Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lottie Ryan - Opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

liam7831 wrote: »
    No, I imagine the poster is using the evidence of common bloody sense. You honestly think Lottie Ryan went through an audition! ! I honestly think you must be just arguing her case for the sake of it.

Do you honestly think there are no better presenters out there that have applied to RTE radio for a job.....

Exactly " I imagine" in other words pure waffle

Good man Liam!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

She is not suited to radio, and it baffles me why she remains on air. I’d actually expect better from volunteers on local radio – not on 2fm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    I'm sure she had an audition but only as a formality.

RTE: Hello Lottie?
    Lottie: Yes?
    RTE: We have an opening here for one of them Dee-Jay's as I think they call them.
    Lottie: OK
    RTE: But we need to audition you.
    RTE: Do you know where Montrose is Lottie? The place where the 'oul fella used to work.
    Lottie: Yes
    RTE: Do you think you could get your arse down here for 6 am on a Saturday?
    RTE: Congratulations, you've passed the audition and you got the job. It's amazing how all the kids and grandkids of the people who work here fly these auditions. They're so good at them, we don't need to look any further than 2 miles from the coast. Must be the 'oul sea air.
    RTE: Sound, so, we'll see you on Saturday and we'll give you the cheque then.
    RTE: Ehh..........alright so.
    RTE: Eh...you can hang up now Lottie, the audition is over.
    RTE: Sweet suffering fuc..*click

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Why would you say its likely there were no auditions or adequate checks, have you even one tiny little bit of evidence to substantiate this claim?
    I will take that as a NO
    Exactly " I imagine" in other words pure waffle
    Can you please show me an example of where RTE advertised publicly for their DJs?
    Can you please show evidence that RTE held auditions whereby people who wanted to get a professional career as a DJ could apply?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭BandMember

If her name was Lottie Murphy, she wouldn't be able to get a job in a local community radio station doing the graveyard shift!

Yet another reason why people don't listen to 2FM. That station should just be put out of its misery once and for all as it ceased to be relevant about 20 years ago....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Red Kev wrote: »
    RTE: Hello Lottie?
    Lottie: Yes?
    RTE: We have an opening here for one of them Dee-Jay's as I think they call them.
    RTE: But we need to audition you.
    RTE: Do you know where Montrose is Lottie? The place where the 'oul fella used to work.
    RTE: Do you think you could get your arse down here for 6 am on a Saturday?
    RTE: Congratulations, you've passed the audition and you got the job. It's amazing how all the kids and grandkids of the people who work here fly these auditions. They're so good at them, we don't need to look any further than 2 miles from the coast. Must be the 'oul sea air.
    RTE: Sound, so, we'll see you on Saturday and we'll give you the cheque then.
    RTE: Ehh..........alright so.
    RTE: Eh...you can hang up now Lottie, the audition is over.
    RTE: Sweet suffering fuc..*click
    She sounds the smarter of the two there.

• Site Banned Posts: 72 ✭✭Mr Whom

"Loddie Ryoin" has an awful shrill put on pseudo D4 accent. I turn her off immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

BandMember wrote: »
    If her name was Lottie Murphy, she wouldn't be able to get a job in a local community radio station doing the graveyard shift!

Yet another reason why people don't listen to 2FM. That station should just be put out of its misery once and for all as it ceased to be relevant about 20 years ago....
    If her name was Lottie Murphy there won't be a thread with 60 odd replies about her couple of minutes reporting entertainment news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

ronnie085 wrote: »
    If her name was Lottie Murphy there won't be a thread with 60 odd replies about her couple of minutes reporting entertainment news

2nd line of post #1.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That is probable.
    So too is the probability that if she was Lottie Murphy she would not have got the gig in RTE in the first place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Who is the more annoying? Lottie Murphy.

Or Lottie Ryan.

