Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star trail showing white 'vignetting'?

Options
  • 07-01-2017 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I took this star trail photo recently and noticed the top corners showing a purple-white glow. Does anyone know what is causing this?

I know the bottom 2 corners are darker showing vignetting which I would expect but I can't explain the top 2 corners of the image.

It was taken in dark skies with no street lights in Ballingskelligs, Kerry.

Nikon D3000
    30 minutes
    18mm
    ISO 100
    f/3.5 (Wide Open)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭murphyme2010

Could it be amp glow?

Michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 fred344

It is indeed. Looked it up there. I should have applied a dark frame to it. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Did you just do you single 30 minute exposure?

That can ruin your sensor. You need to be doing say 1hr's worth of 30second exposures with a 4-5 sec interval in between to let your sensor cool down.

Also your focus is not set to infinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 fred344

Yes. First time trying it so I know now that multiple shorter exposures are better. I know its out of focus. Focus was set to infinity but that does not necessarily mean its focused. ;)

Advertisement