Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda DSG box service cost?

Options
  • 06-01-2017 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have just been quoted €280 for a gearbox oil and filter change on a 2007, 1.9L Diesel, 6 speed DSG Octavia with about 280K

Does that sound about right to anyone? I know the gear oil is expensive.

Not even sure the oil change will fix the problem (intermittent sticking in gears with the rev counter redlining :eek:)

That said, we have owned the car for two years and only just found out that the DSG requires a service every 40K

Any help or advice much appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Hi OSI,

I have a feeling that you are correct on both counts :(

My dilemma now is, if I go ahead with the Oil & Filter change and this does nothing to fix the issue, will the box need to be drained and refilled again if there is mech work to be carried out!!!

Therefore wasting the guts of €300, plus the down time and hassle.

And yes, that was a Main Dealer price. Closest I can find to Rush in North Co. Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Better off booking in for a diagnosis and getting an oil change at the same time, sounds like you need both. Doing it that way they can work the oil change into the repair if possible and you'l save a bit.

Has it got sport mode?
    maybe the car thinks its in sport if it doesnt change till it read lines.

if you drive it in manual does it happen ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Driving in Sport mode does not mean it redlines in each gear. It will only redline if you drive aggressively with your foot to the floor. Is there a software update available for that box?

Driving in Sport mode does not mean it redlines in each gear. It will only redline if you drive aggressively with your foot to the floor.

mine always red lines in s :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭steveshort

VW charge €120 plus vat for 6 liters of oil and a filter , its about 2 hours labour to srevice the box

Thanks all for the replies.

I have it booked in for a diagnostic scan and if that doesn't throw up some kind of monster it will then have it's oil & filter change.

€90 odd for the scan alone :(

Really not sure what else to do, we don't want to throw good money after bad on a 10 year old car.

Has it got sport mode?
    maybe the car thinks its in sport if it doesnt change till it read lines.

if you drive it in manual does it happen ?

It happens in D, haven't tried it in Sport or Manual (wife's car)

When I say it redlines, I mean it just refuses to change up!! Only happens sometimes, mainly after sitting in heavy traffic for a long time. It's generally fine after it cools down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭enumbers

Could it be the clutch pack on its way out

enumbers wrote: »

I honestly have no idea!

• Advertisement

Quick update:

Had it in Annesley yesterday for the diagnostic scan and DSG oil & filter change.

The scan returned no faults, but they advised not to do the oil & filter change as this MAY make things worse!!

I was told that it could be either the Clutch Pack, the Mechatronic Unit, or both, but they couldn't say for sure.

So, €126 poorer for the scan and a hire car for a few hours and I'm none the wiser :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

enumbers wrote: »

It sounds like inability of the mechatronic unit to engage the clutches - in line with service neglect...

I was told that it could be either the Clutch Pack, the Mechatronic Unit, or both, but they couldn't say for sure.

So, €126 poorer for the scan and a hire car for a few hours and I'm none the wiser :confused:

Does it happen on all gears or only on odd or even?

grogi wrote: »
    Does it happen on all gears or only on odd or even?

Seems to only happen in maybe 3rd as far as I know.

Drove it around yesterday evening without any issue!!

For what it's worth, when the problem does happen, I seem to be able to upshift in Tiptronic mode without any issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Casati

I wonder if anybody gets this service done every two years? It would really put you off buying one of these DSG gearboxes as that a heavy service cost - presume you dont need any servicing on a standard torque converter automatic gearbox or do you?

Id say the OP I'd actually try to live with it and just be aware of when it happens you need to shift manually. Stripping down these gearboxes will give a bill equal to the value of the car fairly quickly. Annesley are right not to want to take 280 quid off you when they know it wont really help to fix it

Casati wrote: »
    I wonder if anybody gets this service done every two years? It would really put you off buying one of these DSG gearboxes as that a heavy service cost - presume you dont need any servicing on a standard torque converter automatic gearbox or do you?

Of course you need to. Typically ATF needs to be flushed first after around 60kkm, next flushes every 40kkm.

