Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice /Tips on doing the Hibernia PME

• 07-01-2017 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all,
    I know there is a surplus of teachers and conditions aren't great for NQTs but am almost certain to sign up for either an April or Sept. start with Hibernia. I was hoping some people that did it would have some advice or tips on the following
    1. Interview Prep - would it be advisable to get grinds in preparation for the Irish component?
    2. TP - Would it be worthwhile going to the local schools in order to suss out possible TP before starting?
    3. Funding - I would be giving up my full-time job, but would like to know how people funded themselves. Was it savings, BTEA, or part-time work? I am thinking of remaining in work until my first TP and then get a loan for the 18 remaining months of the course.
    Obvioiusly any tips or advice would be appreciated. Again, I am aware of what I am getting into and have a contingency plan if a job does not materialise after this course.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

As far as I know the BTEA doesn't apply because Hibernia is a private college. Open to correction on this though?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

If you are sure you know what you are getting into and can survive on an odd day's subbing on and off for a good while, then go for it.
    I'd certainly brush up on my Irish beforehand but the Irish oral doesn't seem to be particularly difficult there.

As to TP, until you have dates and have an idea what classes you need to be focusing on, I really wouldn't bother at this stage, unless you are a past pupil and just want to make the school aware that you might be looking for placement later.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭briangriffin

Did hibernia about 4 years ago, had to take out a student loan to pay for it not sure how much it is now but was about 11k then. Im not sure where all the doom and gloom about getting work is coming from there is a severe shortage of subs and nqts in our area so much so that we cant get anyone to sub the past 2 weeks for a sick teacher. School up the road from us had a maternity leave advertised and received 10 applications, when I qualified there would have veen over 250 applications for most jobs.If its something you want to do if youve sat in a class room and observed and feel like its something you would really enjoy then i would go for it 100%. Look at the pay scales see if its workable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Would have to agree with Brian about the shortage of subs and applicants for a 6 month position

Advertisement