Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4x4 for hunting

Options
  • 06-01-2017 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

hi all,looking for opinions on a good small 4x4 for hunting/shooting, diesel,got a few permissions that the car just cant cope with,(up very hilly countryside)so thinking of trading up,budget around the 20 grand mark,thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

For 20k you've a lot of options. I drive a Mitsubishi L200 crewcab and a Dacia Duster commercial. L200 = Great machine. Probably not the most refined but copes with rough roading very well but my next set of tyres will be all terrains, on road tyres at the moment. Good power and average economy. None of the larger 4x4s are good on diesel. I had a 2006 LWB Pajero previously and loved it too.
    My Duster is 2wd only but has good ground clearance and great space internally. I do a lot of mileage in it and find it economical, comfortable, well specced and great value. I havn't really taken it off-road but have driven it on mucky sites and up some embankments with no issues. As long as you know your limits, its fine. A 4wd Duster brand new would probably come in at less than 20k and I would recommend it if its the smaller 4x4 you want.
    Do not buy a Navara!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Cant go wrong with the mitsubishis,if they haven't been arsed about.Drive a 95 Pajero MK 2 and its the most bullet proof 4wd Ive ever driven . Mk3 in comparison is soft as hell I find.
    Only thing that proably surpasses them ,is Toyota.[Put it like this,if ISIS and the Taliban drive them,you can be sure they are tough machines..:p]
    15/20 k will certainly get you into a very good hunting wagon,but I'd hold onto the car for day to day commutes if you are looking at a pick up/crew cab. Crew cabs are pretty bouncy on the road if you don't have a load on the back.So they aren't too much fun on long drives.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Cant go wrong with the mitsubishis,if they haven't been arsed about.Drive a 95 Pajero MK 2 and its the most bullet proof 4wd Ive ever driven . Mk3 in comparison is soft as hell I find.
    Only thing that proably surpasses them ,is Toyota.[Put it like this,if ISIS and the Taliban drive them,you can be sure they are tough machines..:p]
    15/20 k will certainly get you into a very good hunting wagon,but I'd hold onto the car for day to day commutes if you are looking at a pick up/crew cab. Crew cabs are pretty bouncy on the road if you don't have a load on the back.So they aren't too much fun on long drives.

Crewcabs are just too expensive to be going for NY reasonable mileage for day to day use. I have a 2005 l200, and I drive only about 6k mikes a year in it, if I had to use it for daily use, it would be gone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

The Mitsubishi Pajeros are very reliable, but known to be hard on juice - I think the 2.8 is supposed to be a bit more frugal than the 3.0 in the older machines and the newer 3.2 can be thirsty, but I do not know about the newer engines.

The L200 Mitsu was known to be thirsty and the gearbox could be problematic, again I do not know about the newer ones.

The Land Cruiser and Hilux are pretty bombproof, but again a bit thirsty.

The Ford Ranger pickup is a hidden gem, my last one gave 36mpg and utterly reliable.

I'm driving a Sorento converted to crew cab (commercial tax) at the moment and it's the most comfortable I've had, while surprisingly reliable (Made enquiries before I bought it, those in the know said they are known for not giving trouble). The Sorento is not as good off-road as the Ranger etc, but it's pretty good all the same. Around 40mpg mixed driving.

For 20k you'll get something pretty new, if fuel consumption is not an issue (it is for me, especially now diesel is pushing 1.30/L) I'd recommend a Land Cruiser, Hilux or Pajero, in that order.

If you can, get something with a diff lock - most jeeps have a LSD (limited slip diff) which is not as good as a diff lock in mud (all 4 wheels can spin at once with a diff lock if needed).

Edit - Watch the road tax! Some jeeps can be over 1k to tax - you might think that's alright at first, but it doesn't be long coming around for another grand, plus the fuel can really eat into your pocket if you're getting less than 30mpg.

You can buy a commercial jeep, but you will need commercial insurance.

