Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lisbon to faro to huelva

Options
  • 06-01-2017 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, I am considering a road trip from Lisbon to huelva in Spain. Is there anyone who has done even part of this route or cycled Portugal that could advise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I have done Huelva to Faro getting the ferry across at Ayamonte. It was the end of our trip from Alicante to Faro. You will probably be on the N125 which isint a great road. I was there in 2015 and the surface was poor and it can be busy with not great hard shoulders. That was in October. We were flying home from Faro so had no choice but to use it

I have cycled a fair bit in Portugal and Spain and the roads are generally far superior in Spain. You can often have a pretty empty N road if it follows the same general direction as a motorway. Portugal does not have as many motorways so trunk roads can be busy. I havent cycled west of Faro but I would imagine the Algarve roads could be busy especially in tourist season.

I presume you would hug the coast but cross country would be nice and definitely quieter. I think the motorway south is tolled so you will get a lot of traffic on the parallel road IC1 if you went that way.

Having said all that the vast majority of Portugal is a pleasure to cycle in and the countryside can be lovely, people are friendly and its very cheap.

Be prepared to use lots of sign language as there is zero English away from the tourist areas, even in the city.

good luck and let us know how you get on.

edit: If you need to end up in Huelva for some reason then I would fly to Malaga and go that way. You have many more options. Along the coast, mountains towards Ronda, up towards Seville ect.

Advertisement