Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Betting/Gaming ads during football matches

Comments

Korat wrote: »
    You don't understand the risks of gambling beyond your instant fix.

I understand them perfectly well, hence I don't gamble.

Anything else you'd like to make up?

Edit, beyond your little personal jibe, you asked for an explanation and you got it. You were wrong. Let's all move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I understand them perfectly well, hence I don't gamble.

Anything else you'd like to make up?

Why would you promote something you don't believe in?

Up to you.

Korat wrote: »
    Why would you promote something you don't believe in?

Up to you.

Well this is a message board. You asked a question a load of times and despite getting it answered you persisted without really having any idea what you were on about.

Anyway I'm not promoting anything. I haven't told anyone to go out and gamble and nor will I either. I don't see it as some terrible evil in society either and all this "won't somebody think of the children" Maud Flanders stuff is over the top imo.

It was in reply to what eagleeye said as I was proving a point but thanks.

Probably none at this stage tbh. Aside from In play enchanced bets.

Eagle Eyes' are on station.

I don't see it as some terrible evil in society either and all this "won't somebody think of the children" Maud Flanders stuff is over the top imo.

Ja voll!

It's a natural position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Well this is a message board. You asked a question a load of times and despite getting it answered you persisted without really having any idea what you were on about.

Anyway I'm not promoting anything. I haven't told anyone to go out and gamble and nor will I either. I don't see it as some terrible evil in society either and all this "won't somebody think of the children" Maud Flanders stuff is over the top imo.

You arent familiar enough with society then or indeed appreciative of how young minds work.

kippy wrote: »
    You arent familiar enough with society then or indeed appreciative of how young minds work.

The goalposts are moving all over the place here.

I'm sure you're an expert in these things. What broad fields you've studied

The goalposts are moving all over the place here.

I'm sure you're an expert in these things. What broad fields you've studied

Theres no goalposts to move. Surely as mentioned above problem gambling has massive negative effects on society. The more advertising of gambling the more likely people are to gamble and statisticily the more people gamble the more people with gambling problems you produce.
    Kids start to recognise bookies names,associate gambling with watching sports and hey presto you have a young adult primed to gamble.
    These are simple facts. Worryingly there are plenty on here who have no issues defending the proliferation of gambling and promotion of gambling within society when all of the evidence suggests that gambling is extremely addictive and one of the worst addictions at that.
    All that is being suggested on this thread is the requirement that adds for gambling be restricted to after the watershed to reduce the chances of exposure to kids.
    Ideally all gambling advertising within sport should be banned but thats an argument for another day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Theres no goalposts to move. Surely as mentioned above problem gambling has massive negative effects on society. The more advertising of gambling the more likely people are to gamble and statisticily the more people gamble the more people with gambling problems you produce.
    Kids start to recognise bookies names,associate gambling with watching sports and hey presto you have a young adult primed to gamble.
    These are simple facts. Worryingly there are plenty on here who have no issues defending the proliferation of gambling and promotion of gambling within society when all of the evidence suggests that gambling is extremely addictive and one of the worst addictions at that.
    All that is being suggested on this thread is the requirement that adds for gambling be restricted to after the watershed to reduce the chances of exposure to kids.
    Ideally all gambling advertising within sport should be banned but thats an argument for another day.

I suppose we should ban every advertisement that's bad for us so.

What about Obesity? RIP McDonalds advertisements/Burger King etc. We should ban all them as well, because the children will then want fast food and that can lead to Obesity which is bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Has anyone mentioned the Heineken ads before, during and after Champions League games? Do we want these banned also?

• Advertisement

kfallon wrote: »
    Has anyone mentioned the Heineken ads before, during and after Champions League games? Do we want these banned also?

First time I saw it mentioned and also a very good point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Those shouldn't be allowed before the games but from halftime on is after 8.00pm and I'd have no issue with that.

I'm not looking for a complete ban just a watershed.

It was in reply to what eagleeye said as I was proving a point but thanks.
    Well you didn't prove anything other than you bet regularly.

I suppose we should ban every advertisement that's bad for us so.

What about Obesity? RIP McDonalds advertisements/Burger King etc. We should ban all them as well, because the children will then want fast food and that can lead to Obesity which is bad!
    We are not talking about obesity here and the relative badness of differing types of behaviours is not the issue.

