Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pile up on the M3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭chewed

Is this the farmer's fault or the NRA's fault for not maintaining the fencing?

They charge enough in tolls on this road already, so no excuses for not maintaining the road for the safety of the users!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Exactly, The NRA and in particular that quango Motorway servicing who we see often enough on the M3 have responsibility for ensuring the integrity of the M3 is not breached. They obviously were not on the ball and this carnage ensued. Thankfully no one was hurt but it shows how fragile the transport infrastructure is in the country.
    Next week some wintry showers are expected, I hope to use this piece of infrastructure then but will be ultracareful in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Came across a sheep on the road outside Dalgan Park a few weeks ago in thick fog. Only that there was a driver coming the other way who put on hazards I wouldn't have slowed down and would have ploughed into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

I believe they ambled down the ramp rather than having broken through the motorway fencing...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Took 40 minutes to get off it as well...someone a few cars ahead rear ended the person in front of him and they had to exchange details. Have to say it was very dangerous, one second I was doing 130km/h the next I see flashing hazards in the distance and have to brake for my life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Came across a sheep on the road outside Dalgan Park a few weeks ago in thick fog. Only that there was a driver coming the other way who put on hazards I wouldn't have slowed down and would have ploughed into it.

It might not be a sheep next time. A car broke down, or endless other possibilities. You should be going slow enough in fog as to avoid ploughing into any possible obstacles, rather than assume the road is going to be completely clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭EIREDriver

Was listening to this on traffic updates on way to work yesterday. Absolutely lethal. Sounds like a good few cows were killed. They'd do serious damage to a car hurtling towards them at motorway speeds.

EIREDriver wrote: »
    Was listening to this on traffic updates on way to work yesterday. Absolutely lethal. Sounds like a good few cows were killed. They'd do serious damage to a car hurtling towards them at motorway speeds.

I think 8 cattle got onto the motorway. Some had to be euthanized after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Where else would it happen, same area again today

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/diversions-in-place-as-motorway-closes-due-to-collision-35349211.html

one person seriously injured, no further updates

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Cattle sometimes break out of the best fenced lands- gates can be left open etc and amble onto public roads. It just happens sometimes...

• Advertisement

Bruthal wrote: »
    It might not be a sheep next time. A car broke down, or endless other possibilities. You should be going slow enough in fog as to avoid ploughing into any possible obstacles, rather than assume the road is going to be completely clear.

Save me your judgement. :rolleyes:

A sheep is hard to spot in thick fog whether you are going at 1mph or 100. I never mentioned that I was going too fast.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Save me your judgement. :rolleyes:

A sheep is hard to spot in thick fog whether you are going at 1mph or 100. I never mentioned that I was going too fast.
    I doubt you'd "plough" into a sheep at 1mph. Luckily you slowed to a speed at which you could spot it. I bet that was more than 1mph but less than 100.

No judgement. We all drive too fast at times. But clearly if you plough into something on the road in thick fog, you were going too fast for conditions.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

one second I was doing 130km/h the next I see flashing hazards in the distance and have to brake for my life.

You shouldn't have been speeding......the limit is 120kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

wasn't there a dude on a motor bike killed last year when he hit a cow on a m3 slip road ? or was he just injured ...no overly sure

Vego wrote: »
    wasn't there a dude on a motor bike killed last year when he hit a cow on a m3 slip road ? or was he just injured ...no overly sure

Yes. This was on the old Athboy road.

Advertisement