Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backup Software

Options
  • 07-01-2017 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

Looking for recommendations for Backup Software for a small business startup.

Ideally something that might have some sort of non user intervention after initial setup. Maybe like, perform backup on detection of Ext USB drive or something?

Will be backing up mainly Excel, Word documents and Outlook emails, address-book etc. maybe backing up the Outlook .pst file will cover everything email related?

What would you recommend?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Depends on how the business runs its IT.

If you have your own server in the office use windows backups to that and a service like Backblaze/Crashplan/Carbonite. I use Crashplan but not super happy with them (unfortunately no alternative meets my requirements). They do have an Irish datacentre though for business clients

If its all standalone PCs/Laptops then those same providers will allow you to backup from each client directly. IMO dealing with decentralized email that way is messy but if thats your current configuration it will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

ED E wrote: »
    Depends on how the business runs its IT.

If you have your own server in the office use windows backups to that and a service like Backblaze/Crashplan/Carbonite. I use Crashplan but not super happy with them (unfortunately no alternative meets my requirements). They do have an Irish datacentre though for business clients

If its all standalone PCs/Laptops then those same providers will allow you to backup from each client directly. IMO dealing with decentralized email that way is messy but if thats your current configuration it will work.

It will be all standalone and very small to start with. Initially it will be a one person operation requiring that person to operate both from base (office) and at clients locations. For that reason (due to the mobility aspect) it is intended to use a Laptop for offsite and the same Laptop for on-site but via a docking station. The reasoning behind that for now is it will limit the backup requirement to one machine as opposed to a Laptop and Desktop and eliminate the requirement to Sync both machines.

The data will be sensitive and it is intended to maintain one off-site backup on an external drive and one cloud based backup.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Depending on sensitivity and industry there may be standards in place you need to comply with. You'll pay for this. The onus on Data Controllers (that person would be one if any client data is collected) is quite high now so its worth getting familiar with the guidelines before starting.

ED E wrote: »
    Depending on sensitivity and industry there may be standards in place you need to comply with. You'll pay for this. The onus on Data Controllers (that person would be one if any client data is collected) is quite high now so its worth getting familiar with the guidelines before starting.

When you say comply, all I can tell you is that the individual is both very skilled and professional so I've no doubt that they know what legal requirement are involved regarding the security and privacy of the clients data.

The question here is simply relating to finding recommendations for a good software to carry out the actual backup and the easier it is to setup and use the better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

okay, i can personally recommend a product called mozypro.

it was easy to setup, and we basically used it for a group of VIPs who were on the road a lot (no longer in use ). it was reasonable priced, and easy to setup and use.

Phil

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭AndersLimpar

If its only one person then Microsoft Office comes with 1TB of storage in the cloud that can be accesses from anywhere and on any device. That's what I use and never had any problems with it and its a real time sync too!

If its only one person then Microsoft Office comes with 1TB of storage in the cloud that can be accesses from anywhere and on any device. That's what I use and never had any problems with it and its a real time sync too!

Which version of Offices has that 1TB of storage in the cloud?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭AndersLimpar

Which version of Offices has that 1TB of storage in the cloud?
    Office 365 Personal. Cost me €69 per year for the full office suite and 1TB OneDrive storage.

https://products.office.com/en-ie/office-365-personal

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Be careful with some of the online backup offerings, they are actually file syncing services and not true backup services. For example if you delete a file on the PC then normally it'll disappear from the online repository after X number of days. Also syncing services may not keep file versions, they only keep the last version.

Personally I use Spideroak for my backup solution.

Advertisement