You obvioisly see no issue with wall to wall gambling advertising.

Drinks advertising is a topic that is currently under review across Europe.
    I see no reason why drinks advertising should come under stricter regulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

eagle eye wrote: »
    Those shouldn't be allowed before the games but from halftime on is after 8.00pm and I'd have no issue with that.

I'm not looking for a complete ban just a watershed.

What happens if children's bedtime is later than that?

Thats really not the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Thats really not the point.

So you think there be some arbitrary cut off point for the sake of it.

Well you didn't prove anything other than you bet regularly.
    You're right, I just proved that I track everything and that I know I make profit, nobody what I'd post you would say it would be false or whatever or I could just make it up and screenshot it. It proves your narrative for me to lose money.
    We are not talking about obesity here and the relative badness of differing types of behaviours is not the issue.

You obvioisly see no issue with wall to wall gambling advertising.

You're right I don't see any issue with it. The same way I don't see an issue with Mcdonalds advertising towards children with kids meals and giving them toys so much temptation and it starts at sucha young age!

The argument that people are making to ban gambling ads before 8:00PM, then Fast Food ads should be banned for the same argument that you guys are making.

Also why is 8:00PM the cut off point? I don't know any teenager that goes to bed at 8:00PM so they'd still see the advertisements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'd expect to see a curb on drinks advertising before betting, it seems to be a bigger hot topic issue Europe wide.

I turned on RTE 2 on a Saturday evening in November and saw a show listed as "Guinness Series Live", it turned out it was a rugby match between Ireland and Australia, who would have guessed from the title.

In rugby the d "Celtic" league is now called by its drinks sponsors name, the European cup used to be the same.

There is wall to wall promotions by those sponsors at games, kids are being exposed to this constantly while watching or at games.

The GAA dropped it last drinks sponsor at national level a number of years ago,and even at county level the number of drinks sponsors has been reduced if not totally removed.

Rugby could do the same if you ask me.

You're right, I just proved that I track everything and that I know I make profit, nobody what I'd post you would say it would be false or whatever or I could just make it up and screenshot it. It proves your narrative for me to lose money.

You're right I don't see any issue with it. The same way I don't see an issue with Mcdonalds advertising towards children with kids meals and giving them toys so much temptation and it starts at sucha young age!

The argument that people are making to ban gambling ads before 8:00PM, then Fast Food ads should be banned for the same argument that you guys are making.

Also why is 8:00PM the cut off point? I don't know any teenager that goes to bed at 8:00PM so they'd still see the advertisements.

If you cannot differentiate between gambling and eating you have bigger issues than can be addressed here.

It's the parent's responsibility after that time. They should both be at home or have somebody minding their kids. It's not a time when you children's friends will be over.

Fact of the matter is that kids want to watch Premier league football at the weekend and they should be able to do that without being exposed to advertisements of anything that is supposedly aimed at people over 18 years of age who are legally entitled to avail of those products.
    I'm not sure what you are trying to say with this jibberish.

All those screenshots do is show you bet a lot. You are right though you could make them up in a few minutes.

Like here is one,

If you cannot differentiate between gambling and eating you have bigger issues than can be addressed here.

Correct

Nobody is spending their wages on cheese burgers.

No one is losing their home, business or family because they had one too many fizzy drinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

It's the parent's responsibility after that time. They should both be at home or have somebody minding their kids. It's not a time when you children's friends will be over.

Fact of the matter is that kids want to watch Premier league football at the weekend and they should be able to do that without being exposed to advertisements of anything that is supposedly aimed at people over 18 years of age who are legally entitled to avail of those products.

If it can be the parents responsibility after that time why can't it be the parents responsibility before that time? Given that the parents have to buy sky/bt etc would suggest it already is the parent's responsibility.

Do kids not also want to watch premier league football during the week?

Correct

No one is losing their home, business or family because they had one too many fizzy drinks.

Nope you're right their not spending their wages and losing their homes because of it.

Obesity increases the risk of younger death etc etc which i'm not bother going into and if you can think it's Ok to show one and not the other then you're missing the point completely.

Obesity is Ok, but gambling is not. Lol. Ok. I'm gonna take a guess and say Obesity is a much bigger problem(no pun intended) than gambling.

