

goodlad wrote: »
    He sure did. Front camera is for the crew and security. ONLY the rear camera of the van takes both speed and picture. So yes you need to be traveling away from the back of the van to be caught. But as said, a tax disc sorts that

Are you 100% sure about that? If you approach a speedvan at crazy speed they wouldn't be bothered to check the CCTV at the front of the van for your reg? Seems a bit unbelievable to me as it would be very simple to do. If you are right (and I'm not saying your not) that is great news for us bikers as it greatly reduces the chances of being caught

Yep im 100% sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I can vaguely recall a case where a bike was clocked going so fast towards the camera at the back of a van, that they did actually use the front camera to capture the plate and they prosecuted. (He was doing a mad speed, think over 200)

I will try and find it.

Advertisement