Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HAP SCHEME

Options
  • 06-01-2017 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi just a few questions in relation to the new HAP scheme that's come in, we found out recently that we are entitled to this payment to help us with our rent as our income is so low but I've been reading a few threads on here and it seems like a lot of landlords are totally against it, is this really the case? Is it a total nightmare trying to find a landlord to accept it? I totally get that there is still a stigma attached to anyone on any kind of social benefit or aid but both me and my partner are very hard working people who genuinely just want somewhere decent to live and we have always looked after any property we rented, we have enough money saved for a month up front and a deposit, how long does it take for the HAP to go through?? We met with a local councillor and he said it was the best thing ever and said it shouldn't be a problem finding somewhere but I'm starting to think by some of the threads I've been reading that that's not the case?! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

Legally, a landlord cannot discriminate against a tenant on the basis they are in receipt of HAP or another social welfare payment. However, from a landlord point of view, the scheme does not have a bad reputation (above average maintenance costs, more anti-social behaviour - that kind of thing). I have no idea if the reputation is justified, but it does exist. In high rent demand areas, there is competition from people in employment that can pay higher deposits etc. and that reduces availability. It is a good scheme, but I've heard of lots of people who find it had to find a home with it.

Good luck !!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

<mod snip>

This was through a agent by the way and they are I think more likely to have houses on their books that accept HAP etc,

All you can do is try. Please do not lose heart at this stage.

Try an agent if daft .ei brings no luck. Thy can no longer advertise no social lwelfare but some now ask for professional or working tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

As a landlord, my husband recently declined HAP tenants due to the extra paperwork involved. Paperwork = delays = period of no rental income.
    Also, the introduction of a third party (the local authority) into the mix, without them having a direct contract with the landlord put us off. We didn't see any benefit for us going with a HAP tenant.
    Best of luck in your search

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 emmya23

Thanks everyone for the replies :)

We would be working through offaly County council and so far anyone who I've called either doesn't really understand what it is or has said they'll get back to me and never do which is why I started reading up about it here.... Only man who was willing to accept was one renting a 6 bed property for 1000 but there is only me my partner and son so I would imagine they wouldn't even entertain this as the property would be too big for us, no?? Also if say the rent limit in said area is 550 could I rent somewhere for 800 and pay the remainder myself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

emmya23 wrote: »
    Also if say the rent limit in said area is 550 could I rent somewhere for 800 and pay the remainder myself?

No. Top ups are not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

sullivk wrote:
    As a landlord, my husband recently declined HAP tenants due to the extra paperwork involved. Paperwork = delays = period of no rental income. Also, the introduction of a third party (the local authority) into the mix, without them having a direct contract with the landlord put us off. We didn't see any benefit for us going with a HAP tenant. Best of luck in your search

Agree with this and know someone who rejected someone for the same reasons. Potential tenant was a lovely guy and ticked all the boxes in terms of what you'd want in a tenant but the amount of red tape / delays / paperwork and potential hassle dealing with a third party made him go with a tenant who may not have looked as good on paper but whose rent was ( more) guaranteed and if not, at least you only had one person to go through to get it.

emmya23 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the replies :)

We would be working through offaly County council and so far anyone who I've called either doesn't really understand what it is or has said they'll get back to me and never do which is why I started reading up about it here.... Only man who was willing to accept was one renting a 6 bed property for 1000 but there is only me my partner and son so I would imagine they wouldn't even entertain this as the property would be too big for us, no?? Also if say the rent limit in said area is 550 could I rent somewhere for 800 and pay the remainder myself?

Worth having a word with Threshold and or Citizens info

Agree with this and know someone who rejected someone for the same reasons. Potential tenant was a lovely guy and ticked all the boxes in terms of what you'd want in a tenant but the amount of red tape / delays / paperwork and potential hassle dealing with a third party made him go with a tenant who may not have looked as good on paper but whose rent was ( more) guaranteed and if not, at least you only had one person to go through to get it.

a pity. I have been living here on Rent Allowance nearly five years and once the initial paperwork was done, no delays or problems . I have to do the same with the new house but that is fine too, Just a form to fill in is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭karenalot

No. Top ups are not allowed.

Tops are allowed on HAP. They weren't on Rent Supplement which is slowly being phased out.

OP I gave recently accepted a working family on HAP through Kildare Co Council and would do so again as the paperwork was minimum. There should be no stigma attached for people that are working but simply can't afford high rents and need assistance. Rent Supplement was different as it didn't allow the recipients to work full time. This meant it had a lot of unemployed or part time workers on it who would be hard to recoup money from if they missed payments etc.

I would suggest you get in touch with Offaly Co Council and get all the facts from them. Find out exactly what forms the landlord will need to fill out and read them and find out how long it will take from accepting a property to the landlord receiving the first payment into their bank account (mine arrives on the last Wed of each month).

Basically the more you know about HAP and the more you can sell yourself to a potential landlord the more you will put them at ease. Explain to them you are working, you have the deposit and first months rent and that by the time the second month comes they will have been paid by the Council (ensure this is true of course).

A benefit to sell to Landlords (with mortgages) is that they can claim 100% tax relief if they rent to a social tenant for 3 years. Its 80% for a non social tenant. For me personally it will mean savings of a few thousand euros from my tax bill in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 emmya23

karenalot wrote: »
    Tops are allowed on HAP. They weren't on Rent Supplement which is slowly being phased out.

OP I gave recently accepted a working family on HAP through Kildare Co Council and would do so again as the paperwork was minimum. There should be no stigma attached for people that are working but simply can't afford high rents and need assistance. Rent Supplement was different as it didn't allow the recipients to work full time. This meant it had a lot of unemployed or part time workers on it who would be hard to recoup money from if they missed payments etc.

I would suggest you get in touch with Offaly Co Council and get all the facts from them. Find out exactly what forms the landlord will need to fill out and read them and find out how long it will take from accepting a property to the landlord receiving the first payment into their bank account (mine arrives on the last Wed of each month).

Basically the more you know about HAP and the more you can sell yourself to a potential landlord the more you will put them at ease. Explain to them you are working, you have the deposit and first months rent and that by the time the second month comes they will have been paid by the Council (ensure this is true of course).

A benefit to sell to Landlords (with mortgages) is that they can claim 100% tax relief if they rent to a social tenant for 3 years. Its 80% for a non social tenant. For me personally it will mean savings of a few thousand euros from my tax bill in the future.

Yes that's my plan, I know a good bit about it now and I totally agree with you, I'm pretty sure once I meet with the landlords and they see that I'm genuinely just looking for a home for me and my family long term and we will look after their property for as long as we are there, they shouldn't have a problem.... I guess my biggest worry was the whole waiting for the payment to go through from the council cos I know that could probably be a downside on the landlords part, but if they only have to wait a few weeks rather than months that's not so bad.
    Thanks for your help :)

Advertisement