My Sorento is 1080 pa road tax for passenger use, but 333pa commercial crew cab; my commercial insurance is about 100 more than normal insurance, so not too bad. This is a tricky area, you will need some connection to a business to run a commercial and if you buy a commercial jeep and insure it with ordinary insurance, you will have to tax it as passenger, too - so be very careful on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭EPointer=Birdss

sniperman wrote: »
    hi all,looking for opinions on a good small 4x4 for hunting/shooting, diesel,got a few permissions that the car just cant cope with,(up very hilly countryside)so thinking of trading up,budget around the 20 grand mark,thanks all

What type of hunting?
    How much space do you need? I.e deer or just dogs etc

If small is what you're after a Pajero Junior is a great Jeep. Might not suit the big engine brigade but;
    4x4
    Can go near anywhere with decent tires
    Cost 1000-1500
    Tax 299
    Insurance few hundred quid
    No commercial BS
    You'd fix & service most of it yourself as needed
    At a budget of 20k you could run it for the next 15-20 years!!

I keep an economical car & one of these.
    Car has never been cleaner & ive never enjoyed a Jeep as much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sniperman

What type of hunting?

If small is what you're after a Pajero Junior is a great Jeep. Might not suit the big engine brigade but;
    4x4
    Cost 1000-1500
    Tax 299
    No commercial BS

hi,type of hunting is foxing up the mountains with rifle,and maybe next deer season with a mate,sick of cleaning the muck off the car.getting stuck on sloppy laneways etc,driving in first gear alot,so decided on trading up,thanks so far lads for oppinions

Running a jeep can be expensive (as I'm sure you've guessed).

You could do worse than a Suzuki Vitara (make sure it's diesel) with good all terrain tyres.

I think I heard complaints about the newest one not being up to scratch with the last model wrt quality, but the old SJ410's were awesome off road back in the day. I remember the '02 model with 2L diesel touching 40mpg driving easy, don't know about the newer ones.

Hard core 4x4's are not as comfortable as a car, Defenders etc will definitely challenge your back if you're using it as a car every day. The Vitara is a bit more like a car that way.

hi,type of hunting is foxing up the mountains with rifle,and maybe next deer season with a mate,sick of cleaning the muck off the car.getting stuck on sloppy laneways etc,driving in first gear alot,so decided on trading up,thanks so far lads for oppinions

I've the back seats dropped & ply on it for the dogs with a ply divider like a van on a hinge. Seat covers & rubber mats.
    Also roof rack for overspill. Have my eye out for a roof cage & will have plenty of space then.
    I use it for rough shooting & pigeons. A lot of gear for pigeons at times but drives everywhere.
    It usually has one wheel in a furrow from a tractor & one on the grass left in the middle it's so tidy. I'm a lot more confident off road than I was in the pick up previously.
    It won't win speed races but at the running costs it's a dream & I get more random comments/ compliments about it than any car I've had which I find gas considering the last one was a 40k jeep vs this yoke for price of a handy gun

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

What about a Suzuki Jimny like the Pajero junior it is small but really good off road. Its only a 1.3 so tax and insurance should be cheap too.
    A Daihatsu Terios would be another that you could look at and they are really good off road too. They are quite a tall narrow looking car do but it does have 5 doors.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I'd also be an advocate of the small 2nd 4x4 idea.

Op if you're over 25 classic insurance is a real possibility for a 2nd vehicle over 20 years old.
    Something like a 1996 or under Suzuki vitara/escudo

Pajero Jr like suggested (different and better than a 1.8 gdi pinion) 1.1 and diff lock+low range

Daihatsu terios 1.3 4x4 (No low box) but serious off road with proper tyres

Daihatsu sportrak (baby fourtrak) 1.6 4x4 & low box

Gen1 rav4 4x4 no low box but light and again great off road with right tyres excellent 2.0 engine but dearer tax.

But a good cheap one of these and you'll have plenty of cash left to upgrade to a nice car as well leaving your new bargain 4x4 to do real work and get mucky.

Classic insurance is generally a few hundred probably less than 3 (Jap imports are best avoided)

Tax will be grand on anything under 1.3 gets pricey when ya go above this.

As long as the vehicle is over 20 years old classic insurance should be doable.

• Advertisement

I'd also be an advocate of the small 2nd 4x4 idea.

Op if you're over 25 classic insurance is a real possibility for a 2nd vehicle over 20 years old.
    Something like a 1996 or under Suzuki vitara/escudo

Pajero Jr like suggested (different and better than a 1.8 gdi pinion) 1.1 and diff lock+low range

Daihatsu terios 1.3 4x4 (No low box) but serious off road with proper tyres

Daihatsu sportrak (baby fourtrak) 1.6 4x4 & low box

Gen1 rav4 4x4 no low box but light and again great off road with right tyres excellent 2.0 engine but dearer tax.

But a good cheap one of these and you'll have plenty of cash left to upgrade to a nice car as well leaving your new bargain 4x4 to do real work and get mucky.

Classic insurance is generally a few hundred probably less than 3 (Jap imports are best avoided)

Tax will be grand on anything under 1.3 gets pricey when ya go above this.

As long as the vehicle is over 20 years old classic insurance should be doable.

Good point on the Jap import. I couldn't get Classic due to that but did shop around & got a crowd that would mirror my NCB on a new policy. (2nd car in this stupid country requires its own policy. Pure BS scam like all insurance matters here IMO - no facility for multi car policies based on the driver not the vehicle)
    Saying that year 1 I got 3rd part for like 470. Year 2 went up to like 700 based on national increases. Still 1000 a year to run. Service it once based on small mileage. As a 2nd car tyres last ages. 30 quid or so fills a tank & get 270-300km
    out of it.
    Like anything though at the age you could get a dud but that's always a gamble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

I use a Jimmy for hunting and its great. Serious off road capabilities cheap to run and service. Iv had me and my mate who is about 18 stone 2 sets of gear including rifles and an 11 pointer red stag in it and not a bother coming off the hill and another day same mate and 3 fallow in the back.
    I can also do the school run in it if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Tommyaya4

Commercial landrover freelander 2ltr BMW engine constant 4x4 brilliant little jeep plenty of room for dogs deer or pigeon gear I have a car for the wife saves a lot of grief

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Crow Pigeon and Pheasant

I use a Jimmy for hunting and its great. Serious off road capabilities cheap to run and service. Iv had me and my mate who is about 18 stone 2 sets of gear including rifles and an 11 pointer red stag in it and not a bother coming off the hill and another day same mate and 3 fallow in the back. I can also do the school run in it if needs be.

Just woundering how's it on fuel and is it 1.3? I would like to get a jeep for my first car bit want something economical would this be a good choice? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

Just woundering how's it on fuel and is it 1.3? I would like to get a jeep for my first car bit want something economical would this be a good choice? Thanks

Haven't a clue on mpg as I fill it when empty. But cheap to run and service. 1.3 engine.
    I have my one 3 years I bought it for €1700 and have no intention of changing it. Go anywhere in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

20k available for a Jeep to go hunting as a hobby, fair play.
    I wouldn't invest a tenth of that if I didn't have a guaranteed return on investment.
    I think you should look into what some of the posters are saying wrt cheaper ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sniperman

20k available for a Jeep to go hunting as a hobby, fair play.
    I wouldn't invest a tenth of that if I didn't have a guaranteed return on investment.
    I think you should look into what some of the posters are saying wrt cheaper ideas.

yep have 20k to invest in my hobby,(or should i say passion)thats the result of not wasting it on fags or beer;),not looking for any returns,also dont want a heap,looking for a good near new one,