Sorry, but she is hatefully irritating!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Gerry may have passed on but her uncle Mike Ryan works in RTE Radio. You can currently hear him on the Radio 1 Rewind at 2am most weeknights. He used to be an overnight presenter on 2FM as well as a stand in presenter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭BandMember

Yeah, because she wouldn't be able to get the job in the first place!! I thought my post was pretty clear and self explanatory?? :confused: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

BandMember wrote: »

Yeah, because she wouldn't be able to get the job in the first place!! I thought my post was pretty clear and self explanatory?? :confused: :rolleyes:
    In fairness she's a tiny problem when you look at what passes for a DJ on 2fm, Stephen Byrne for example turning up in seemly endless different timeslots filling hours talking about "celebrities" he meets and making up childish songs,not a word, oh and just to be clear I'm no fan of Lottie either, just seems to be a major overreaction against her for the amount of time she's on just because of who her father was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I've met her a few times as a customer in a shop I worked in. Very pleasant person, really friendly.

It's incredibly easy to criticise celebrities, but having chatted to a few (it's a hazard of having worked on Grafton St.) I can't say I've met many who were outright obnoxious. Except perhaps Ryan Tubridy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Hit and miss. Everday is a lottie-ry?

I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Crap,only there Cos of daddy,zero talent mouthpiece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Look up awful or talentless in the dictionary, you'll see her picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

sdanseo wrote: »
    I've met her a few times as a customer in a shop I worked in. Very pleasant person, really friendly.

It's incredibly easy to criticise celebrities, but having chatted to a few (it's a hazard of having worked on Grafton St.) I can't say I've met many who were outright obnoxious. Except perhaps Ryan Tubridy.

I've only heard her doing entertainment bits with Eoghan McDermott. For what it's worth, she seems like a bit of craic when she's on with him.

What bothers me about the situation is that she doesn't seem to be working her way up. I mean, if she was holding down a weekend gig on the station for a while, or doing stuff on 2XM or Pulse or the like for a few years then you wouldn't begrudge her getting a shot at primetime. Just comes across now as someone who's got the job because of who she knows and loyalty to her aul lad. (I think she has done some weekend work, but I don't think she's had a regular slot? Open to correction on that).

Not only is it not good for 2FM, it's not good for Lottie either. I mean, being parachuted into a gig you're not ready for yet, then getting slaughtered because of it is hardly going to do much for her confidence.

I mean, if you take Anton Savage as an example, he had loads of connections, yet he started in Today FM as a correspondent on the Last Word, then did some cover work, got a weekend gig, and then got a shot at the 9-12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I've only heard her doing entertainment bits with Eoghan McDermott. For what it's worth, she seems like a bit of craic when she's on with him.

What bothers me about the situation is that she doesn't seem to be working her way up. I mean, if she was holding down a weekend gig on the station for a while, or doing stuff on 2XM or Pulse or the like for a few years then you wouldn't begrudge her getting a shot at primetime. Just comes across now as someone who's got the job because of who she knows and loyalty to her aul lad. (I think she has done some weekend work, but I don't think she's had a regular slot? Open to correction on that).

Not only is it not good for 2FM, it's not good for Lottie either. I mean, being parachuted into a gig you're not ready for yet, then getting slaughtered because of it is hardly going to do much for her confidence.

I mean, if you take Anton Savage as an example, he had loads of connections, yet he started in Today FM as a correspondent on the Last Word, then did some cover work, got a weekend gig, and then got a shot at the 9-12.

... and he actually was good at his job, and dumped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

NIMAN wrote: »
    ... and he actually was good at his job, and dumped.

or

His dad is head of the state broadcaster, his mother is the governments spin doctor of choice and he’s just won the plumb job on the radio station owned by the richest man in the country who may or may not have benefited from a number of decisions made by the government in recent years… *sigh*

just one of the negative opinions expressed on another thread here. It's all a matter of opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

I think might you have missed the fact that she now has her own show on 2fm - early mornings at weekends, Saturdays and Sundays. And that show only has an audience of 1,000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    I think might you have missed the fact that she now has her own show on 2fm - early mornings at weekends, Saturdays and Sundays. And that show only has an audience of 1,000.

Bring back Maxi or Simon Young to weekend breakfast!!

