Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher kicks

• 07-01-2017 11:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.
    I studied karate from an early age and only stopped when I went to college. When I got back to martial arts about 4 years ago I took up traditional jiu jitsu. I think it worked out to be a great decision as i love the jiu jitsu but I would love to get my kicking ability back .
    I still have decent kicking technique but my flexibility is an issue.
    I was planning on stretching any evening I wasn't training but I don't think your meant to stretch sore muscles.

My aim would be to once again be able to kick with good technique high. And in an ideal world to do those sexy slow high kicks.

I've set a goal to be able to kick again by this time next year.

Is this achievable and can anyone over advice on the best way to improve flexibility for kicking.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ian.f

I don't know about injured muscles but it's definitely good to stretch muscles that are "sore" from the fatigue of training.

Warming up properly before training and stretching for 10-15 mins after will help a lot.

If you're looking for something to do at home where all the thinking and programming is done for you check out www.yogaforbjj.net . It is mainly marketed to bjj guys but focuses a lot on hip/hamstring/core mobility and strength so can be beneficial for any martial art really. Lots of videos around the 20-30 minute mark too so you don't need to clear a lot of time from your day to get it done consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Blackthorn Fight School

Ok I dont want to do any guerrilla marketing here but am happy to offer advice I have trained many people both amateur and pro kickboxers and done a lot of flexibility work anyways if your interested drop me a pm.

Otherwise what your describing is a big mixture of things and something I have spent a few years studying.

You do not need to be flexible in the standard thought of way to be able to kick high. I know plenty of people who cant get anywhere even close to touching their toes but can kick me in the head.

There are a mixture of types of flexibility that play of each other but dont rely on each other. Kicking is dynamic so leg swings and kicks will get you there for these. Static is where you can get into a position say the splits this will carry over to other areas of course. Then there is active which is what you describe as slow kicks these are all strength your basically lifting then leg into a stretched position think of a ballerina.

So you need to know how to stretch and have an end goal of what you want to achieve. If you were to spend a year working on just lower half flexibility only your high kicks would be exceptional and you would likely achieve full splits. There are a ton of options out there it all depends on what you want to achieve I am happy to suggest some programs out there etc that may help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

PM sent thanks.

Ok I dont want to do any guerrilla marketing here but am happy to offer advice I have trained many people both amateur and pro kickboxers and done a lot of flexibility work anyways if your interested drop me a pm.

Otherwise what your describing is a big mixture of things and something I have spent a few years studying.

You do not need to be flexible in the standard thought of way to be able to kick high. I know plenty of people who cant get anywhere even close to touching their toes but can kick me in the head.

There are a mixture of types of flexibility that play of each other but dont rely on each other. Kicking is dynamic so leg swings and kicks will get you there for these. Static is where you can get into a position say the splits this will carry over to other areas of course. Then there is active which is what you describe as slow kicks these are all strength your basically lifting then leg into a stretched position think of a ballerina.

So you need to know how to stretch and have an end goal of what you want to achieve. If you were to spend a year working on just lower half flexibility only your high kicks would be exceptional and you would likely achieve full splits. There are a ton of options out there it all depends on what you want to achieve I am happy to suggest some programs out there etc that may help.

Advertisement