Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stay away from Toyota Corolla d4d diesel

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

What's with mentioning the avensis, I said auris
    pablo128 wrote: »
    An i40 is a class above though, isn't it? An i30 would be the same class as the Auris.

Compare a brand new Avensis to the i40 and see how you get on.

There's the full post I made above. That should clear things up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

pablo128 wrote:
    There's the full post I made above. That should clear things up.

But I'm looking for a car like an Auris van or something not an avensis.

Thanks for getting back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Thanks for getting back

And an i40 isn't it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Thanks for getting back

Then test drive an i30 which is in the same class.

What's the big deal guy's ?

I'm entitled to my Free Will, not your will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Read the charter, you'll buy whatever wins the vote.

;)

What's the big deal guy's ?

I'm entitled to my Free Will, not your will.

You are but saying a car from a class above is better than a car from the class below is not a fair comparison.

The i40 is in the d segment and should be compared to cars in that class such as the avensis, mondeo etc

An auris is in the c segment and should be compared to to similar cars such as the i30, golf, focus etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Augeo wrote:
    A corolla & avensis are now IMO cheap ole sh1t not priced accordingly.

Augeo wrote:
    My point was what you have explained..you say the competitors are cheaper, more stylish, arguably better driving .....hardly more reliable.

Augeo wrote:
    Not as stylish, doesn't drive as well, shorter warranty...... sh1t compared to the comp.

Augeo wrote:
    A new tipo is a great car compared to the current corolla

The broader issue, as raised in the OP's original post, is whether Toyota's mechanical and structural integrity can be called into question. I don't think so. Just how many Avensis with cracked door frames or Auris with weak gearboxes are there out there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    The Corolla is worth the extra money. The fiat is very poor quality inside and that's not just the texture of the materials, the swithgear ia very flimsy and the gearchange isn't very good.

Im not saying the corolla is better than everything else like you seem to think I am. Most cars in this class is better than the tipo tbh. The corolla isn't nearly as bad as you say though in your childish rants.

Corolla is not worth €4k more than an equivalent Tipo. Been in the new Tipo quite a bit and they are very impressive for what they are. Great seats and driving position, and the spec is quite good.

Is it ''very poor quality''? I certainly don't think so, but then again you believe Toyota is the epitome of quality so that says it all really. I could never take your opinions seriously.

Which Tipo did you drive? I'd be willing to bet you have never even sat in one, let alone driven one....;)

Lol anyhow I wouldn't buy a d4d Corolla again.

• Advertisement

I get ye now.

chicorytip wrote:
    The broader issue, as raised in the OP's original post, is whether Toyota's mechanical and structural integrity can be called into question. I don't think so. Just how many Avensis with cracked door frames or Auris with weak gearboxes are there out there?

Loads call up any car scrap yard dealers and say, hello, he'll say how ya

Then say have you any scrapped d4d Corolla gearboxes, he'll say ahhh Shure those aul gearboxes are soft aul things...

Loads call up any car scrap yard dealers and say, hello, he'll say how ya

Then say have you any scrapped d4d Corolla gearboxes, he'll say ahhh Shure those aul gearboxes are soft aul things...

The scrapyard is the wrong option for one of these boxes. It's a false economy. The best option is to fit new bearings and avoid anymore issues in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

166man wrote: »
    Corolla is not worth €4k more than an equivalent Tipo. Been in the new Tipo quite a bit and they are very impressive for what they are. Great seats and driving position, and the spec is quite good.

Is it ''very poor quality''? I certainly don't think so, but then again you believe Toyota is the epitome of quality so that says it all really. I could never take your opinions seriously.

Which Tipo did you drive? I'd be willing to bet you have never even sat in one, let alone driven one....;)

What about predicted depreciation?
    It's usually been the main downside of fiat ownership.

JohnBoy26 wrote:
    The scrapyard is the wrong option for one of these boxes. It's a false economy. The best option is to fit new bearings and avoid anymore issues in the future.

I know what you mean, but a lot of people know the problem with the d4d Corolla gearboxes.

Bearings won't last forever.

I know what you mean, but a lot of people know the problem with the d4d Corolla gearboxes.

Bearings won't last forever.

Which is why you should put new ones in. That is the main issue with these boxes, one bearing goes in them, usually at high mileage. It's an issue with the bearing rather than the box itself. It's an issue but it's not as common as you'd think though. Once the bearing is replaced it should last years, even the lifetime of the car.

I had the bearings replaced on mine 8 years ago and the car is still going strong today with over 100k miles put up on it since.

Bearing failure is also not confined to toyota. It's an issue that effects many cars, especially from the early 00's on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

What about predicted depreciation?
    It's usually been the main downside of fiat ownership.

