Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ned Flanagan 2017

Options
  • 07-01-2017 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

Just spotted on newbridge CC Facebook page race cancelled to be rescheduled at a later date I think similar happened last year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Homer1798

Rumours are Traders Cup due to take place the following Sunday after the Ned flanagan may be also be cancelled as it isn't shown on CI calander now ??

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

Yeah your right just noticed that there now looks like 1st race in Leinster this year will be summerhill on the 25th time enough anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Homer1798 wrote: »
    Rumours are Traders Cup due to take place the following Sunday after the Ned flanagan may be also be cancelled as it isn't shown on CI calander now ??

Looks to have been pushed out to September 3rd on the calendar (visible there at time of posting): http://www.calendarwiz.com/calendars/calendar.php?month=9&day=01&year=2017&crd=CyclingirelandRoad&#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

So what happened the Ned?
    All those moaning about the early season start can rejoice now.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Someone posted in another thread there's no open racing until 1 March. Presumably both the above were originally scheduled for February?

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    Someone posted in another thread there's no open racing until 1 March. Presumably both the above were originally scheduled for February?
    That motion wasn't passed at the AGM. So racing whenever clubs want to schedule

The Traders Cup has been run in Dundalk for over 70 years and in latter years it has been scheduled for February. Bumped forward to September this season according to the calendar.
    'Rumours of its demise have been....' etc

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I asked about it in the other thread, which was quite recent, but there were no further comments. There's nothing on the CI website about it, but TBH it's not something for the AGM. If they have a Road Commission back up and running they can consider and determine such matters

I asked about it in the other thread, which was quite recent, but there were no further comments. There's nothing on the CI website about it, but TBH it's not something for the AGM. If they have a Road Commission back up and running they can consider and determine such matters

Newbridge CC Facebook has details of the cancellation; CI calendar has Traders Cup for Sept 3rd. It was there from day 1 I think
    I suspect strongly the 'no racing before March' proposal will appear again next year at the AGM and then the debate will start again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭wav1

After consultation with the promoters,the Dundalk race is now being promoted in Sept.Ned Flanagan was to have gone ahead for this yr only in mid Feb but would have been pushed back in 2018 anyway.Cant comment on why its not happening,but I do know there is a very good reason.
    So its a Feb 25th kick off in Leinster which most have been looking for anyway.It has been too early for past few years.Hopefully[and it will take time] the season and mindset can be eased ever so gently further into September.
    Beasty is correct.These type of things can be decided at commission level now.No point in its existence if it cant do stuff like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Homer1798

Personnally I can't see why races don't start in February. A few seasons ago we had great weather for the Ned and Traders, then had the St Patricks Day race cancelled due to snow!!!!! Promoters should have the say here, if cyclists don't want to race/feel it's too early, there's no compulsion to turn up (yet these races prove hughly popular!!).
    I do realise that some people have complained that there are too many races early in the season (February/March) and not enough in August/September but looking at the make up of the membership of CI it perhaps suits riders with families to have a quite August/September. The Ned and Traders were excellent start of the season races with wide, relatively traffic free, well surfaced roads and flatish parcours, as safe as any promoter could make it.
    I think it's the riders and CI's loss tat these races can't go ahead, let's hope they are not lost altogeather.

• Advertisement

Homer1798 wrote: »
    Personnally I can't see why races don't start in February. A few seasons ago we had great weather for the Ned and Traders, then had the St Patricks Day race cancelled due to snow!!!!! Promoters should have the say here, if cyclists don't want to race/feel it's too early, there's no compulsion to turn up (yet these races prove hughly popular!!).
    I do realise that some people have complained that there are too many races early in the season (February/March) and not enough in August/September but looking at the make up of the membership of CI it perhaps suits riders with families to have a quite August/September. The Ned and Traders were excellent start of the season races with wide, relatively traffic free, well surfaced roads and flatish parcours, as safe as any promoter could make it.
    I think it's the riders and CI's loss tat these races can't go ahead, let's hope they are not lost altogeather.
    Traders Cup is not lost.It has been rescheduled.Ned Flanagan has been deferred by the promoters themselves,with very good reasons.Some new promotions already added to the calender for 2017 including a return to the Pheonix Park in late May and a second promotion in Bohermeen in late July.A stand alone Provincial Champs in late August are just some that come to mind.So there has been lots happening in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

This might sound stupid, but the appeal of the Traders cup in February was the weather!. I just loved the challenge of the wind or the pissing rain. You'd be picking grit out of your teeth and ringing water from your over shoes, but you'd get a piping hot shower in the GAA tog-outs after.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

wav1 wrote:
    Traders Cup is not lost.It has been rescheduled.Ned Flanagan has been deferred by the promoters themselves,with very good reasons.Some new promotions already added to the calender for 2017 including a return to the Pheonix Park in late May and a second promotion in Bohermeen in late July.A stand alone Provincial Champs in late August are just some that come to mind.So there has been lots happening in the background.

Didn't see the phoenix park one which club is running that one?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

wav1 wrote: »

Woo Hoo, Park gallops back :)

Didn't see the phoenix park one which club is running that one?
    April 29th Noel O Neill Trophy Race Orwell Wheelers

Here's hoping Mike Pence doesn't arrange a surprise trip to Ireland....

Here's hoping Mike Pence doesn't arrange a surprise trip to Ireland....
    Or Trump..Stephen O Shea pulled off a great escape with the champs in 2016 but I don't think,even he,could get a wall built around the park that quick.

Or Trump..Stephen O Shea pulled off a great escape with the champs in 2016 but I don't think,even he,could get a wall built around the park that quick.
    You want to build a wall around the Park to keep Trump in? I can see quite a lot of sense in that

:pac:

I did say at the start of this thread that there were very good reasons behind the cancellation of the Flanagan Race.The announcement today of the death of Newbridge CC member Jonathan Malone confirms those very reasons.Jonathan,a young married man and dad had been ill for some time.He is the son of John the organiser of all the Newbridge races and a Trojan worker.To all the Malone family and Newbridge CC condolences from all at Drogheda Wheelers and beyond.RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

I did say at the start of this thread that there were very good reasons behind the cancellation of the Flanagan Race.The announcement today of the death of Newbridge CC member Jonathan Malone confirms those very reasons.Jonathan,a young married man and dad had been ill for some time.He is the son of John the organiser of all the Newbridge races and a Trojan worker.To all the Malone family and Newbridge CC condolences from all at Drogheda Wheelers and beyond.RIP.

indeed a lovely lad Rip and condolences to his family and clubmates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Before I was ever involved in cycling I knew John Malone and his wife Lavinia through the work they did with the scouts in Kildare Town, they took my daughter Emma and loads of other kids all over Ireland and abroad and brought them all home safe everytime.

RIP Jonathon and commiserations to his family and friends and all in Newbridge CC

Advertisement