Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting potatoes

Options
  • 07-01-2017 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

So i planted sprouted potatoes but I have no idea when you can harvest them. I only planted 2, in my garden just for a mini project. Would someone be able to give me a rough estimate ? Its been 2 weeks.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

So i planted sprouted potatoes but I have no idea when you can harvest them. I only planted 2, in my garden just for a mini project. Would someone be able to give me a rough estimate ? Its been 2 weeks.
    Thanks.

Frost is going to be their biggest enemy. I don't want to be pessimistic, but I think they don't have a snowballs hope in hell of surviving, the earliest you could plant spuds (in a glasshouse or tunnel) would be middle of Feb.-and at that, you would want to mind 'em like babies!

What variety are they? Some (early varietys) will mature in about 10-12 weeks, whereas more maincrop varietys could take up to 20 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

invicta wrote: »
    Frost is going to be their biggest enemy. I don't want to be pessimistic, but I think they don't have a snowballs hope in hell of surviving, the earliest you could plant spuds (in a glasshouse or tunnel) would be middle of Feb.-and at that, you would want to mind 'em like babies!

What variety are they? Some (early varietys) will mature in about 10-12 weeks, whereas more maincrop varietys could take up to 20 weeks

Oh dear.
    Would i be better off bringing them inside and put them in a pot on the windowsil?
    I am going to have double check on them, morning, to see.
    I have a few pics i took before planting them Il throw up, later on.
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Oh dear.
    Would i be better off bringing them inside and put them in a pot on the windowsil?
    I am going to have double check on them, morning, to see.
    I have a few pics i took before planting them Il throw up, later on.
    Thanks.

It would be some windowsill to hold a pot big enough for growing potties. Post the pictures till we see.

It would be some windowsill to hold a pot big enough for growing potties. Post the pictures till we see.

Even if its one !?
    I was hoping to use a small plastic pot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Maybe a large plastic pot say 10l minimum? Then don't fill the pot only fill it just over half way then top the growing medium up to the top of the pot as the plant grows.

The other problem (other than temperature) is light level this time of year. Just not enough light for good growth.

• Advertisement

This just taken this morning, I can't really tell if there is any signs of growth or not. I also included a pic of the pot I could place one in.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s4y0ow31xec04jv/AABbAZPv_blV89WEb6StGeD_a?dl=0

These taken 2 weeks ago, a week after planting them.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0lh1nzpzz5n2snw/AABm180WAQ1x7MZ_z4vYgAk4a?dl=0

Any tips on where I go from here ?

p.s. if you can't see pics try refreshing the page after you clicked on the link.

Shall I just start a fresh growth in mid-Feb so, seeing Ill have no growth.
    So I would get the pot my3cents recommended and prepare it like he said, but would that be outside or inside ?
    What variety shall I use to give me the fastest growth, as I want to have it harvested by early April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Shall I just start a fresh growth in mid-Feb so, seeing Ill have no growth.
    So I would get the pot my3cents recommended and prepare it like he said, but would that be outside or inside ?
    What variety shall I use to give me the fastest growth, as I want to have it harvested by early April.

Do that but potatoes take 70 to 120 days for harvesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

Get yourself some grow bags and half fill with soil... afaik you can get 3 bags for €10 shop around you'll probably get cheaper...Plant about 4 spuds in it mid Feb and keep topping up with soil as the stalks grow...Keep it sheltered from frost... You'll have nice salad spuds around end of April to mid may... It's not the right time of year to be planting now... We planted our main crop two years ago early march and the frost destroyed them...

Advertisement