That's linked more to past market perception rather than current realities. If that's your main benchmark for picking a car, you'll have a very miserable motoring life.

road_high wrote: »
    That's linked more to past market perception rather than current realities. If that's your main benchmark for picking a car, you'll have a very miserable motoring life.

It's an important factor if you like changing your cars often. Fiats depreciate like stone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

If that's your main benchmark for picking a car, you'll have a very miserable motoring life.

Ah it may not be your main priority when car shopping but losing your bollocks on a car is never nice and probably one of he average consumers biggest bug bears.

If I did have to lose my shirt on a car I'd want it to be something a he'll of a lot nicer than a Tipo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

The reality is all car have faults. They are mass produced with tight margins and no one is as ruthless as Toyota when it comes to mean-ness in manufacture. They generally have less sound absorption fitted, less protective covers on wiring and will use parts common for years on numerous models even when they look out of place. Toyota makes more profit on each unit than most manufacturers for a reason. There was a time the were they were better than the rest but that isn't really the case for a while. Having said all that I still like them and they are good cars and you cannot really condemn a car or company in one foul sweep. The thread itself seems to have gone into a fiat vs Toyota debate. If I was purchasing i would be fine with a Toyota every time, if someone else paying it could be a fiat (I like the look of new Tipo). I think that Toyota will improve its next generation of cars and SUV's in both quality and badly needed styling

Needles73 wrote: »
    and will use parts common for years on numerous models even when they look out of place.

Can you elaborate on this bit?

I don't think it's as prolific now but in the 90s and 00s component sharing was phenomenal with Toyota.

I don't think it's as prolific now but in the 90s and 00s component sharing was phenomenal with Toyota.

Of course. Same as VW. I'm trying to think of examples where they looked out of place

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Of course. Same as VW. I'm trying to think of examples where they looked out of place

In fairness, yeah, they always integrated fairly well.

Needles73 wrote: »
    The reality is all car have faults. They are mass produced with tight margins and no one is as ruthless as Toyota when it comes to mean-ness in manufacture. They generally have less sound absorption fitted, less protective covers on wiring and will use parts common for years on numerous models even when they look out of place. Toyota makes more profit on each unit than most manufacturers for a reason. There was a time the were they were better than the rest but that isn't really the case for a while. Having said all that I still like them and they are good cars and you cannot really condemn a car or company in one foul sweep. The thread itself seems to have gone into a fiat vs Toyota debate. If I was purchasing i would be fine with a Toyota every time, if someone else paying it could be a fiat (I like the look of new Tipo). I think that Toyota will improve its next generation of cars and SUV's in both quality and badly needed styling

?

• Advertisement

You'd never tell that this is half dyna half old hiace like
    IMG_0022.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

It's an important factor if you like changing your cars often. Fiats depreciate like stone.

Fiat offer pretty strong GMFV on the Tipo.

Also you must be forgetting the massive €4000 extra to buy the Toyota in the first place. I would imagine that the difference in value after 3 years would be substantially reduced with that €4000 taken into account.

Pretty sure Fiat offer a 5 YEAR WARRANTY also where Toyota is only 3 years.... Why is that? :)

The aim is to have equity above the GMFV though. Do you know what GMFV they are offering?

Worth noting that Toyota do a 5 year warranty in the uk but Toyota Ireland dont give it here.
    You see the opposite of it with Mitsubishi who are so desperate to sell something in Ireland that they extended the warranty to 8 years.

166man wrote: »
    Fiat offer pretty strong GMFV on the Tipo.

Pretty sure Fiat offer a 5 YEAR WARRANTY also where Toyota is only 3 years.... Why is that? :)

Fiat offer a larger warranty to try and instill confidence in their product as historically they have a perception of being a bit flakey. Toyota don't need to do so as they have a rep, rightlying or wrongly, for strong reliability.

Neither Toyota nor Fiat think their car will pack in in year 4.

Fiat offer a larger warranty to try and instill confidence in their product as historically they have a perception of being a bit flakey. Toyota don't need to do so as they have a rep, rightlying or wrongly, for strong reliability.

Neither Toyota nor Fiat think their car will pack in in year 4.

You'd imagine if they were as reliable as they've always been telling us, offering another two years would just be an incidental bonus.

• Advertisement

You'd imagine if they were as reliable as they've always been telling us, offering another two years would just be an incidental bonus.

It has nothing to do with reliability. It's to do with sales. Toyota doesn't need to use big warranties as a marketing tool here, unlike other brands that are desperate for market share.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

JohnBoy26 wrote:
    That's because she got the base spec terra model. A luna model has all of those features

Augeo wrote:
    He specifically said for the money she paid for it, you didn't bold that piece.

She bought the Corolla when it was a year old. For about 1500 more she was offered a new Octavia with all the missing bits plus a few nice extras like auto stop start. It was just being her budget, but like I said I was dismayed when she arrived back with this, it's almost as if Toyota wants to disrespect Paddy by saying you'll take the crappiest specification we can do because you don't know any better.