• Advertisement

• Correct

Really? How can you confirm such a thing?
    Is obesity not a serious health issue?
    Bit hypocritical statement to make after all what you are saying about gambling adds and addiction issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

This just came up in a thread and I am very concerned about it myself. I don't like the idea that these advertisements are on during games. I think there should be a watershed for ads like these which at the earliest should be 8.00pm imo.

Lately there has been an ad for a betting/gaming firm which has Jurgen Klopp in it and I'm really concerned by this because younger people who are easily influenced are more likely to be taken in by an ad with a well known figure from the Premier league in it.

I'm just wondering what other peoples thoughts are on this. I'm thinking about kids here which is the major concern as far as I'm concerned.

Just goes to show the hypocrisy that operates in the game in England. All the respect campaigns, educational programmes about homophobia and racism, all the clinics that are setup for ex-footballer with gambling and addiction issues and all the education and training that takes place at youth level for players to avoid pitfalls of predecessors.

And while paying mouth service to the improvements and the great work being done, on the flipside they simply can't help themselves gorging from the trough of endless money.

The FA have an official betting partner, where that ad and the companies logo will be displayed during English national team press conferences and events, with the logos displayed on advertisement boards and during TV breaks. (Ladbrokes afaik)

The Premier league, well there is no end to their requirement for more money.

Clubs happily snapping up ££££ for shirt sponsorship from bookies, stadium renames, anything that can be sold.

Personally it doesn't exactly affect me. Bet365 is actually the service I use, and when the ad comes on I get a laugh out of replacing words with "slag" and I think it's gas..

But its worth remembering that a lot of these are tailored to the British audience, from where you look at the general advertisements on British Tv, they are clearly a society of people easily influenced and gullable as ****. And Brexit would probably back that up. They also clearly have a range of society that is absolutely spacker when it comes to personal Finance. You only have to see the amount of ads about PPI or short term loans at a gazillion APR to see its done for a reason.

howiya wrote: »
    If it can be the parents responsibility after that time why can't it be the parents responsibility before that time? Given that the parents have to buy sky/bt etc would suggest it already is the parent's responsibility.

Do kids not also want to watch premier league football during the week?
    I can't sit around like a security guard on Saturdays and turn on and off the tv. I doubt many parents have that luxury.

My kids are not allowed watch soccer games after 8.00pm in the evening whether that be weekdays or weekends.

Nope you're right their not spending their wages and losing their homes because of it.

Obesity increases the risk of younger death etc etc which i'm not bother going into and if you can think it's Ok to show one and not the other then you're missing the point completely.

Obesity is Ok, but gambling is not. Lol. Ok. I'm gonna take a guess and say Obesity is a much bigger problem(no pun intended) than gambling.
    If fast food and the likes become only legally available to over 18's then I'm all for a ban on those ads too.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Really? How can you confirm such a thing?
    Is obesity not a serious health issue?
    Bit hypocritical statement to make after all what you are saying about gambling adds and addiction issues
    I don't know anybody and have never heard of anybody that has spent their entire fortune, sold their house and left their family with nothing because of an addiction to cheese burgers.

Sadly I know a few people who have done the above because of a gambling addiction and I've heard about many more too.

• Advertisement

I can't sit around like a security guard on Saturdays and turn on and off the tv. I doubt many parents have that luxury.

My kids are not allowed watch soccer games after 8.00pm in the evening whether that be weekdays or weekends.

Now we're at the real nub of it. Lack of personal responsibility

Now we're at the real nub of it. Lack of personal responsibility
    Lack of social responsibility is the issue. Personal responsibility can only do so much.
    People like youself and indeed others admit advertising does not effect them so whats the issue with banning gambling advertising in the first instance to reduce the potential audience for these companies? No one has put forward an argument as to why these adds should be allowed.

I don't know anybody and have never heard of anybody that has spent their entire fortune, sold their house and left their family with nothing because of an addiction to cheese burgers.

Sadly I know a few people who have done the above because of a gambling addiction and I've heard about many more too.

The negative outcomes of obesity include things like cancer, heart failure and death.

Not serious though is it?

If people are seriously trying to equate gambling addiction to unhealthy eating then that's me out.

