Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 Children car seats in Hybrid/Electric

• 08-01-2017 10:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, so I currently have 2 cars. Both are 2ltr diesel engine and a little heavy on juice. Really I only need one diesel car for long motorwat driving which I do once or twice a week so looking to swap the other car for something less dependent on oil.

Majority of driving in other car will be city driving or running to shops/drop kids to school etc.

main issue is I have 2 kids( 3 and 18 months) and 1 due in May 17. The 3 year old is in booster with back and 2 year old will be in Axiss and then junior will be in Maxi Cosi with isofix base.

The main question at the moment is if there is a hybrid/electric car big enough to hold 3 kids plus buggy in boot? The Leaf looks tiny and the other electric I have seen are not much bigger, correct me if I am wrong here?

So am I looking at hybrid?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

We've a three year old, 18 month old and 2 month old. We're waiting on VW Sharan (awful name) at the moment.

The amount of cars (irrespective of drivetrain) that suited us and could carry a large double buggy - without wrecking our backs getting them in or out - is absolutely tiny.

We've a Superb combi and LD Discovery, so it's not like we're coming from small cars. The thought of a VW diesel MPV is depressing but there wasn't anything out there that matched it in terms of practicality. The mother in law has a T8 xc90 and while that's an amazing machine and would fit our lot, it still wouldn't be ideal for another year or two... also it costs 90 plus grand.

There may be more options soon irc Peugeots 5008 new car should have a hybrid option and will be rare beast being an SUV with the independent seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

We've a three year old, 18 month old and 2 month old. We're waiting on VW Sharan (awful name) at the moment.

The amount of cars (irrespective of drivetrain) that suited us and could carry a large double buggy - without wrecking our backs getting them in or out - is absolutely tiny.

We've a Superb combi and LD Discovery, so it's not like we're coming from small cars. The thought of a VW diesel MPV is depressing but there wasn't anything out there that matched it in terms of practicality. The mother in law has a T8 xc90 and while that's an amazing machine and would fit our lot, it still wouldn't be ideal for another year or two... also it costs 90 plus grand.

There may be more options soon irc Peugeots 5008 new car should have a hybrid option and will be rare beast being an SUV with the independent seats.

One of the cars is Ford SMAX so similar to Sharan, the Sharan is a little bit bigger.

I am waiting for the 5008 but I would be just swapping a diesel for a diesel. Really I will have one large car(SMAX or new version) which I will use for long drives and really weekend with kids etc

I am looking for another car for town driving but majority of time I wont have all 3 kids in it, 90% of time it would be solo driving but there will be days where I need to have the option of all 3 kids in it if only for short drive(e.g. pick up from babysitter)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ok, so I currently have 2 cars. Both are 2ltr diesel engine and a little heavy on juice. Really I only need one diesel car for long motorwat driving which I do once or twice a week so looking to swap the other car for something less dependent on oil.

Majority of driving in other car will be city driving or running to shops/drop kids to school etc.

main issue is I have 2 kids( 3 and 18 months) and 1 due in May 17. The 3 year old is in booster with back and 2 year old will be in Axiss and then junior will be in Maxi Cosi with isofix base.

The main question at the moment is if there is a hybrid/electric car big enough to hold 3 kids plus buggy in boot? The Leaf looks tiny and the other electric I have seen are not much bigger, correct me if I am wrong here?

So am I looking at hybrid?

Thanks

Nissan E-NV200 is a fully electric option. There is both a 5 seat and 7 seat option. Loads of boot space since it is actually just a passenger version of a small commercial van. Same drivetrain and battery as the 24kwh Leaf. Downsides are that the range is a bit less than the 24kwh Leaf as the Env200 is a larger and less aerodynamic vehicle and obviously it isn't much of a looker.

https://www.nissan.co.uk/vehicles/new-vehicles/e-nv200-combi.html

Nissan E-NV200 is a fully electric option. There is both a 5 seat and 7 seat option. Loads of boot space since it is actually just a passenger version of a small commercial van. Same drivetrain and battery as the 24kwh Leaf. Downsides are that the range is a bit less than the 24kwh Leaf as the Env200 is a larger and less aerodynamic vehicle and obviously it isn't much of a looker.

https://www.nissan.co.uk/vehicles/new-vehicles/e-nv200-combi.html

What sort of distance before recharge?