• Site Banned Posts: 32 Streppy

She's bad but surely Tracey Clifford must have a relation in RTÉ as well. The worst radio DJ I've ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

Streppy wrote: »
    She's bad but surely Tracey Clifford must have a relation in RTÉ as well. The worst radio DJ I've ever heard.

going to have to agree, her show in the afternoon is awwwwwfulll. has to be taken off the air sooner rather than later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

sdanseo wrote: »

She may bvery well be friendly and a nice person, I don't doubt ot for a minute, but she's not much good at what she does and she should make way for somebody else.

I generally go down as a very decent bloke, but I never saw Kenny Dalglish or Jurgen Klopp giving me a game with Liverpool because of it. That's not the way life works, or it shouldn't work like that in state bodies. If a private company wants to do it, then fair enough, that's their call, but the taxpayer shouldn't be paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭EIREDriver

Would I be right in saying Lottie has replaced Keith in the 6-7 slot? Only caught the tail end of it a few mornings and have noticed her on it. Quality of songs up in Request Wars have been dreadful too. :P

I've switched from 2fm to Radio 1 in mornings and to Today FM in evenings. Just couldn't listen to the s***e anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

EIREDriver wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying Lottie has replaced Keith in the 6-7 slot? Only caught the tail end of it a few mornings and have noticed her on it. Quality of songs up in Request Wars have been dreadful too. :P

I've switched from 2fm to Radio 1 in mornings and to Today FM in evenings. Just couldn't listen to the s***e anymore.

Wait, WERE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭TheManFromTipp

Red Kev wrote: »
    She may bvery well be friendly and a nice person, I don't doubt ot for a minute, but she's not much good at what she does and she should make way for somebody else.

I generally go down as a very decent bloke, but I never saw Kenny Dalglish or Jurgen Klopp giving me a game with Liverpool because of it. That's not the way life works, or it shouldn't work like that in state bodies. If a private company wants to do it, then fair enough, that's their call, but the taxpayer shouldn't be paying for it.

Is it just me,or do you all hear the wheeze when she takes a breath doing a link?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Loddy Rhine eh?

People will obviously talk of the nepotism or whatever of her geting the job there. So what? It happens in all walks. Hardly worth the vitriol in this thread.

However, she is the "entertainment dolly". Not like she has been parachuted in as the anchor in a prime time slot between 8am and 6pm. FWIW, her voice annoys me. Its generic D4 radio voice. But she seems a nice person, so she is ok by me.

gimmick wrote: »
    Loddy Rhine eh?

People will obviously talk of the nepotism or whatever of her geting the job there. So what? It happens in all walks. Hardly worth the vitriol in this thread.

However, she is the "entertainment dolly". Not like she has been parachuted in as the anchor in a prime time slot between 8am and 6pm. FWIW, her voice annoys me. Its generic D4 radio voice. But she seems a nice person, so she is ok by me.

I'm nice. As I'm sure are plenty of excellent media graduates with a passion for broadcasting who would bite the hand off an internship in RTE, never mind a regular slot!
    It would be different if she excelled or at the least was good at her job but she's not (if the feedback is to be believed!) So she deserves a critique and unfortunately given how she clearly got the job that critique is pretty negative!
    She is more than likely another RTE lifer if she wants to be so young people trying to break the industry are not going to be happy.

But yeah, she seems "nice"!

I think the vitriol is more so aimed at the incestuous system RTE operates a lot of the time as you can't exactly blame Loddy for taking a decent paid job in an industry she wants to work in!

I think the vitriol is more so aimed at the incestuous system RTE operates a lot of the time as you can't exactly blame Loddy for taking a decent paid job in an industry she wants to work in!

Precisely. Dont hate the player, hate the game.

However looking back at the threa there is plenty vitriol directed at just her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Loddy Rhine eh?

It's RTÉ she is working for, state owned and funded by the licence fees, nobody should be able to swan their way in without being the best candidate for the job, her walking in to it has left another qualified candidate out of the same job. RTÉ is not or should I say should not be some kind of creché or FÁS course for training in people on prime time shows. Whatever nepotism exists in the private radio sector is completely different to what's going on here.

It's RTÉ she is working for, state owned and funded by the licence fees, nobody should be able to swan their way in without being the best candidate for the job, her walking in to it has left another qualified candidate out of the same job. RTÉ is not or should I say should not be some kind of creché or FÁS course for training in people on prime time shows. Whatever nepotism exists in the private radio sector is completely different to what's going on here.