The negative outcomes of obesity include things like cancer, heart failure and death.

Not serious though is it?

Again. Absolutely irrelevant in the context of this conversation. Eating and gambling are totaly different activities but I shouldnt really have to explain that.

Lack of social responsibility is the issue. Personal responsibility can only do so much.
    People like youself and indeed others admit advertising does not effect them so whats the issue with banning gambling advertising in the first instance to reduce the potential audience for these companies? No one has put forward an argument as to why these adds should be allowed.

In the absence of social responsibility, one has to take personal responsibility.

It is quite likely that these ads will be better regulated in the future and I've no problem with that.

I've suspected all along that the OP simply won't take personal responsibility for what his kids watch on tv and now he has finally admitted it. He's too busy apparently

Again. Absolutely irrelevant in the context of this conversation. Eating and gambling are totaly different activities but I shouldnt really have to explain that.

Nobody has said that they're not different things.

The point being made that because gambling is considered bad, so is fast foods which also target children, yet nobody is calling for them to be banned.

Nobody has said that they're not different things.

The point being made that because gambling is considered bad, so is fast foods which also target children, yet nobody is calling for them to be banned.
    Not in this thread because this thread is in relation to gambling an activity legal to over 18s only.

In the absence of social responsibility, one has to take personal responsibility.

It is quite likely that these ads will be better regulated in the future and I've no problem with that.

I've suspected all along that the OP simply won't take personal responsibility for what his kids watch on tv and now he has finally admitted it. He's too busy apparently
    Of course he is taking responsibility for what his kids watch on TV. Wasnt that why he opened this thread!

Of course he is taking responsibility for what his kids watch on TV. Wasnt that why he opened this thread!

Opening a thread on boards is not taking responsibility for what your kids watch on tv. Read post number 279

• Advertisement

• kippy wrote: »
    Not in this thread because this thread is in relation to gambling an activity legal to over 18s only.

Hang on a minute lads

The argument you have been making the whole thread was protecting children against the dangers of advertising gambling during match times

The same could easily be said for advertising fast food, chocolate, take aways at the same time or any time for that matter and no matter the outcome

Childhood obesity is a real thing that has huge impact on a child's health so for trying to refute this as something different because it didn't suit your argument is a load of bull****e to be honest

Obesity has ruined lives, is it their fault probably on part yes. But Same can be said for gambling addicts

Hang on a minute lads

The argument you have been making the whole thread was protecting children against the dangers of advertising gambling during match times

The same could easily be said for advertising fast food, chocolate, take aways at the same time or any time for that matter and no matter the outcome

Childhood obesity is a real thing that has huge impact on a child's health so for trying to refute this as something different because it didn't suit your argument is a load of bull****e to be honest

Obesity has ruined lives, is it their fault probably on part yes. But Same can be said for gambling addicts
    None of the items mentioned above are illegal for minors to buy. I protect my kids as best I can from those things to but they are legally obtainable for kids under 18.

Gambling is illegal for under 18's so it shouldn't be advertised during the day when they can watch tv. Same as alcohol.

None of the items mentioned above are illegal for minors to buy. I protect my kids as best I can from those things to but they are legally obtainable for kids under 18.

Gambling is illegal for under 18's so it shouldn't be advertised during the day when they can watch tv. Same as alcohol.

I give up.

I give up.

You're dead right too.

You have been making a right ass of yourself over the last few days.

You have been making a right ass of yourself over the last few days.

Yes clearly made an ass of myself when multiple people agree with me.

You're super smart.

Yes clearly made an ass of myself when multiple people agree with me.

You're super smart.

People agreeing with you doesnt necessarily make anyone any less of an ass or indeed justify a position.

Ill say it again but some of the attitudes shown on this thread are very worrying.

Hang on a minute lads

You cannot compare the two for what should be very obvious reasons.

You cannot compare the two for what should be very obvious reasons.

Yes I can, because this is the logic you are pushing in relation to advertisements
    18 or not 18

Yes I can, because this is the logic you are pushing in relation to advertisements
    18 or not 18

If thats all you think that seperates them youve proven my point.

• Advertisement

If thats all you think that seperates them youve proven my point.

No I haven't
    You are rambling now

Advertisement