Never seen this before, interesting but it is shocking looking....

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    What sort of distance before recharge?

Never seen this before, interesting but it is shocking looking....

Have read on other forums that real world range for the env is around 80 miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Have read on other forums that real world range for the env is around 80 miles.
    Much less in winter as it doesn't have the heat pump that leaf 1.5 has, so similar to leaf gen1.0.
    Also doesn't seem to be sold here, perhaps on special order? I enquired and was told they only do the van.

I have 2 Child seats and I reckon I could fit a 3rd (not that I plan to)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Prius+ is a 7 seater with 3 individual eats in the middle row (which seems the be the secret to fitting 3 child seats).

I looked at it before but the interior was awful and it was slower than the Prius as it had no more power and it wasn't cheap. The 2017 looks to be a refresh rather than based on the new Prius. There is plenty of space though and leather seats would make it a nicer place to be, but there was €5K off when we were looking (due to delays on the new Verso) and that wasn't enough to sway us.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV?

5 full seats, plus big boot. It is a 4x4 SUV.

50+ km electric range (probably 40km real world). Plenty for typical city driving (dropping kids to school, sport, shopping, etc.) but also has the petrol engine for those long trips, with decent MPG (at least for such a large car of this type).

Lots available in the UK second hand for very good prices.

bk wrote: »

50+ km electric range (probably 40km real world). Plenty for typical city driving (dropping kids to school, sport, shopping, etc.) but also has the petrol engine for those long trips, with decent MPG (at least for such a large car of this type).

I didn't find they were all that big on the inside for 3 child seats. Having said that there is one on Carzone for €25K which I'd certainly consider if I was in the market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

axe2grind wrote: »
    Much less in winter as it doesn't have the heat pump that leaf 1.5 has, so similar to leaf gen1.0.
    Also doesn't seem to be sold here, perhaps on special order? I enquired and was told they only do the van.

I asked one of the Windsor dealers in Dublin around the time the eNV200 was launched and they had it on their system.

The eNV200 is getting an LG Chem pack in the summer that should roughly double the range.

I have 2 Child seats and I reckon I could fit a 3rd (not that I plan to)

In what car?

bk wrote: »

I was just looking at one of these last night.....worth a view

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Im interested in the outlander myself. But when I was at a mitsi dealer, he said that 3 child seats would not fit. I didn't ask him, he just volunteered the info.

It comes in a 7 seater, but that's the diesel version.

cros13 wrote: »

The eNV200 is getting an LG Chem pack in the summer that should roughly double the range.

Thanks for that info cros. Is that a definite because the only stuff I can find online says the Kangoo ZE is getting the Zoe's 41kwh LG Chem battery but no mention of the env200 getting it?

If it does happen the prospect of a large 7 seat family EV with a real world range of 150miles / 240km in the same price point of the likes of Ford S-Max and VW Tourans of this world is enticing and a definite step forward for EVs becoming more mainstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭steelboots

From my experience you need cars with 3 individual seats as the seats & seat belts are evenly spaced. I have 4 kids ages 8+ and cant fit 3 boosters in the back of the leaf so generally I put the oldest child in the middle with no booster and the two on the outside with boosters....

steelboots wrote: »
    From my experience you need cars with 3 individual seats as the seats & seat belts are evenly spaced. I have 4 kids ages 8+ and cant fit 3 boosters in the back of the leaf so generally I put the oldest child in the middle with no booster and the two on the outside with boosters....