Be honest now, look at Irish radio as a whole. ts not exactly bursting at the seams with very talented presenters. Seems to me by letting her jump the queue they probably just saved time.

All broadcasters that aren't good at their jobs get vitriol. You choose to see it from a different angle though. Obviously the nepotism angle will heighten that, natural human reaction.

All broadcasters that aren't good at their jobs get vitriol. You choose to see it from a different angle though. Obviously the nepotism angle will heighten that, natural human reaction.

Look at the D'Arcy threads, Tubridy , Joe Duffy etc etc! We are a nation of begrudgers and proud of it!

M

Be honest now, look at Irish radio as a whole. ts not exactly bursting at the seams with very talented presenters. Seems to me by letting her jump the queue they probably just saved time.

RTÉ is losing €20 million a year, that's over €50k a day, I would expect that the organisation would have as one of its highest principles to have a fair recruitment policy in place if it was to continue to be given state and licence funds. I can't protest at how the organisation is being run by withdrawing my annual €160 licence fee as I would actually end up in jail. It's no wonder it is where it is now.

• Advertisement

Really? There are plenty of talented presenters on both private and local radio stations. Familiarity with same will make you appreciate that. RTE needs a massive overhaul and cleanout.

Even my own local station KFM has plenty of much more talented presenters with much more affable personalities, wit, intelligence and just plain old ability to do their job.

M

Really? There are plenty of talented presenters on both private and local radio stations. Familiarity with same will make you appreciate that. RTE needs a massive overhaul and cleanout.

Sorry I phrased that wrong I would have said...
    it has left a nother qualified candidate out of the same job.

Sorry I phrased that wrong I would have said...
    it has left a nother qualified candidate out of the same job.

My reply was in response to gimmicks assertion that there wasnt much talent out there regardless, not your post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Her voice grates. I don't care who her father was, she doesn't have a voice for radio.
    The fake enthusiasm about whatever ****e awards ceremony is on that week, some crap about someone shagging someone else etc etc

She talks like she knows these people.
    Dear God I need to start complaining about something important!!:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

All the bitter people make me laugh, some say nepotism again.......Please ðŸ˜

• Advertisement

Are you serious Liam??? Do you honestly think it's just coincidence a clearly incompetent young girl gets a state broadcasting job.......oh and her father just happened to be 1 of said Broadcasters most famous presenters.

So yeah....nepotism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Are you serious Liam??? Do you honestly think it's just coincidence a clearly incompetent young girl gets a state broadcasting job.......oh and her father just happened to be 1 of said Broadcasters most famous presenters.

So yeah....nepotism.

Famous but fake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

This radio station is laughable.

I had the misfortune to hear this station in the gym one morning a while ago. They played some song - and I think they had been talking about Craig David or something. Towards the end of the song the 'hilarious' dj's kept playing a soundbite - "Craaaaaiiig Daaaavid" - as in the joke from Bo Selecta!

Christ! I thought, is it 2003 again?! I mean seriously. How utterly lame.

I don't mind Lottie though, she doesn't irritate me and she comes across as a nice enough person. However, it's fairly obvious to anyone with half a brain why she got that gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

I once heard Lottie do a talk break where she was clearly reading some celeb gossip off a piece of paper verbatim and she then transitioned into a song by actually just saying: "And now, here is a song".

Incredibly amateurish and a lot of her breaks sound prerecorded for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭EIREDriver

This radio station is laughable.

I had the misfortune to hear this station in the gym one morning a while ago. They played some song - and I think they had been talking about Craig David or something. Towards the end of the song the 'hilarious' dj's kept playing a soundbite - "Craaaaaiiig Daaaavid" - as in the joke from Bo Selecta!

Christ! I thought, is it 2003 again?! I mean seriously. How utterly lame.

I don't mind Lottie though, she doesn't irritate me and she comes across as a nice enough person. However, it's fairly obvious to anyone with half a brain why she got that gig.

That Craaaaaig David thing is a regular occurrence across a number of shows...

It annoyed me the first time I heard it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement