Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alternatives to mainstream Fm stations

• 06-01-2017 4:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭

So with the apparent demise of the morning talk/music slot on national airwaves what are the alternatives.
    I work outside so just had a small 3xAA battery radio which I generally left on today fm for the day (would have also been 2fm before G.Ryan passed). Listen to Radio Nova a bit too but depends on my location.

So what are the alternatives now?
    Can you get portable internet/dab radios, and if so what sort of data usage do they use as I won't be wifi?

Should say that I'm living in Co.Wicklow so can sometimes get some of the Dublin stations but reception isn't great.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Podcasts.
    you can podcast anything really. Why limit listening to Irish shows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭prunudo

snubbleste wrote: »
    Podcasts.
    you can podcast anything really. Why limit listening to Irish shows?

Pardon my ignorance but can you pick them up via internet radio or would you have to download them first on the phone and listen back or can you listen on the go?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

jvan wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance but can you pick them up via internet radio or would you have to download them first on the phone and listen back or can you listen on the go?
    You download and listen.
    It's not live, as it were.
    You can download audiobooks, music, news shows...
    You can also download and put them on an mp3 player

Ah right, sounds like lot of faffing around. Don't know if it would be a long term solution.

How much data would an Internet radio use if you to listen to the likes of the bbc stations or other stations on tune in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,069 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

jvan wrote: »
    Ah right, sounds like lot of faffing around. Don't know if it would be a long term solution.

How much data would an Internet radio use if you to listen to the likes of the bbc stations or other stations on tune in.

Ignore the typo near the end, where Gb/h means Mb/h.
    http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2013/08/how-much-of-your-broadband-allowance-does-internet-radio-consume.html
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement

Dan Jaman wrote: »

Thanks for the link. Can't believe how much of your data allowance you would use.

Advertisement