Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

opinions on rod size

• 06-01-2017 1:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

so i have a 10ft6 #7 weight airflo fly rod but never really like it and fond the action a bit soft, so im thinking about upgrading, most of my fishing is from shore either river or lake/reservoir but primarily lake, most people same to use either a 9ft6 or 10ft, what do most people use? also i think my fly reel with is metal is probably too heavy to balance new lightweight fly rods, i always liked the sharpes gordon 2 but im hearing great thinks about the shakespeare agility 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

deaglan169 wrote: »
    so i have a 10ft6 #7 weight airflo fly rod but never really like it and fond the action a bit soft, so im thinking about upgrading, most of my fishing is from shore either river or lake/reservoir but primarily lake, most people same to use either a 9ft6 or 10ft, what do most people use? also i think my fly reel with is metal is probably too heavy to balance new lightweight fly rods, i always liked the sharpes gordon 2 but im hearing great thinks about the shakespeare agility 2

Shakespeare agilty are great rods hard to beat for the price imho.. as for rod lengths a 10ft is probably the most popular but You could go for a 9'6 for rivers and lakes.. Reel's you can pick up some nice reels.. for the price greys are a good option! what size rivers are you fishing? if there fairly big a 10ft would be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

went for a shakespeare agility mk1 9ft6 #7 rod in end bit of a bargain, brand new delivered £30 cant go wrong really, it will be mainly lakes i will be fishing from shore and i have a larger 11ft3 rod for lake fishing from boat, any rivers i fish which is rare would be at most 20ft wide, plenty of cheap reals on ebay just gotta decide on one i like really and pick up a new line as my orig line is very old and has alot of memory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Nice one..

As for lines barrio make great lines for fairly cheap.. as for a reel go with something decent enough as it will last you a good while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

yeah heard great reports about the barrio the mallard line would prob do me fine also heard the skb pirate lines are recommended too

Advertisement