Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Australian Shepherd

• 08-01-2017 3:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for some help here.
    I've been looking for an Australian Shepherd (ideally a puppy) for a number of months now, but as of yet, have found none in Ireland!
    I feel like I may be looking in the wrong places and perhaps someone here might know of a better place to look?

Any help will be much appropriated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I have an Australian Shepherd, I took her with me from Mainland Europe when I moved here. I know the breed quite well, because I'm quite close to Aussie-Breeders and her mother is a certified breeding bitch.
    The thing is there is no active breeder afaik so all you can do is looking into the direction of GB or the mainland. They are popular dogs in the german-speaking area as well as USA, since they are originally an american breed. Personally I wouldn't go for american since most of them still remove the tail after birth, which is not allowed in Europe.

You will have to factor a lot of travel costs in to get one to Ireland. (I paid around 1500 Euros altogether just to get her here)

If it's the character, that attracts you a lot, they are quite similar to Border Collies, just a bit more stubborn and bossy.
    If it is mainly the blue-merle colour (not judging here, I just know it's super popular where I come from and people pick dogs because of that), there are also collies with it as well. Merle always needs to be bred properly since it is a difficult gene. Mine is a black-tri, her mother is a blue merle.
    In general they are quite healthy, just tend to epilepsy, that is an increasing problem due to bad breeding in some lines.

I love mine, she was a nightmare puppy (I raised a few pups and after her I'll definitely never do it again), but I love her and she was worth every cent to bring her with me.

You can send a PM, I think I can answer you a lot of questions and recommend you some european breeders if you want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Advertisement