Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloods Fee extra at Holles now - why and do I need it?

Options
  • 07-01-2017 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

I registered my second pregnancy with Holles - again semi private - and they told me on the phone that this time I have to pay extra for the blood tests. Does anyone know the reason for that? Are these optional tests or the standard ones they would have done for my earlier pregnancy in 2015?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Are they extra tests or something? I'm public in Holles st and have had. Moods done a couple of times and didn't pay. Maybe you're getting something other than the standard tests? Or maybe they are checking yours more frequently?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭sareer

not that I know as I havent even been to my first appointment yet. they only told me that different to the fees for my last pregnancy there is now a fee for the blood tests. I believe it's 125 euros extra so not insignificant either.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

That's a bit mad, under the mother and baby scheme all bloods to do with pregnancy should be free.
    I've had bloods every time I was with midwife clinic for various reasons and never charged. Different hospital though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Sareer you should be able to claim €60 back on your vhi for bloods under pathology. Or a lot of laŷa policies allow 50% back.
    It is still cheaper than rotunda or coombe (when you add in scans!). And cheaper net as you claim your consultants and bloods back if that makes sense ;)

I know though it's annoying all the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Unless there is some test that needs doing outside the country the HSE labs do all blood testing for free so you are only ever paying for someone to take the blood and read you the results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭appledrop

I have heard this before. Holles street like to rip you off if you go semi-private or private. They can also charge extra for some scans. That's one of reasons I opted to go private in Rotunda. Yes you pay for your consultant but no other add on charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

We got stung for 125 too

appledrop wrote: »
    I have heard this before. Holles street like to rip you off if you go semi-private or private. They can also charge extra for some scans. That's one of reasons I opted to go private in Rotunda. Yes you pay for your consultant but no other add on charges.

I totally agree apple drop. Rotunda is great value for private. I wanted to go there but I live southside. The only thing I thought was odd is that they include your time in labour suite as a night!!! I always thought the night only started when you got a room!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭appledrop

I didn't have that problem Millem. I had a superfast labour went in morning + baby born in less than 3 hours!

appledrop wrote: »
    I didn't have that problem Millem. I had a superfast labour went in morning + baby born in less than 3 hours!

Lucky you! I would be disgusted tbh going to delivery ward in the late hours and that is one my "nights".

• Advertisement
Advertisement