Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4x4 for hunting

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Shooter Cotter

Hi lads. I drive a 3.2 Wildtrak massive jeep only have it a few months. But I think its not 2 bad on fuel. 20 euro for 120 to 130 miles and 65 euro for around 340 but that's steady driving . So what do ye think of that lads. Good bad or awful.?. ��

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Hi lads. I drive a 3.2 Wildtrak massive jeep only have it a few months. But I think its not 2 bad on fuel. 20 euro for 120 to 130 miles and 65 euro for around 340 but that's steady driving . So what do ye think of that lads. Good bad or awful.?. ��

You're getting the same as me, I get a bit over 200km for 20.00.

That's excellent for a big jeep. I had a brand new Ranger Thunder during the boom, it was doing a hair less.

I found the Ranger great off-road (I had 2) and now I have an 06 Sorento which is not as good off-road, but lovely and comfortable (it has lots of toys, including heated seats - great on a cold morning if you have a bad back).

Well ye may wear the Wildtrak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

Nice jeep

Your getting roughly low 30's mpg...great for such a large jeep

That's roughly what the manufacturer's calculations are.

Capture_zpsb7yrwwxz.jpg

http://vans.honestjohn.co.uk/specs/detail/?v=FORRAN0013

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Shooter Cotter

so guys it was up around 32.5 mpg but now it at bang on 30mpg but I'm happy with that.. So driving 4x4's aren't mad money to run.. So thumbs up for ford so far because I was always a Toyota Hilux man . Next job is to get a nice set of tyres. Any idea lads on a make that ye have or no of that's a good chunky tyre..??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

A brand spanking new dacia duster 4wd is €20,690, or 21,890 for the top of the range model. €270 road tax and frugal 1.5 Renault diesel engine. That's a no-brainer for your budget and requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

so guys it was up around 32.5 mpg but now it at bang on 30mpg but I'm happy with that.. So driving 4x4's aren't mad money to run.. So thumbs up for ford so far because I was always a Toyota Hilux man . Next job is to get a nice set of tyres. Any idea lads on a make that ye have or no of that's a good chunky tyre..??

BF goodrich all terrain is the king. Expensive, but really hard-wearing (I only ever had to replace them because the tracking would be out, hard to keep it right when you're going off-road a lot).

Don't get the mud terrain if you spend most of your time on the road, they make a lot of noise, especially above 50mph.

I've got a set of BF goodrich clones from China on mine, nice and chunky, really hard-wearing and really cheap.

Rockstone is the name just had to look out and check) got them for 90 ea. Had to order them in, but not hard to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭sniperman

great info so far lads,thanks alot,

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭keith s

Wondering 7 years later, how you got on sniperman. What did you go with, do you still have it?

Are there any newer 4x4s now that are worth looking at, or any that have now because classic that are worth considering?

Tax is still a killer for the big yokes on private tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭keith s

Brilliant!

Did you keep it standard or do anything with it (tyres, lift springs..)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Any of the 90s Mitsubishi Pajero/Shoguns that aren't complete basket cases or farmerised rust buckets are now starting to become valuable.I put my 95 LWB in hibernation 7 years ago and next year its a vintage ZV plate for her and some chasis restoration work. Next any of the 00/05 Hilux again if not worked to death. Taliban,Al Queida, Iraqui conflict UN humanitarian and Top Gear destructive tested.Absolute tanks that are cheap as chips for spare parts and are easy enough to work on using a rock a hammer and a socket set.Minimum electronics.Ditto for any 95 to 01 Hilux Surf.A Hilux with better seats and carpets. After that the only thing worth mentioning as an off-roader is the Alros Grenadier. Looks somewhat like the old Landrover 110 Safari. But it was designed by off-roaders for off-roaders as a work or expedition vehicle,and a snip at a starting price of 80k here for the crew cab version.The best plan IMO is to find something close to vintage, that isn't totally rotten and spend maybe 6-8 thousand getting it put right on top of its purchase price and still come out with a better by far machine than any of today's offerings, which are stuffed full of utterly unnecessary electronics, sensors and crap that gives you an engine check light for every stupid little thing, and puts you in limp mode out in the middle of nowhere, and still have engines that are more or less still easy to work on without having to disassemble the entire front of the truck to change a serpentine belt or replace the balky sensor buried in the bowels of the engine.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

Don't forget, with Mitsubishi pulling out of the European vehicle market, availability of parts will become more of a problem, in the years to come.

Thanks,

G.

Advertisement