Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best mobile network deal

Options
  • 06-01-2017 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

First off, apologies if this is the wrong place to post this but im wondering what networks have any good deals atm.

I currently am with Vodafone and have a pay-as-you-go phone (Vodafone Smart Ultra 6).

Now I top up by €20 a month and it is immediately taken out of my balance so I can get free calls and texts to any network for the month along with 1GB of free mobile data.

Now I was wondering would I be better off going for a bill-pay deal as I need a new phone but I'm unsure of it as Ive always been pay-as-you-go.

Can I get more data? Can I get a top of the range phone for cheaper? etc etc

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Do you need unlimited calls and texts?

Depends on what phone you want to go billpay or sim free. Plenty of good 30days or payg plans at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Mr Arrior wrote: »
    First off, apologies if this is the wrong place to post this but im wondering what networks have any good deals atm.

I currently am with Vodafone and have a pay-as-you-go phone (Vodafone Smart Ultra 6).

Now I top up by €20 a month and it is immediately taken out of my balance so I can get free calls and texts to any network for the month along with 1GB of free mobile data.

Now I was wondering would I be better off going for a bill-pay deal as I need a new phone but I'm unsure of it as Ive always been pay-as-you-go.

Can I get more data? Can I get a top of the range phone for cheaper? etc etc

Any advice would be much appreciated.

vodafone doing good deal sim free right now..

http://www.vodafone.ie/sim-only-plans//?icmp=HP-Car-Pos3-SIM-Only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Mr Arrior

Davy wrote: »
    Do you need unlimited calls and texts?

Depends on what phone you want to go billpay or sim free. Plenty of good 30days or payg plans at the moment.

Tbh, I prob don't need unlimited calls or texts.

I would like a good quality phone for a change (Samsung G7 or Iphone 7 etc) but there are very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I'm very happy paying Three €20 a month and buying my phones outright. Bought my current phone on Amazon.

For that €20, I get unlimited 4G data, free texts, free calls to Three customers at all times and free calls to other mobile networks at the weekend.

That €20 is also yours to keep. You can buy apps/movies/music in play store and pay for parking with it too. I'm still trying to find what else I can spend it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Mr Arrior

What exactly is sim free? What's it in relation to a pay as you go phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Wheety wrote: »
    I'm very happy paying Three €20 a month and buying my phones outright. Bought my current phone on Amazon.

For that €20, I get unlimited 4G data, free texts, free calls to Three customers at all times and free calls to other mobile networks at the weekend.

That €20 is also yours to keep. You can buy apps/movies/music in play store and pay for parking with it too. I'm still trying to find what else I can spend it on.

You also get very poor signal generally with 3.

Stick with vodafone or meteor for your own sanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭kala85

Wheety wrote: »

Is that prepay or sim only.

What is the name of the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Just bear in mind that when you opt for Billpay you enter into a legally binding contract for a minimum period (usually two years) with the network provider and it can be very difficult and expensive to end the arrangement early if you decide you're not happy with the service. Prepay is by far the most sensible option, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

You also get very poor signal generally with 3.

Stick with vodafone or meteor for your own sanity.
    I've never had a problem with signal. I am living in Dublin so it may be different outside Dublin?
    kala85 wrote: »
    Is that prepay or sim only.

What is the name of the plan.

It's just their prepay. If you do go with that option, make sure you set a reminder for 30 days after you top up by €20. It's very annoying to receive loads of texts at the same time saying you have spent €xx on Internet in incrementing amounts. I remember it going up over forty Euro once :mad:

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

flexcon wrote: »
    vodafone doing good deal sim free right now..

http://www.vodafone.ie/sim-only-plans//?icmp=HP-Car-Pos3-SIM-Only

Meteor's offering is better in my opinion as its only a 30 day rolling contract, unless you plan on doing loads of travelling, then the Vodafone offer would be better.

https://store.meteor.ie/sim-only-plans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

OP, the up front cost of a phone on Bill pay decreases the more you pay each month.

You won't get a current (or recent) top of the range phone for anything less than 40 a month on a 2 year contract.

We're upgrading a phone currently and are looking at the Galaxy S7 or IPhone 6S. For these you'd be paying roughly 50 to 100 up front on the plans we're looking at (unlimited calls and texts a must for us).

As people have said, a SIM only deal and buying a SIM free handset online may be the cheapest option.

For the handset I'd recommend Amazon or clove.co.uk for mid range phones. Or there's apparently great value to be had ordering Chinese phones with much higher specs for much cheaper than we pay for our phones here.

Advertisement