Why, when they don't have to?

She bought the Corolla when it was a year old. For about 1500 more she was offered a new Octavia with all the missing bits plus a few nice extras like auto stop start. It was just being her budget, but like I said I was dismayed when she arrived back with this, it's almost as if Toyota wants to disrespect Paddy by saying you'll take the crappiest specification we can do because you don't know any better.
    Almost every car manufacturer is guilty of that. Octavias are available with hubcaps too you know.

It has nothing to do with reliability. It's to do with sales. Toyota doesn't need to use big warranties as a marketing tool here, unlike other brands that are desperate for market share.

If anything that shows the arrogance Toyota IE have towards their customers really.
    As well as pitiful spec, very average cars, they know their customers will accept worse warranties to boot.

If anything that shows the arrogance Toyota IE have towards their customers really.
    As well as pitiful spec, very average cars, they know their customers will accept worse warranties to boot.

Most people don't buy cars on spec or how exciting a car is to drive which is probably based on some motoring journo ragging it around a track anyway.

Most people want a car that is easy to live with and is very reliable. Toyota deliver on this. That's why they are so popular.

Spec is fine on anything above the base model btw

It's far from the worst warranty out there though. A lot of premium brands offer only the mandatory 2 years.

JohnBoy26 wrote:
    Most people want a car that is easy to live with and is very reliable. Toyota deliver on this. That's why they are so popular.

Popular for scrapping and for guys who's living depends on reconditioning gearboxes and alternator's.

There aren't many cars you can put 400k on without needing something to be fair.

Popular for scrapping and for guys who's living depends on reconditioning gearboxes and alternator's.

Alternators in general give very little problems on toyotas. Your toyota had 389k up on it, that's 241k miles, do you honestly think nothing is going to wear out at that mileage?

• Advertisement

Alternators in general give very little problems on toyotas. Your toyota had 389k up on it, that's 241k miles, do you honestly think nothing is going to wear out at that mileage?

Do Toyota make alternators, diode packs etc? Are they not outsourced like gearbox bearings?

Ah it may not be your main priority when car shopping but losing your bollocks on a car is never nice and probably one of he average consumers biggest bug bears.

If I did have to lose my shirt on a car I'd want it to be something a he'll of a lot nicer than a Tipo.

Did you not buy a golf recently?
    How do him think that'll compare to a 17k tipo over 3 or 5 years depreciation wise?

I'd like to see what your estimated figures are TBH :)

Augeo wrote: »
    Do Toyota make alternators, diode packs etc? Are they not outsourced like gearbox bearings?

Denso usually make them for toyotas but other manufacturers do, or have done in the past as well.

I think Mrs TFB got a good deal on her Golf.
    I'd love to know what GMFV Fiat are doing on the Tipo. genuinely. There's a white estate in Clareview quite like the look of.

JohnBoy26 wrote:

3 alternator's, third time the gearbox needed opening up.

3 alternator's, third time the gearbox needed opening up.

Were the new genuine alternators? What went wrong with them?

JohnBoy26 wrote:
    Were the new genuine alternators? What went wrong with them?

Just driving along the road and the lights started blinking and the steering wheel started to stiffen up.

So i pulled in waited a few minutes started her up drove to a garage in Ennis and they got me a reconditioned one.

Something similar happened to the second one.

OK it'ss still doing 55 miles per gallon and it's not the worse car I've had.

But it's about time I changed her.

She looks well and serves it's purpose.

The Gear box on my model was very soft and it's not uncommon for them to go at about 150,000 k

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I think Mrs TFB got a good deal on her Golf.
    I'd love to know what GMFV Fiat are doing on the Tipo. genuinely. There's a white estate in Clareview quite like the look of.

On the €18k ones gfmv is €6838..... under 40%.
    Almost €2K in finance cost though, not great pcp deal IMO.
    Grand for money in bank buyers though.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    Did you not buy a golf recently?
    How do him think that'll compare to a 17k tipo over 3 or 5 years depreciation wise?

I'd like to see what your estimated figures are TBH :)

The GMFV of the Golf is €9k. Which is good, I thought.

€9k deposit in the form of the Astra (and €1.5k cash back as it was worth more than the max deposit), €9k over 3 years at "0%" and 9 at end. I'm using round numbers there, it works out, all in around 28k and some odd.

I think a low GMFV means that the likelyhood of buying the car outright at the end is quite high, which is good news for us.

Another upshot is I dont think you'd get next nor near a 141 highline diesel Golf at the moment for €9k, I know a lot can happen over the next 3 years so it'd be foolish to speculate too much but that does suggest that we will end the 3 years with a decent amount of positive equity.

In fact, wouldn't too high a GMFV just be bad for the customer?

Advertisement