Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone SE

Options
  • 06-01-2017 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

Hi, I bought an iPhone SE and am having a tough time getting it set up.
    I backed up my old phone yesterday using iTunes but when I connected my new phone - it is not being recognised by the computer (which is Vista). I downloaded the latest version and the problem remains - I now get an error message that a more recent version is required. I googled my problem and see that Apple does not provide software for SE.

I then tried to 'Restore using iCloud' - I enter my username and password and I get the message that there are 'No backups available'.

I was tempted to set up as a new iPhone but I then wouldn't have my contacts etc.

Has anyone a solution for me? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Do you have iCloud turned on on your old iPhone?

If not, switch it on. Let it do a back up and then install that backup on your SE.

It''s normally a painless and easy process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

murpho999 wrote: »
    Do you have iCloud turned on on your old iPhone?

If not, switch it on. Let it do a back up and then install that backup on your SE.

It''s normally a painless and easy process.

That's what is annoying me but nothing comes easy or painlessly to me :(

When I go to settings and iCloud - it says verifying and when it finishes it says Account Not Verified - it says to check your email for instructions to verify this account - I don't remember getting any emails before. I should also say that I had not used iCloud before so that may be a problem as well. As a result of the above - everything is disabled in the iCloud folder.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

OK so you need to have tiur iCloud account verified as you do not have it set up.

Follow the process on this link and then it should be fine.

murpho999 wrote: »
    OK so you need to have tiur iCloud account verified as you do not have it set up.

Follow the process on this link and then it should be fine.

Thanks for that. I followed link and tried to set it up and got a message from Apple to say that I couldn't set it up because there were significant changes made to my account and it would take three days to set up the two step verification.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Better to use two-factor authentication rather than two-step. It’s newer and easier to use. But maybe don’t enable either until you have the account working.

Sounds like you never verified the account via email.

• Advertisement

Hello again - I think I have identified the problem but need some help again. Obviously when I purchased the phone initially - I used an email address that is now closed - I have tried logging into it but I get error message that account doesn't exist - the provider probably closed it down as I had not used it with years. This is the reason why I have not received my verification email and the reason why iCloud is not working. Is there a way that I can change the email address to my current one and hopefully get iCloud working and transfer my data/apps to new iPhone? Thanks again for the replies and future ones :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Probably not, and since you never verified the account there’s not much point trying to recover it, just create a new account with a new email.

Probably not, and since you never verified the account there’s not much point trying to recover it, just create a new account with a new email.

I contacted Apple and my other account is verified and is backing up now so hopefully everything will port over now. Thanks for your help.

Advertisement