The car manufacturer will not list it as a service item because the box will with high certainty survive the warranty period - and after it's not really their problem. But the autobox manufacturer (there are only a few of them really and all car makers buy the autoboxes from them - ZF, Aisin-AW, Jatco, Getrax, Luk, Allison to name a few) typically give the service intervals in their materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 5458

It sounds like inability of the mechatronic unit to engage the clutches - in line with service neglect...

I have a similar problem with Skoda Octavia where the Automatic was slipping into neutral and the following day would not engage gears.
    Got it checked at Skoda dealers garage and informed that the Mechatronics unit had failed. Cost € 1400 and Labour extra.
    Even at that could not guarantee that the gearbox is not faulty. €3500 for both if required and labour.
    Last Skoda and mechatronics for me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Hmm, DSg are lovely to drive but this sounds like yeeeoooch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

You could try Autotranz. I've used them a couple of times for my troublesome Audi tiptronic. They're not necessarily cheap, but certainly know their stuff.

www.autotranz.ie

In terms of my Tiptronic, Audi don't recommend a service interval. However, according to Autotranz, ZF recommend a fluid and filter change every 100k.

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    I've done 150k KM plus in 2 hot hatches both with DSG that are frequently driven hard and never had a bother with the DSG. If it's maintained properly it's a pretty reliable box.

Dq250 I bet... Majority of people deal with dq200, which is much worse...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

5458 wrote: »
    I have a similar problem with Skoda Octavia where the Automatic was slipping into neutral and the following day would not engage gears.
    Got it checked at Skoda dealers garage and informed that the Mechatronics unit had failed. Cost € 1400 and Labour extra.
    Even at that could not guarantee that the gearbox is not faulty. €3500 for both if required and labour.
    Last Skoda and mechatronics for me!!

That's not too bad. I know an Audi A6 new gear box is around 9500 fitted from the main dealer and it appears to be pretty common.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

It's not the gearboxes fault if someone doesn't service it. Your engine is similar. Never service it and it will end in tears.

You can't blame any manufacturer for operator incompetence.

As for pricing, I know someone who got a span new box for their S8 in a main dealer here for €4500 with a 5 year warranty. Whoever is quoting €9k is bonkers and is quoting to NOT do it imho.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

galwaytt wrote: »
    It's not the gearboxes fault if someone doesn't service it. Your engine is similar. Never service it and it will end in tears.

You can't blame any manufacturer for operator incompetence.

As for pricing, I know someone who got a span new box for their S8 in a main dealer here for €4500 with a 5 year warranty. Whoever is quoting €9k is bonkers and is quoting to NOT do it imho.
    That's good info on pricing, but you are victim blaming if the reseller VW / Skoda whoever missells or misinforms the end customer.
    Of course you need to. Typically ATF needs to be flushed first after around 60kkm, next flushes every 40kkm.

The car manufacturer will not list it as a service item because the box will with high certainty survive the warranty period - and after it's not really their problem. But the autobox manufacturer (there are only a few of them really and all car makers buy the autoboxes from them - ZF, Aisin-AW, Jatco, Getrax, Luk, Allison to name a few) typically give the service intervals in their materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RootX

It's listed as a service item in Seat's service book btw. And VW's advice is to have it serviced every 40k miles

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/what-we-check-and-why/dsg-transmission-oil-and-filter-change

• Registered Users Posts: 2 5458

Hi Tea Drinker,
    Thanks for the observations. A lot of assumptions. Skoda has since purchased been serviced at reputable Skoda garage and book stamped.
    In my search for a gearbox it is becoming more obvious that this is a fairly common problem with DSG at around 150k.
    The pressurised system contains 1.7 LTS of gear oil which as you correctly stated should be changed at regular intervals. Left that to the experts.
    As for driver incompetence driving for over 40 years and many different vehicles but never had a gearbox or clutch problem before, but then again never had a DSG gearbox either though I have had automatics for over 25 years.
    As for replacement costs it was 3500 and not 9000.
    Still searching

Advertisement