Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rebarreling a CZ527 .17 hornet

Options
  • 07-01-2017 8:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭

Friend of mine was thinking of getting his CZ527 rebarreled and was wondering what are his options calibre wise, than require the least amount of work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Whatever calibre your friend was considering, rebarrelling any rifle is the same amount of work, depending on how the barrel is located in the action.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

Thanks for that tac
    Can anyone give the approx price to rebarrel to a .223

As we have seen here many times before, re-barrelling a small-action CZ - worth maybe eu500, to another calibre at a cost of maybe eu500 is not necessarily the best way of spending your Christmas money.

Others, I'm sure, will join in here with better advice, no doubt.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Not too familiar with that model rifle, but can the bolt face be opened out to take the .223 head diameter ? Also can the extractor be modified or changed from the rimmed type to the rimless type ?

As has been said, it might leave you with a bill substancially more than the rifle is worth.

Hmmm -

.17 Hornet rim diameter = .350"
    .17 Hornet case diameter = .299"

.223 Rem rim diameter = .378"
    .223 Rem case diameter = .376"

New bolt, maybe?

My advice, your pal should trade it in for the gun he wants.

tac

• Advertisement

tac foley wrote: »
    Hmmm -

.17 Hornet rim diameter = .350"
    .17 Hornet case diameter = .299"

.223 Rem rim diameter = .378"
    .223 Rem case diameter = .376"

New bolt, maybe?

My advice, your pal should trade it in for the gun he wants.

tac

I'll pass on the info. At least I got an approx price for him. Anything I looked up never mentioned a price.

At €500 the idea is dead in the water. As for trading in the hornet I can't imagine there'd be any interest from a dealer.

Bad_alibi wrote: »
    I'll pass on the info. At least I got an approx price for him. Anything I looked up never mentioned a price.

A look at these pages in the last week will reveal a thread with plenty of comments about the real costs of re-barrelling a rifle. The figure of eu500 is the starting price at the low end of the line.

I bleeve that Cass posted a bunch of figures, at least one of which would have bought two new CZ rifles.

tac

Why does he want to rebarrel it anyway ? Is it shot out ?

gunny123 wrote: »
    Why does he want to rebarrel it anyway ? Is it shot out ?

Ammo availability & cost he wanted to change to maybe a .223

• Advertisement

Gunny, I'm hazarding a guess here, but it's likely that he's found out the hard way how difficult it is to find .17 Hornet ammunition in the Republic. I've never seen it over here in Eastern UK, either, as we have hundreds of vermin shooters/pest control shooters - at least two hundred in our club alone.

And not a one of them shoots a .17 Hornet.

See, our club officials are required to keep records of who has what calibre firearms so that the police can check on continued usage - that can be a RPITA keeping up with using the couple of dozen or more rifles or more that many club members have.

By comparison, most everywhere sells one or other type of .223 Remington.

tac

Agreed, the .223 is the only game in town for people who shoot foxes.

Advertisement