Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Think chicken: Think intelligent, caring and complex

• 06-01-2017 10:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭

Thought this forum most suited for this;

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/01/170103091955.htm
    Chickens are not as clueless or 'bird-brained' as people believe them to be. They have distinct personalities and can outmaneuver one another. They know their place in the pecking order, and can reason by deduction, which is an ability that humans develop by the age of seven. Chicken intelligence is therefore unnecessarily underestimated and overshadowed by other avian groups.

Mother has three hens, and I agree with some of what I've read in teh article, and what I've seen the hens do.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

I think most small flock/back garden hen keepers have known this all along. My hens have distinct personalities and are clever and sometimes devious little things.

One of mine will hear the front door open from 100 yards away, and if she doesn't hear it close she will sneak in and hide under the bed as she knows she will be evicted otherwise!

TT

Advertisement