Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

3 Children car seats in Hybrid/Electric

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

stimpson wrote: »
    Backless boosters are not being banned. It's just that new group II seats will not be given Type approval if they are backless. Any currently available seats will continue to be legal and continue to be sold. It's only new designs that must have a back. See the last paragraph of the below article.

http://m.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/new-child-car-seat-law-will-see-the-backless-booster-being-banned-for-smaller-children-34664673.html

Having said all that, backless seats may of be as safe as backed ones.

I didn't say they were, I'm speculating that the might be banned eventually. Tony Kealys were refusing to sell any more of them. It's not because they're as safe the backed models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I didn't say they were, I'm speculating that the might be banned eventually. Tony Kealys were refusing to sell any more of them. It's not because they're as safe the backed models.

They're not going to be banned. They just aren't going to get approval any more. That way they can be phased out.

I was reading a book called Freakinomics about (among other things) safety and child seats by looking at the actual data. The biggest contributors to safety are sitting in the back of the car, followed by being at the correct height so that the shoulder belt and lap belt sit properly. The extra protection provided by child seats for back/side impact are marginal improvements. They used to have the chapter online but I can't find it. They do discuss some matters related to it here http://freakonomics.com/tag/car-seats/. The book is well worth a read if you can get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

goz83 wrote: »
    Im interested in the outlander myself. But when I was at a mitsi dealer, he said that 3 child seats would not fit. I didn't ask him, he just volunteered the info.

It comes in a 7 seater, but that's the diesel version.

Same here he had both instock but had no interest in selling the PHEV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'd say the reason is that backless ones cost 8 euro and ones with a back cost much more, so there's a bigger profit to be had

Advertisement