Assuming you mean 8 Months + :pac: as I can't imagine it being practical to put an 8 year old into a baby seat, or a booster seat even.

I'm in similar situation. 5 kids. Aged 14 months, 4yr, 6, 10, 13.

Zafira is used mostly when the kids are going anywhere. 3 boosters would be a tight fit. We get away with one baby seat and one booster in the back 3 seats. 2 boosters can go in the back 2 seats if need be.

goz83 wrote: »

Assuming you mean 8 Months + :pac: as I can't imagine it being practical to put an 8 year old into a baby seat, or a booster seat even.

I'm in similar situation. 5 kids. Aged 14 months, 4yr, 6, 10, 13.

Zafira is used mostly when the kids are going anywhere. 3 boosters would be a tight fit. We get away with one baby seat and one booster in the back 3 seats. 2 boosters can go in the back 2 seats if need be.
    No I mean 8yrs plus. Its the law to use a child restraint for kids 12 years or less.

No I mean 8yrs plus. Its the law to use a child restraint for kids 12 years or less.

Wrong

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Road-Safety/Campaigns/Current-road-safety-campaigns/No-Child-Car-Seat---No-Excuse/The-Law/

Going by age would be stupid. My kids are very tall for their age, but my brothers son is tiny. He is 10 and my 6 year old is taller than him. My 4 year old is about 2-3 inches shorter. When my nephew is 12, he will still be too small to be legally allowed to do without a booster seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,826 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Its the law to use a child restraint for kids 12 years or less.

Not correct. It has nothing to do with age.

Linky

As long as the child is either 36kg or 150cm tall, they do not need any child restraints. My 10 and 12 year olds fall into this category

Once they are 22kg or 125cm tall, they only need a booster cushion (under their bum). This applies to my 8 year old

• Advertisement

You can get narrow boosters. I think I got mine in halfords (but I don't see it up there now). It's about 1.5 inches narrower than a normal booster, so I could fit 2 boosters and a large infant seat in a Verso.

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭KCross

unkel wrote: »
    Not correct. It has nothing to do with age.

Linky

As long as the child is either 36kg or 150cm tall, they do not need any child restraints. My 10 and 12 year olds fall into this category

Once they are 22kg or 125cm tall, they only need a booster cushion (under their bum). This applies to my 8 year old

I think you might be misinterpreting the "or" incorrectly but open to correction.

It says: "All children under 150cms in height or 36kgs (79lbs) in weight must use a child restraint system (CRS)..."

I'd read that as... if they are under 150cm OR under 36kgs they must use a CRS. You are reading it differently and saying as long as they hit 150cm or 36kgs they dont need it.

e.g. if you are 140cm but 40kg I would say you need a CRS. By your definition you dont.

Anyone care to clear that up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,826 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'm pretty sure I interpreted it correctly. As in once the child either reaches a certain weight or height (whichever comes first), they don't need a restraint any more.

Wrong

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Road-Safety/Campaigns/Current-road-safety-campaigns/No-Child-Car-Seat---No-Excuse/The-Law/

Going by age would be stupid. My kids are very tall for their age, but my brothers son is tiny. He is 10 and my 6 year old is taller than him. My 4 year old is about 2-3 inches shorter. When my nephew is 12, he will still be too small to be legally allowed to do without a booster seat.
    Ok, what ever, but lets stick to the point and question in this board You will struggle to fit 3 kids (aged 3yrs, 18mts and new born) in the back of the leaf with any kind of comfort, also if your only doing low mileage not sure if an EV is going to get you the savings. I would be inclined to go 7 seater (in case another comes along down the road) petrol car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭oinkely

narrow booster seats here: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/All-Ride-Booster-Seat-Grey-Narrow-To-fit-a-Small-Car-/182357262404?hash=item2a75570044:g:quQAAOSwiONYLdIA

I can fit 3 of these in the back of a leaf no problem. Kids find them to be perfectly comfortable and they make a lot more sense than the usual booster seats. How big do manufacturers think kids arses should be? Or I can fit a proper group 1 baby seat and two of these which is our usual set up. It can be a bit fiddly getting at the seatbelt receivers but a seatbelt extender can help greatly in with this.

