Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini trunking?

Options
  • 06-01-2017 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi all.
    Bought our first house 6 months ago and finally have a little money together to do some DIY jobs. House is 12 year old 2 story house. Sitting room has block walls and upstairs has partition walls. Sitting room has good quality plastering and ceiling coving.

Unfortunately there are no plugs behind the couch! We have a large bay window and plugs where the tv is on the opposite side of the room. Would trunking underneath the bay window (we eventually would like to put in a window seat) and going behind the couch with surface boxes look funny? We will be painting after the work and want to paint the skirting boards white.

If anyone has any experience with these in a residential setting I'd really appreciate some feedback. The electrician has quoted me 150 to include labour and two double sockets with USBS. Do I have any other options apart from chasing the walls?

All advice appreciated!

The radiator is behind the couch... would this make any difference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

Why don't you run cables behind the skirting board?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Cokezero

Thanks,
    I didn't know I could do that...I will def suggest to the electrician. Would I have to lift the current skirting board or replace it?

Appreciate the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

Same skirting will do, this isn't an approved manner but it's a cheap and hassle free way of doing this without chasing. skirting is generally for life and there is no fear of anyone hammering a screw for a picture into it.
    Also your sockets are on an rcd so you ate protected if this does happen.
    Talk to your spark, I'm sure he has done this before

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

TheBully wrote: »
    Same skirting will do, this isn't an approved manner but it's a cheap and hassle free way of doing this without chasing.

It is also against regulations and for good reason.

Also your sockets are on an rcd so you ate protected if this does happen.

There is no guarantee that an RCD will save you! Don't bet your life on it.
    Talk to your spark, I'm sure he has done this before

If he has get another sparks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

TheBully wrote: »
    Why don't you run cables behind the skirting board?
    Because it's rightly forbidden unless it was in, for example, earthed steel conduit, pyro or SWA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

Is having an electrical chase from first floor joices to socket on first floor now illegal?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Is having an electrical chase from first floor joices to socket on first floor now illegal?

No, this is permitted, however it should be a vertical chase.
    This is the way sockets in many homes are wired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

To conclude a horizontal chase behind skirting I.e less than 6 inches above floor level is against regulations?

Advertisement