Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring rent allowance

Options
  • 07-01-2017 9:15pm

I did check, saw previous thread, but it was closed, as it was a zombie thread.

So , finally after weeks of searching, found a place that will accept rent Allowance. My worry is, that when we try to transfer , we will get the run- a -round, as per usual from Social welfare.

Obviously, we cant leave the new Landlord waiting too long, and we dont want to lose the place. We are hoping it could be done within a week , as they already have all the relevant information

Would any one have any idea of how difficult this may be?

thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

Jake1 wrote: »
    I did check, saw previous thread, but it was closed, as it was a zombie thread.

So , finally after weeks of searching, found a place that will accept rent Allowance. My worry is, that when we try to transfer , we will get the run- a -round, as per usual from Social welfare.

Obviously, we cant leave the new Landlord waiting too long, and we dont want to lose the place. We are hoping it could be done within a week , as they already have all the relevant information

Would any one have any idea of how difficult this may be?

thanks for any help

Rent allowance cannot be transferred if you move to another property. Y ou need to make a new c!aim. Contact your Community welfare officer. It could all be done in a week or two but many areas have changed over to a new housing benefit called HAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Vast experience of this and facing it again imminently.

Yes you have to reapply to each new area/county.

Helps if you assemble all the paperwork you know you will need and there is a lot; I am ordering eg three month;s bank statements today to go to the new address and that will double as proof of residence,

Last time when I moved to Kerry, I found where the right person would be at any time for eg a "clinic" and met her there and it was very fast indeed,

Yes HAP in some areas. I was getting into deep waters as my new county has HAP but talked to a tenancy adviser at threshold and when she heard my age said that they will simply continue my Rent Allowance and I think that applies to others?

So contact the office at your new place and start gathering! I have the email address of the nearest welfare office so will start there.

And be prepared to cope; I managed last time financially but not easy I know. .good luck

Just realised that you meant in the same county; sorry and yes a much faster process then, more like a rent allowance review.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Just realised that you meant in the same county; sorry and yes a much faster process then, more like a rent allowance review.

Thanks Grace.

Im really hoping they keep it simple.

Jake1 wrote: »
    Thanks Grace.

Im really hoping they keep it simple.

Hope so too.. Any delay will be that they need to see the new place. I was lucky as they did not bother with this house, My searching out where the CWO was going to be that day helped greatly too.

So you need to be in the house too?

Good luck .

• Advertisement
Advertisement