Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL Paramedic Studies/General Information on Paramedics

Options
  • 07-01-2017 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,

Im interested in training to become a paramedic

I understand the driving categories needed.

I volunteer at St Johns Ambulance and have done a first responder course with them.

I also hope to do a first aider course and EMT course

I understand that the HSE have done intakes in 2016 so will be unlikely to do another for a few years?

Im just concerned that by the time they do another intake they will be looking applicants with degree level. Is the UL degree full time for 4 years?

Also is there an age limit on applicants Im 42 I can not see this information on HSE site

Many thanks for reading and any information is gratefully received

Regards,
    Noel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

The HSE has done several intakes in 2016 and more are on the cards for 2017. All part of the agreement recently that averted the strike. You dont need any medical qualifications to apply (but if you have some its an advantage). There is no age limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Irishlad765

Hi

Just to add to this post the Hse are recruiting again this year. Also your better off doing an emt course and forget about the UL course. Don't get me wrong it's an excellent course as I know a few of the instructors but it's a 4 year full time course and it currently is NOT recognised by Phecc.
    So long story short if you do that course you will have a degree but your will not be recognised as a paramedic and therefore cannot practice as one.
    Personally, I'd say get the emt done and see how you find that and if it's still paramedic you want then apply when the Hse take on people again, or look at doing the Diploma in Emergency Medical Science in UCD as that is phecc recognised.

Hope this helps and best of luck in your journey

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Kadiea

Noel, there was a varied age group on my course. Oldest was 51 so on the next recruit apply. Best of luck.

Advertisement