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Crow Pigeon and Pheasant

Haven't a clue on mpg as I fill it when empty. But cheap to run and service. 1.3 engine. I have my one 3 years I bought it for €1700 and have no intention of changing it. Go anywhere in it.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

yep have 20k to invest in my hobby,(or should i say passion)thats the result of not wasting it on fags or beer;),not looking for any returns,also dont want a heap,looking for a good near new one,

Have a look at an Amarok, good mpg, 160bhp. An 11reg was 18k last year. So a 13 or maybe a 14 from the UK could meet your budget. Neighbor got one and it's a fine job. Good ground clearance too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭selectamatic

What sort of mileage do you do?

A 4x4 Lexus rx 450h could be an option
    Very luxurious and more reliable and generally cheaper than a Q7, x5, discovery or Range rover on the 2nd hand market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 emk2

I've a 132 Amarok. Silver with rear canopy. I bought it as a demo with 3.5k on it. Full VW service history,Great off road and will easily do 40mpg if you have manners in it. Pm for price.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

If you are anything over 6foot in height,forget the little models.You will not fit in there behind the wheel.:) Im 6'4" and I will not fit into any of those things.Just a point to keep in mind.Any of the true 4x4 s are not going to be fuel misers..They cant be,so its swings& roundabouts.
    Other option,a tad bit out there would be a decent ATV that you can trailer with the car to where it gets bad.Dump the car,saddle up on the ATV and go.You can get it rigged up to be "street legal " as well if you have to use public roads.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

I've a 141 Hilux 3 .0 and absolutely love it ,but she's an absolute sow on diesel ,never bodderd measuring it ,but I reckon about 25mpg ,the new 6 speed /automatic 2.3 dose over 40 ,but are only out since 162 , emmmmm:p .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Anyone tried the skoda 4x4s or herd if there any good,???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭garrettod

ronn wrote: »
    Anyone tried the skoda 4x4s or herd if there any good,???

Do you mean the Yeti ?

... funny enough, only slowed down to take a look at one earlier today.

They seem to have a good reputation, have done well in (now somewhat historic) reviews and generally well priced from what I can see.

The one I was glancing at earlier today seemed to have a reasonably high underbody (or maybe raised suspension or something), but the images I'm looking at onscreen as I type this don't seem quite so high off the ground - but pictures can often be misleading etc.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Yeah the yeti and one of there bigger models comes in 4x4, possibly the Octavia

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Shooter Cotter

Hi lads. I'm in the same boat as sniper man. I don't drink or smoke . But really love the hunting. So when it comes to investing money in my sport why not. I always had Toyota jeeps massive wagons very hard to beat but I recently upgraded to a 14 Fordranger and I must say very in pressed so far. It's a Crewcab open back and plenty of room in the back seats I'm 6ft2 and could go any journey in the back seats slightly more than the Hilux and the boot is ideal for loading deer into it plenty of room or when doing vermin control for farmers on there land hop up into the back of it great height advantage over headges. So go drive them all even the small 4x4s there very cool 2 and they will travel anywhere with the right tyres. And head home have a cup of tea and take your time in choosing 1 if you go ahead with it. All the best and keep on hunting

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

What type of hunting?

4x4
    Cost 1000-1500
    Tax 299
    No commercial BS

Whats it like on juice

blackpearl wrote: »
    Whats it like on juice

30 quid fills the tank
    Local driving lasts ages.
    Open roads like any small engine stresses more but from memory I think it's like 250km to the tank but it's been ages since I've measured.

• Advertisement

30 quid fills the tank
    Local driving lasts ages.
    Open roads like any small engine stresses more but from memory I think it's like 250km to the tank but it's been ages since I've measured.

Those pajero juniors are well-known to be easy on juice if you stick to the smaller engine - I think the 1.8 is hard on juice. so watch out.

Small jeeps are brilliant off-road, they just glide over the muck where a bigger jeep would struggle.

Advertisement