Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity supplier

Options
  • 06-01-2017 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭

Looking for some information.

Moved into a new place. There's a prepay power meter. I transferred my bord gais account from my previous property. Got in contact with prepay power, they couldn't deactivate the meter until it came up on their system that I was changing. Waited a couple weeks. Call ppp again, now I can't get the code without the landlord's confirmation. Fine, I email them and I get this...

The pre power meter can’t be removed until July’18. There is a contract in place until then, my apologies I tried my best, I wasn’t aware of the contract but I have since looked into on both ends as to not take their word for it & there is infact one in place. You can have it removed in the summer of next year.

I've replied:

But I've already set up with bord gais. I'm not in a contract with prepay power and as a tenant I'm free to choose my own supplier. I'm definitely not staying on an expensive meter for another 18 months. I'm sure the contract can be cancelled.

Am I right or wrong? What else can I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Contract with PP isnt anything to do with you. Same way as if the previous tenant signed up to a broadband supplier and didnt pay the bill thats that tenants issue not yours. Should only cause you a delay in having their account closed out of your MPRN so you can elect your own supplier.

If the landlord themselves' name is on the prepay account then thats harder to argue. Id be asking him to agree in writing to take the difference in unit rates out of the rent and see if he's amicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

ED E wrote: »
    Contract with PP isnt anything to do with you. Same way as if the previous tenant signed up to a broadband supplier and didnt pay the bill thats that tenants issue not yours. Should only cause you a delay in having their account closed out of your MPRN so you can elect your own supplier.

If the landlord themselves' name is on the prepay account then thats harder to argue. Id be asking him to agree in writing to take the difference in unit rates out of the rent and see if he's amicable.

It is indeed in the landlord's name, well, sort of. It's in the name of the holding company who own the property. My landlord is the county council. I'm dealing with the agent for the holding company.

Advertisement