Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maintenance

Options
  • 07-01-2017 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

For a non-monitored alarm I understand you should get a registered alarm installer to check your system once a year. What is the typical fee for this service?

Can you get any registered alarm installer to carry out this service? Or does it depend on the equipment you get installed or the company you decide to go with for your alarm installation (e.g. PhoneWatch)?

If you have a non-monitored alarm and it has not logged any faults, wouldn't you be safe enough without any "servicing" once a year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Putt it there

For a non-monitored alarm I understand you should get a registered alarm installer to check your system once a year. What is the typical fee for this service?

Can you get any registered alarm installer to carry out this service? Or does it depend on the equipment you get installed or the company you decide to go with for your alarm installation (e.g. PhoneWatch)?

If you have a non-monitored alarm and it has not logged any faults, wouldn't you be safe enough without any "servicing" once a year?

Servicing an alarm from 2 years after an installation is a must really - many faults can occur besides the ones your keypad alerts you to . A service and maintenance normally covers 2 visits a year and costs about €90 - €130 per annum depending on system size

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

Servicing an alarm from 2 years after an installation is a must really - many faults can occur besides the ones your keypad alerts you to . A service and maintenance normally covers 2 visits a year and costs about €90 - €130 per annum depending on system size

Thanks. So if you only wanted one visited a year would it typically cost 45-65 euro?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Could vary anywhere from €60 to €170 depending on what company you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Well OP if you have the latest Phonewatch system then no one else can service or maintain it other than them and they will charge you accordingly.

Insurers like alarms to be maintained as it complies with EN50131

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭BenAndJerry

Hi Guys,

Is there somewhere I can find a list of companies that provide monitoring services?

I'm out of contract with PhoneWatch and looking at my options. I have an alarm that was installed eight years ago and which I believe is not locked down to PhoneWatch so I have options.

PhoneWatch have agreed to continuing monitoring it at a reduced cost of €23 per month but I'm not sure if this is good or bad? It's a wired alarm in a four bed semi-detached home with a fair few sensors (I haven't gone around and counted them, sorry) and three PIRs.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Any PSA licenced installer can provide you with maintenance and monitoring. Beware of agreeing anything with PW that offers you their new system. You will be tied to them if you do.

What are they giving you for your € 276 a year?

Hi Kub,

"The level of cover we offer is an all-inclusive level, you would be entitled to as many call outs as you need, free replacement of parts on the system and the emergency break in cover." - to quote them!

Ta

I agree with KoolKid, be very weary of them offering you an upgrade even if it is free.
    Maintenance and Monitoring can be provided by any PSA Licensed contractor.
    Price around, I am pessimistic about parts availability in the long term on the equipment you have installed, I am sure their solution is an upgrade to a closed protocol system.

Thanks guys.

I won't be upgrading the alarm with them as that will lock me in and I have seen here that's best avoided.

However, does then price seem reasonable to support my existing alarm system and provide monitoring?

Thanks

• Advertisement

I have to laugh at the all inclusive cover. What else would it be considering you dont own any of the equipment .
    But yet they charge you per extra device even though you are renting it.

KoolKid wrote: »
    I have to laugh at the all inclusive cover. What else would it be considering you dont own any of the equipment .
    But yet they charge you per extra device even though you are renting it.

I read their statement wrong, i had assumed that they were specific about the posters equipment, however this is for their and i emphasize THEIR of course :D, equipment.

They are good for a laugh.

Advertisement