Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What oven trays / dishes etc?

Options
  • 07-01-2017 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭

My "cooking" process up until now has always been:

1: Preheat oven
    2. Open packaging with my one and only knife, a €5 bread knife.
    3: Place food in the oven on the big black grill/roasting rack thing (see image below).
    4: Throw packaging in bin.
    5: Take packaging out of bin and read instructions: i.e. Fan Oven, 25 minutes, 175 degrees.
    6: Chop a carrot with previously mentioned bread knife.
    7: Throw the carrot in boiling water with some pasta, timing it to be ready with the food from the oven.

41typnDyk8L._SX300_.jpg

I want to stop cooking everything on the big black grill/roasting pan because it's too big to easily clean in the sink. In fact I've already thrown it out.

I live alone so I don't cook for anyone else. I eat mainly chicken, sometimes fish, practically no red meat. I wouldn't usually buy or cook a full chicken; it would more likely be chicken pieces or shop-bought chicken kiev. I'm looking to broaden my horizons and to start cooking things that actually require ingredients and preparation rather than the process I outlined at the start. I don't ever see myself baking cakes though; I'm mainly thinking about dinner.

Here's my question: What are the main 2 or 3 oven pans/dishes/trays/racks/sheets that I should be buying? It's a small apartment kitchen, so I don't have much space; its important to me that they're easy to clean, and easy to store, and versatile in terms of what they can be used for.

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm not looking for specific brand recommendations, neccessarily. I'm more looking for advice on the size and type of dishes/trays (or whatever) I should get.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Buy a flat baking tray and a roasting tin and cover them with baking parchment when you're using them. That way they won't even get dirty, and if they do it will be easy to clean them. If you're roasting something like chicken portions with vegetables, cover the roasting tin with tinfoil and then parchment :)

If you want to make a casserole type meal you can get glass Pyrex casserole dishes in Woodies, Dunnes, Homestore & More etc. The lid can be used separately for a pie. I find glass easy to clean.

Advertisement