Pretty sure I didn't pay that much for them though - more like a tenner each.

oinkely wrote: »
    It can be a bit fiddly getting at the seatbelt receivers but a seatbelt extender can help greatly in with this.

Seatbelt extenders should not be used with child seats.

oinkely wrote: »
    narrow booster seats here: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/All-Ride-Booster-Seat-Grey-Narrow-To-fit-a-Small-Car-/182357262404?hash=item2a75570044:g:quQAAOSwiONYLdIA

I can fit 3 of these in the back of a leaf no problem. Kids find them to be perfectly comfortable and they make a lot more sense than the usual booster seats. How big do manufacturers think kids arses should be? Or I can fit a proper group 1 baby seat and two of these which is our usual set up. It can be a bit fiddly getting at the seatbelt receivers but a seatbelt extender can help greatly in with this.

Pretty sure I didn't pay that much for them though - more like a tenner each.

Backless boosters are no good for the OP as they'd probably run afoul of the new law governing their use. I'd say it won't be long before they're banned outright. We've almost the same kids ages as the OP, I can't imagine the Leaf being in any way suitable.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well a Tesla Model S or X so. Seemingly Elon Musk specifically designed the Tesla S to take three kids seats in the back as he has three kids himself.

They certainly seem big enough and plenty of trunk space front and back too. You can even get a 7 seater Tesla Model S. Though be careful with that someone might call the cops on you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I5WylWtkaE

Of course all a little expensive!

• Advertisement

Backless boosters are no good for the OP as they'd probably run afoul of the new law governing their use. I'd say it won't be long before they're banned outright. We've almost the same kids ages as the OP, I can't imagine the Leaf being in any way suitable.

Backless boosters are not being banned. It's just that new group II seats will not be given Type approval if they are backless. Any currently available seats will continue to be legal and continue to be sold. It's only new designs that must have a back. See the last paragraph of the below article.

http://m.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/new-child-car-seat-law-will-see-the-backless-booster-being-banned-for-smaller-children-34664673.html

Having said all that, backless seats may of be as safe as backed ones.

stimpson wrote: »
    Backless boosters are not being banned. It's just that new group II seats will not be given Type approval if they are backless. Any currently available seats will continue to be legal and continue to be sold. It's only new designs that must have a back. See the last paragraph of the below article.

http://m.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/new-child-car-seat-law-will-see-the-backless-booster-being-banned-for-smaller-children-34664673.html

Having said all that, backless seats may of be as safe as backed ones.

I didn't say they were, I'm speculating that the might be banned eventually. Tony Kealys were refusing to sell any more of them. It's not because they're as safe the backed models.

I didn't say they were, I'm speculating that the might be banned eventually. Tony Kealys were refusing to sell any more of them. It's not because they're as safe the backed models.

They're not going to be banned. They just aren't going to get approval any more. That way they can be phased out.

I was reading a book called Freakinomics about (among other things) safety and child seats by looking at the actual data. The biggest contributors to safety are sitting in the back of the car, followed by being at the correct height so that the shoulder belt and lap belt sit properly. The extra protection provided by child seats for back/side impact are marginal improvements. They used to have the chapter online but I can't find it. They do discuss some matters related to it here http://freakonomics.com/tag/car-seats/. The book is well worth a read if you can get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,726 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Im interested in the outlander myself. But when I was at a mitsi dealer, he said that 3 child seats would not fit. I didn't ask him, he just volunteered the info.

It comes in a 7 seater, but that's the diesel version.

Same here he had both instock but had no interest in selling the PHEV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,726 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'd say the reason is that backless ones cost 8 euro and ones with a back cost much more, so there's a bigger profit to be had

Advertisement